LegacyGT.com

05 brights HID problem...

Yeah... I know the 10,000k is too blue.. I have already ordered 6000k bulbs to change them out.. My bike has 8000k in it. And they still give off plenty of light. So i took a gamble and went with 10,000k in my car. Knew it was going to have to change as soon as i tested them. But i went with 6000k in the brights just for that reason.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My first set was 6000k and they were pretty blue. I switched to 5000k, which I'm still running, and they make my high beams useless because of the brightness. Next I'm going to try 4300k since they are supposed to have the most useable light. 10000k would be purplish which, like others said, might be why you need hid's in your highs. Also if you readjust your fogs a little higher, they become functional.

This thread is a clusterfuck of idiotic lighting setups and suggestions.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Sounds good.

Did you sell your LGT? Are you still doing retrofits?

Im running 10,000k in the lows.

Since we know the IQ of the OP now, we can go back about our business...

10,000K in the low beams :lol: ... ricers.

10,000K in the low beams :lol: ... ricers.

The front of that car looks like a freakin rainbow!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Yeah... I know the 10,000k is too blue.. I have already ordered 6000k bulbs to change them out.. My bike has 8000k in it. And they still give off plenty of light. So i took a gamble and went with 10,000k in my car. Knew it was going to have to change as soon as i tested them. But i went with 6000k in the brights just for that reason.

Just be aware that it's the color temperature, and the actual intensity is a different issue. Often you get more light from the lower color temperature lamps.

And too blue light is also making it harder on the eyes and you will get tired faster as well as annoy the oncoming traffic.

453747.png

Like i said... I had never done 10,000k. Took a gamble. And i know it it was a poor choice. Its already been fixed. It was definatly the wrong way to go.

Im sure no one here has ever made a mistake though... This whole legacygt comunity is not very welcoming to new members... And BAC is, by far, the worst troll on here. There is too much ego in this thread for any useful help. Maturity level is pretty low, guys. Not impressed with the quality of the members here.

Like i said... I had never done 10,000k. Took a gamble. And i know it it was a poor choice. Its already been fixed. It was definatly the wrong way to go.

Im sure no one here has ever made a mistake though... This whole legacygt comunity is not very welcoming to new members... And BAC is, by far, the worst troll on here. There is too much ego in this thread for any useful help. Maturity level is pretty low, guys. Not impressed with the quality of the members here.

This forum is actually pretty nice to n00bs. Just not to n00bs that don't listen, or do research. There's plenty of information on color temperature of HIDs on the interwebs. And also plenty on HID retrofits, and why you don't use HIDs in halogen reflectors.

BAC is definitely one of the smarter members. If you hang around here and do more reading you'll learn that quickly.

10,000K is what Civic owners and people who put HIDs in reflectors use, that's why you're being laughed at. :lol:

I am definitely not the worst troll, but I try.

Sorry I'm not going to stroke your hair and whisper sweet nothing's into your ear. Your lighting setup is born of ignorance and I'm not going to candy coat it for you.

Your lighting setup sucks from a technical standpoint. If that offends you, then I suggest you put on your big girl panties and quit being such a Sally.

This forum is actually pretty nice to n00bs. Just not to n00bs that don't listen, or do research. There's plenty of information on color temperature of HIDs on the interwebs. And also plenty on HID retrofits, and why you don't use HIDs in halogen reflectors.

BAC is definitely one of the smarter members. If you hang around here and do more reading you'll learn that quickly.

10,000K is what Civic owners and people who put HIDs in reflectors use, that's why you're being laughed at. :lol:

Yeah. I do listen. If you had read. I already changed the 10,000k. And if you had read my reasoning for the hid high beam. Or driven around my neck of the woods for very long. Youd understand.

But whatevs. BAC may be smart but the way he represents himself is very poor. And takes away his credibility. And you are no better.

I am definitely not the worst troll, but I try.

Sorry I'm not going to stroke your hair and whisper sweet nothing's into your ear. Your lighting setup is born of ignorance and I'm not going to candy coat it for you.

Your lighting setup sucks from a technical standpoint. If that offends you, then I suggest you put on your big girl panties and quit being such a Sally.

I agree. Ignorance. And im sure you were once ignorant yourself. At least i admit my mistakes and learn from them. You, however, flaunt your "wisdom" and and make a mockery of someone whos is honestly looking for help. I get that you dont care. But seriously dude. Stop stroking yourself...

