LegacyGT.com

Replacement axles -- New or Remanufactured?

I am looking at the A1 Cardone Legacy (1995) axles at autopartswarehouse.com. The remanufactured cost between $50 and $60, while the new ones cost $120 - $130.

On a 17 year old car, would I have any reason to get new axles -- or will the remans do just fine?

Thanks,

Rob

For what it is worth Rob, my wife tore a couple of boots on the right axle of her beloved 95 L wagon, a few months ago. I put on a remanufactured axle. No issues. All is well. Please know that our old Subarus go a heck of a lot longer than 17 years...

Best.

Byll

Lots of people have issues with the cheap axles causing vibration. I got new EMPI axles from rock auto and they did cause a bit of vibration but it seems to be going away. If I was to get axles again though ide prob go with Raxles or MWE.

When a axle is bent when would you feel the vibration?

Mine is not from being bent I think it is from them being too short or the joints are too stiff. It vibrates more in gear stopped and when under load.

I have aftermarket axles on my car and indeed it suffers from that idle vibration. If I had known how much of a nuisance it would be, I would have forked over the extra cash...

How many miles have yours been on? I still might change mine out.

i could have sworn i already posted this, i must be getting old.

used subaru axles with new boots are a better choice than parts store remans or new.

subaru axles are a very very very high quality and as long as they are not making noise or clicking, new boots will put them back on the road for a very long time.

rebooting is messy and may cost as much as replacing the axle, but if you have subaru axles, (green inner cup) on the car, it is a much better solution than a cheap replacement.

All good food for thought. I have removed both axles from the car -- very hefty, heavy all-black affairs -- only one has a torn boot and may explain some vibration at higher speeds on the passenger front side.

I went to autozone and switched them both out for DuraLast remans -- then read horror stories about them on the web " .. to be avoided at all costs .. ", and reversed the transaction the next day. Indeed, the DuraLast remans look and feel like matchsticks compared to those on the car (not sure whether they're originals may well not be).

Then I went to NAPA and theirs look much more substantial than the DuraLast and have much better reports on the web.

Having read johnegg's comments I'm inclined to put the one with intact boots back on the car and swap the other for the NAPA reman. It's around $50 if you render your existing axle in exchange.

Archived