LegacyGT.com

Hi Folks i currently own a '07 legacy special edition with the 2.5i...soon i would like to do a STI powertrain swap. Has anyone on the forums done this yet or am i the only idiot willing to spend the money? One of the biggest things that worries me is the NYS inspection...this is a daily driver and still needs to be inspected every year

Thanks,

Dustin

:rolleyes: Is the 07 paid for? If not, IMO trade the 07 in on the STi . You will be much happier. But in the end, whatever floats you boat. It's you money, but don't forget you will need upgrades to brakes & suspension to handle the extra 130+hp of the STi over the 2.5i.

IIRC the swaps has been done in the GT, not 2.5i. Some done motor swap & some done 6MT swap.

Good luck.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Hi Folks i currently own a '07 legacy special edition with the 2.5i...soon i would like to do a STI powertrain swap. Has anyone on the forums done this yet or am i the only idiot willing to spend the money? One of the biggest things that worries me is the NYS inspection...this is a daily driver and still needs to be inspected every year

Thanks,

Dustin

Not the most outlandish swap ever.

Keep in mind you're probably going to want to get your hands on an entire sti swap, including the brakes, hubs, halfshafts, rear diff, suspension bits, crossmember, etc, etc. Lots of research to find out what is compatable.

You're also going have to pretty much strip the interior to get at the main wiring harness and graft it together with the sti harness. Very difficult.

So, after roughly $10k+ of parts and ~80 hours of labor by a skilled shop (more to DIY), you have a car that is maybe worth $15K to the right buyer.

Or you could just pick up a spec.b and go stage 2 and have virtually the same thing.

Only way this makes any sort of sense is that if you have mad skills and tons of free time to DIY, and can get a screaming deal on the swap parts (maybe older low miles JDM WRX).

I actually throught about doing a sti swap into a tribeca, for about 5 minutes. Now that would be cool.

Not the most outlandish swap ever.

Buuuut one of the dumbest.

Only way this makes any sort of sense is that if you have mad skills and tons of free time to DIY, and can get a screaming deal on the swap parts (maybe older low miles JDM WRX).

:confused:There isn't a way this makes sense even sort of except if OP had a blown motor AND trans...and interior...and brakes...and had some electrical issues...

y u gotta be so mean breh

I hope you're joking! There truly are some very useful detailed threads on this that some people have put a lot if effort into that the op should read, that's all. I think what I said was a lot more useful than some other posts like "that's a dumb idea"....

Would I have sounded less mean with some emoticons? :rolleyes:

With bolt on's and tune alone. This comment really show's how willfully ignorant you are about this.

/unsubscribed.

Been there, done that......almost a decade ago now. And for probably less than half of what you've spent. Thanks for playing.

after parting out a wrecked 08 STI, I am a bit interested in doing the swap myself, plan on spending at least 60 hours taking all the parts of a totaled STI (the only economical way to get the parts) and then at least 40 hours taking everything out of your 2.5i, and then another 60+ hours getting the drivetrain, wiring harness, suspension, brakes, parts of the console (gauge cluster so security will let the car run with the STI computer). If you have never done a motor swap, this is not the right place to start. It is possible, and almost everything mechanical is transferable from an 08+STI, but it is a lot of work, and then some more. Plan to spend every evening working on your car, 4 hours a night, 5 days a week, and then 10 hours a day both days on the weekend, for at least 4 weeks. You need a garage big enough to disassemble the STI, store all the major components, and then roll your 2.5i in, and then take all the parts off that. I would be swapping in almost all the suspension from the STI onto my 05LGT, but almost all of it was destroyed when it was wrecked. Good luck, if you are going forward on this project, PM me, I will tell you about some pitfalls to avoid that I learned the hard way.:eek:

Been there, done that......almost a decade ago now. And for probably less than half of what you've spent. Thanks for playing.

So what you are claiming is that you have what I have, a decade ago, for less than half what I spent AND YOU ARE SUPPORTING AN STI BUILD OUT OF A 07 2.5i. You sir win the ULTIMATE CINCO DE MAYO FAIL AWARD.

Not with a legacy, but 100% true.

1. No one cares.

2. No one believes you.

3. No one whats to hear you flap your jaw off topic.

4. No one cares.

So what you are claiming is that you have what I have, a decade ago, for less than half what I spent AND YOU ARE SUPPORTING AN STI BUILD OUT OF A 07 2.5i. You sir win the ULTIMATE CINCO DE MAYO FAIL AWARD.

1. No one cares.

2. No one believes you.

3. No one whats to hear you flap your jaw off topic.

4. No one cares.

The jerk store called......:rolleyes:

No, what I'm saying is that an sti swap makes about as much sense as pushing a GT motor/tranny to 360 whp. That's not on a dynojet, right?

Let's step back here for a second. There are plenty of people who have done sti/wrx swaps on GC8 impreza's. The only major way this is different (and not the best idea) is that there is a turbo version of the legacy available already. If I was going to do it, I'd go with a 2.0l jdm sti swap as to have something unique.

Archived