Legacygt is actually one of the better, more mature car forums I've found. Hang around these boards long enough, don't ask stupid questions, and you will earn the respect of the Elders of the Internet. (Yes, I was a n00b once too, and I've taken my fair share of ridicule)

If you want immaturity, go to Nastycock and ask the same question about your lighting setup.

I agree. Ignorance. And im sure you were once ignorant yourself. At least i admit my mistakes and learn from them. You, however, flaunt your "wisdom" and and make a mockery of someone whos is honestly looking for help. I get that you dont care. But seriously dude. Stop stroking yourself...

I was. And then I got smart. And I did that by listening to the advice of those smarter than I was.

I offered you help. I've described, in brutal depth, the faults of HID's in high beams and fog lights elsewhere on this board. If you cared to search, you'd see that.

You chose to disregard my advice, so why should I care to try and convince you? You aren't interested in learning, or making good decisions, so you are just digging your own grave.

Again... I changed the low beams... (listened and learned)

And you have not explained why hid highs are bad if no one else will see them. They are just for driving in the woods.. Explain how they are unsafe for the driver.. You havnt explained that. You have only made the statement.

The

High beam

reflectors

don't

work

with

HIDs.

/thread.

Get a retrofit for your low beams, with TSX projectors, or the bi-Xenons that someone linked too. IMHO just walk away from the thread now rather than calling people immature when you're the one not listening to what experienced members are telling you. You need a thicker skin, it's the internet.

Legacygt is actually one of the better, more mature car forums I've found. Hang around these boards long enough, don't ask stupid questions, and you will earn the respect of the Elders of the Internet. (Yes, I was a n00b once too, and I've taken my fair share of ridicule)

If you want immaturity, go to Nastycock and ask the same question about your lighting setup.

I dont see how asking about why my indicator light stays on is a stupid question... And i researched before i asked. Thats the only question i have asked. Dont think it deserved the response i got about a different matter.

Ive been a noob on other sites. Never got this kind of treatment. I just find it funny how i can be highly respected at one place. And get slammed so quickly at another... Im not savy with wiring and electronics. So i asked an honest question about it.

I dont see how asking about why my indicator light stays on is a stupid question... And i researched before i asked. Thats the only question i have asked. Dont think it deserved the response i got about a different matter.

Ive been a noob on other sites. Never got this kind of treatment. I just find it funny how i can be highly respected at one place. And get slammed so quickly at another... Im not savy with wiring and electronics. So i asked an honest question about it.

Survey says, don't put HIDs in your high beams and you won't run into these problems.

/thread.

Glare isn't only relevant to other drivers. It's relevant to the operator of the vehicle as well.

Look at a Halogen bulb. The filament is straight, and short. Look at a 9005 base HID bulb. The bulb is MUCH longer, and the emission profile is arc'd.

It is fundamentally impossible to design a reflector around both sources, right? I mean, optics are fairly concrete science. Optimize something for one light source, and it will behave very poorly for another source. It is essentially the same principle for glasses, one prescription will not cover all ranges of vision. They are ground specifically for a single type of correction.

Right off the bat, you are at a disadvantage running an HID bulb in a halogen reflector. Light will NEVER end up where it is intended to go. Period. This is inarguable.

HID bulbs are MUCH brighter than Halogens, there is no question here. But stuffing an HID bulb into a halogen reflector means you get MUCH more light exactly where light is not intended to go. This equates to an increase in scatter (light shines off to the edges), and improper direction of light. 9/10 times, HID's in reflector housings dump a TON of light directly in front of the car (exactly where such bright light should never be. This is part of the reason HID's in fog lights are such a stupid idea).

So now we have a reflector designed for a different source than you are using (ensuring you'll never get light where it is supposed to go), and a bulb that is putting an enormous amount of light where it isn't supposed to go. Two strikes.

You lose flash-to-pass, which is 1/3 of the ability you have as a driver to signal other drivers, illegal or not as it may be. You can honk, gesture, and flash lights. HID's in the high beams get rid of one of those. Three strikes.

High beams aren't used in low visibility (fog, rain, snow, etc), but if they were you've ruined the geometry of your reflectors to the point that scatter would destroy what visibility they might provide. You'd blind yourself in the process, and think "wow, these are so bright" while doing it.

Your use of 10k, and even 6k, shows your lack of understanding. The shorter the wavelength, the greater the tendency to scatter. That decreases intensity, and makes the lights appear dim when uninhibited, and "too bright" when fog or other obstructions appear. That "too bright" is glare off of water molecules in the air (this is the glare that hurts you as a driver, not just oncoming).

