LegacyGT.com

Spare tire noise!

TheSoCalledJohn

So, I thoroughly messed up my stock tire when I got a flat and didn’t realize it until it was too late. :( Tire guys said I ran on it for too long and the inside sidewall was all blistered up when they inflated it. CRAP! Time for a new tire! Of course I’m too cheep to buy four nicer ones, I have to buy the craptastic RE92 to match the other three. And of course the tire store has to order it so it won’t be here for a couple days.

Now, on to the real problem…

I have had the mini-spare on the left rear for a couple days now, and whenever I drive there’s this low whining sound that I can’t pinpoint. It almost sounds like I’m driving a friggin electric car or something, it’s low when I first start out (I start hearing it at about 10 mph) and the pitch gets higher as I speed up. I can’t hear it at higher speeds (don’t worry, I keep it under 50), but that could be the wind noise masking it. Is the noise my differential crying towards a slow and expensive death, or is it just the doughnut doing what doughnuts do? :confused:

And if it is the differential, I know the rear diff is a viscous type, would it be better to move it to the front? I’m not sure how it would be different, but you never know.

Thanks for any help you can give me! :D

There are about 25k on the old tires. They didn't look too worn, so I thought it would be OK. I wouldn't think the circumfrence would change more than 2% over that time, would it? I would hate to think that my ONLY option was to buy four new tires. Oy!

sounds like the doughnut. tried tirerack.com???
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

the manual should clearly state not to run tires with different treadwears or different brands.

I realize that, but how different is too different. If the tires only had 5k miles on them I wouldn't think twice about it, but what about 25k? I could measure the tread depth and compare that to a new tire, but I still wouldn't know how much is too much. Is there anywhere I can find guidelines to that effect?

use a penny.

don't laugh, it's actually SOP for checking treadwear. turn lincoln upside down. i think there is 2mm from the lip to his head.

it's not a big deal to just buy one tire, you'll just need to spend $25 to get it shaved. any tireshop worth it's weight should be able to do it right away. if you've already got 25K on the tires, i'd consider just getting a new set of shoes. 5K is probably not too bad (as long as the tires aren't soft z rated rubber) but why gamble?

dR

Ahhh, so I need to get it shaved! That's the kind of info I was looking for! Though it does seem to be a waste to take a brand new tire and shave it down, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I would love to get new shoes now, I just don't have the cash. I know it'll cost me in the long run when I have to replace all four tires, but there's not much I can do about that now. Plus, I've already put a $25 deposit down for the shop to order the new tires. I'll have to start doing research so I know what I want to get when the time comes!

it's not a big deal to just buy one tire, you'll just need to spend $25 to get it shaved. any tireshop worth it's weight should be able to do it right away.

dR

OK, but what happens if I can't find anyplace that will shave the tire for me?!?! :mad:

I've called a bunch of places and most of the tire shops I've talked to don't even know what I'm talking about! One guy even told me he hasn't heard of anyone doing that in years. Great... so now I'm back to being forced to buy a whole new set?

Is there another option somebody can think of? I'm all ears!

Archived