LegacyGT.com

how to remove grill from 09?

From what I remember, the easiest way is to take off the front bumper. The grille is held on by some screws that are difficult to get to if the bumper is still on the car.

Here's an image of my bumper to show you what I'm talking about. The grille sits in the open space that is in the right portion of the picture.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8028/7581496634_7ae3e2994f_b.jpg

Ah, okay....Do you have any information on how to get the bumper off ? Ive got rid of every popit in sight, including behind the wheel well, and it's still not budging.

it seems to be connected somwhere behind where the license plate used to be.

There are locking tabs between the headlight and wheel well. It's a scary/firm pull but it will pop right off. The grill will be coming with it so be sure to disconnect the tabs on the top of it where the rad cross-member is
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Assuming the gt's are the same as the n/a's (which they should be)... you do not have to remove the bumper in the 09's.

My buddy with an 08 lgt insists that he DOES have to remove the bumper, but in my 09, i did not have to. A matter of fact, i can take my grill out in about 2 minutes.

Open the hood. There are some screws or plastic uphostery screw clips at the top of the grill.. maybe 2... maybe 4. cant remember. Then there are 4 (i think) 'clips.' You push in the little tabs on the clips, and that (along with the removed screws) sets the entire top of the assembly free... .The bottom rests in slots of some sort iirc.

Just kinda pull up at an angle. Wiggle a bit, and it should come free. Unless mine came broken from the factory! :lol:

If this makes no sense, i blame the cold meds. I can take a pic or something if really needed.

No...you just unbolt the twp bolts and take a small screwdriver and push in the the center of the top clip to unlock them and slide the grill forward.

Be careful with the bottom slip fit guides as you wiggle it forward.

If it takes more then 5 minutes your doing way to much.

I popped mine out of the wagon before I pulled the engine 2 weeks ago.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4684.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Update... Here is a pic. I took a pic of right HALF the grill, however the left side is exactly the same.

The Purple cirlcle is the upholstery style clip that needs to be undone. There are two total - one on each side.

The red cirlces are the holes where the grille clips secure the grille. Gently take a small screw driver and push into these holes (four total) and the clip should release. I have done this enough (swapped out my grille numerous times) that i think i have broken two of mine at this point... So be careful.

Once these six spots are freed, you should be able to just wiggle and pull forward and a bit upward iirc. No bumper removal needed.

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg490/jasejase1/grillhelp.jpg

I don't recall mine having any screws. Just the points I circled above. I can take another look, but I'm pretty sure.

possibly different on 09 in this aspect. theyre useless anyway.

another thought, if your not 1st owner maybe previous owner refused to put the useless screws back in, like me after the third time i removed it

The 08s have 6 screws holding the grille to the bumper, just as the 09s should. It's easier to remove the bumper skin (I got it down to a science and it takes all of 3 mins) but if you have small enough hands, and no hellas or anything else in the way, you can manage to get the screws off without removing it. I highly recommend a magnetic stubby screwdriver if you don't remove the bumper skin.

the ONLY reason to take off whole bumper is a FMIC (maybe hellas). it's not hard, you just cant see them. just feel for them. 2 screws.

Koji mod.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

no. i mean the only reason to take off the bumper to get the grill out is FMIC and maybe hellas because your hand wont fit. i understand that theyre numerous mods involving the removal of the bumper.

btw, got my Racer x in snug

Late to the party but I have removed the stock grill from both a 08 and a 09. Both of them had 6 screws in the back holding them down to the bumper. Get a mirror and screwdriver ready. Hope you have small hands.

Update... Here is a pic. I took a pic of right HALF the grill, however the left side is exactly the same.

The Purple cirlcle is the upholstery style clip that needs to be undone. There are two total - one on each side.

The red cirlces are the holes where the grille clips secure the grille. Gently take a small screw driver and push into these holes (four total) and the clip should release. I have done this enough (swapped out my grille numerous times) that i think i have broken two of mine at this point... So be careful.

Once these six spots are freed, you should be able to just wiggle and pull forward and a bit upward iirc. No bumper removal needed.

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg490/jasejase1/grillhelp.jpg

Strange. In addition to the parts you've circled, I, and a couple others in the thread, had the 6 additional screws holding the grille to the car. I wouldn't be able to slide/wiggle it off without breaking it. I damn near sliced my wrist open the first time I tried to get my hand in between the gap. Though, I drive an 09 3.0r. I wonder why there would be a difference :confused:

08 and 09 have an identical grille mounting, yes with screws. neither years require bumper removal- why? because i owned an 08 and 09 and removed the grille the same way for both. use a stubby philipshead screwdriver and hold the grille forward while you feel around the perimeter of the backside of the grille, once you feel the screws, unscrew them, there's also two tab clips on the inside of the grille right beneath the popit holes, may need to push those aside so the sides of the grille separates the TEH bumper.

all i have are the two popits on top, the grille doesn't move, at all. i even drove without the popits and the grille just clipped in at the top, doesn't budge, the hood holds it good there

Archived