LegacyGT.com

Coincidence or Clutch Replacement Time?

TankTread

Hey guys. I have a 2006 LGT with 97K on it. I just recently wasted my time pulling the little banjo filter from the turbo line (completely clean but didn't want to tear into it again) and at the same time adjusted my clutch pedal following the service manual instructions. I adjusted the pedal because I felt that the gears could have been a little easier to shift and thought a little more available travel would help. I didn't have any clutch slipping issues before these changes, now I do when the turbo kicks in.

I noticed during the job the ser. manual says to push the clutch release fork to collapse the slave cylinder and watch the fluid in the master, but it seemed my fork was pretty close to the transmission casing and wouldn't allow further travel. The other consideration I had was maybe some oil that drips out of the turbo oil supply port found its way into the clutch area, but i didn't see any access points for it to get in there.

Reading through the posts it seems it may just be time to do the clutch job based on the car's miles. Maybe it's just a coincidence it started happening at the same time. Any comments or areas to check would be appreciated.

You should not have touched your clutch pedal adjustment. The clutch automatically adjusts to wear. That's what a hydraulic clutch does.

If you were seeing increased effort shifting into gears, it may be an indicator your clutch was pretty well worn and due for replacement. Seeing as how it slips in gear now, it's only a matter of time. You will need to have a new clutch installed in the next month or so, depending on how you drive and how badly it slips.

Un-adjust the clutch adjustment you did. Then see if it still slips.

But yes 97,000 miles, it may be time anyways. If its the OEM clutch, they are known not to be that stout.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I agree your clutch is going. My OEM died at 94k. Clutch started slipping like crazy and then the TOB went. I would replace it before you expierience your clutch pedal being stuck to the floor and having to have it towed like I did.

Appreciate the affirmation guys. Although not great news it seems my clutch has lasted longer than most.

I did the adjustment for the clutch pedal travel that seemed to be out of specification hoping it would clear up the shift issues at the same time. Let me say that trying to adjust threaded switch body and the threaded rod for the clutch pedal makes it difficult to get it in tolerance. Turned out to be wasted time and delivered nothing more than a kink in my back.

I have since moved the threaded rod back to having a completely free floating clevis pin at the threaded connection and the clutch has been behaving a little better. It's still going to be replacement time sooner than later.

When you replace the clutch, switch to Subaru Extra-S transmission fluid and see if your shifting and gear feel doesn't improve. Pretty much universal consensus among forum members is that shifting, and shift feel, becomes easier and smoother.

Archived