HID's COULD make wonderful high beams, but definitely not the way you have them implemented. To do it right, you'd HAVE to have a dual-range optic, and the ability to move the bulb itself from one optic set to the other. Retrofit Source did a fairly good job of this in their Bi-Xenon setup. By shifting the source, you can shift the output profile from a scattered low beam (wide coverage a relatively short distance from the car) to a pencil high beam (a narrowly focused, long range pattern that puts very little light directly in front of the car).

And "aiming the fog lights up to make them useful" is also horrendously stupid. Fog lights are for fog. They lack both the optics and the position to be usable as driving lights. Putting HID's in them make them even worse.

Like I said, your lighting setup sucks.

Glare isn't only relevant to other drivers. It's relevant to the operator of the vehicle as well.

Look at a Halogen bulb. The filament is straight, and short. Look at a 9005 base HID bulb. The bulb is MUCH longer, and the emission profile is arc'd.

It is fundamentally impossible to design a reflector around both sources, right? I mean, optics are fairly concrete science. Optimize something for one light source, and it will behave very poorly for another source. It is essentially the same principle for glasses, one prescription will not cover all ranges of vision. They are ground specifically for a single type of correction.

Right off the bat, you are at a disadvantage running an HID bulb in a halogen reflector. Light will NEVER end up where it is intended to go. Period. This is inarguable.

HID bulbs are MUCH brighter than Halogens, there is no question here. But stuffing an HID bulb into a halogen reflector means you get MUCH more light exactly where light is not intended to go. This equates to an increase in scatter (light shines off to the edges), and improper direction of light. 9/10 times, HID's in reflector housings dump a TON of light directly in front of the car (exactly where such bright light should never be. This is part of the reason HID's in fog lights are such a stupid idea).

So now we have a reflector designed for a different source than you are using (ensuring you'll never get light where it is supposed to go), and a bulb that is putting an enormous amount of light where it isn't supposed to go. Two strikes.

You lose flash-to-pass, which is 1/3 of the ability you have as a driver to signal other drivers, illegal or not as it may be. You can honk, gesture, and flash lights. HID's in the high beams get rid of one of those. Three strikes.

High beams aren't used in low visibility (fog, rain, snow, etc), but if they were you've ruined the geometry of your reflectors to the point that scatter would destroy what visibility they might provide. You'd blind yourself in the process, and think "wow, these are so bright" while doing it.

Your use of 10k, and even 6k, shows your lack of understanding. The shorter the wavelength, the greater the tendency to scatter. That decreases intensity, and makes the lights appear dim when uninhibited, and "too bright" when fog or other obstructions appear. That "too bright" is glare off of water molecules in the air (this is the glare that hurts you as a driver, not just oncoming).

HID's COULD make wonderful high beams, but definitely not the way you have them implemented. To do it right, you'd HAVE to have a dual-range optic, and the ability to move the bulb itself from one optic set to the other. Retrofit Source did a fairly good job of this in their Bi-Xenon setup. By shifting the source, you can shift the output profile from a scattered low beam (wide coverage a relatively short distance from the car) to a pencil high beam (a narrowly focused, long range pattern that puts very little light directly in front of the car).

And "aiming the fog lights up to make them useful" is also horrendously stupid. Fog lights are for fog. They lack both the optics and the position to be usable as driving lights. Putting HID's in them make them even worse.

Like I said, your lighting setup sucks.

duely noted... Thank you for explaining..

You know what's rude? Self righteous passing lane hoggers who let no one pass them because they are traveling at the speed limit.

:whore:

Right along with telling everybody at a busy 4 way stop intersection to go first rather than going in the circular order that the law dictates

Don't forget people who get on the highway at extremely below the speed

People who make complete stops at yield signs when there is no traffic

people who are too busy taking pictures of their genitals on their smart phones to procede with forward motion in timely fashion when the stop light with 40 cars lined up turns green

And I always use them to let people know about police speed traps ahead...

It's not about other drivers. The output of a HID bulb in a halogen designed reflector housing is shit. Lots of glare and lots of scatter make it a worse performing light.

Why leave lighting performance on the table?

It would be like running a very dirty air filter. It still works, of course, but you are leaving performance on the table to save a few minutes and a few dollars.

I tested my old Forester. There was a 2V drop through the factory headlight wiring. I made my own harness for $18 and less than 30 minutes of work.

/endthread

Archived