LegacyGT.com

Ask me a question part II

BDII

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I have two more serious questions which has probably been asked a billion times, but the search terms are too common to get applicable results so I'm asking it here. First, some background.

I had the Nashua dealership install my roof and bike rack a couple weeks after I picked up my car (they owed it). I took it off a couple weeks ago and they didn't center one of the pillars on top of the plastic film they applied (and said film looks like absolute crap), so it took off a small area of paint just above my front driver-side door.

1) Where do most people find their touch up paint? A particular store/website? The dealership?

2) Would a product like Xpel protection film be durable enough to protect the car from damage when re-installing the roof rack? I was thinking of having strips of it put up on the sides of the roof extending from the top of the windshield to the top of the rear window to replace the plastic film the dealer installed which, as mentioned, were horribly installed and look awful.

If I have the dealership fix it, they'll take the car for two days (they send - drive - cars to some auto body shop in town) and won't significantly change the film they applied to protect the car from the roof rack pillars. That's assuming they don't attempt to say it's my fault the car was damaged when I removed the roof racks.

The paint damage is very minor. The spot in question is located on the nearest edge of the water channel on the roof and can't be more than a 1/8th inch diameter circle. I'm more interested in seeing if Xpel would be durable enough to protect the paint from the roof racks while being unnoticeable if the roof racks are removed. Instead of small, 4-6 inch pieces of film, I'd have one-piece strips applied from front to back on both sides.

Maybe I should snap some cell phone pictures of what's on there now. The film is quite small and full of air pockets.

Archived