LegacyGT.com

Largest tires on stock wheels/suspension.

So I've searched and searched, and still haven't found a definitive solution to what the largest tires you can put on a stock suspension.

I just picked up some stock 05/06 LGT wheels (17x7, +55 offset), and want to put something... BIGGER than stock on them. I'm leaning towards a 215/50 or 215/55, but would go with 225/45 if I HAD to. I know 215/45 is stock size, and I'm not worried about the speedo being off or any of that stuff (I ran 215/60/16 on my Impreza, stock size is 205/55/16).

I have 17x7.5 +48 Rota wheels on the car currently with 225/45/17's, and I'd say there's only about a finger's width between the strut housing and the inside edge of the wheel. So, with the 8mm increase in offset, I'm thinking even a 225/45 is out of the question for the stock LGT wheels. Has anyone tried 215/55 on stock (+55 offset) wheels?

To answer the question, I want to get all seasons for snow use, and occasional Rally-X, and the LGT won't take wheels smaller than 17".

Okay. I guess my question revolves around STOCK wheels/suspension.

235/45/17 won't fit on my STOCK 17" rims (17x7)..and you need at LEAST a 7.5" wide wheel, and I'm not sure if 225/45 will with the stock +55 offset. Guessing that 215/50 just won't fit....

Don't THINK they rub? Wow, I'm surprised that not only did you get the wheels on there, but that the shop mounted them (huge liability, my local shops won't install anything other than factory, or a factory "upsize" unless you bring in bare rims/tires). Lol.

Only found 1 245/45/17 Blizzak (WS70), and it says a 7.5"-9" rim width. 7" seems WAYYY too narrow.

I am currently running 225/45/17 with stock suspension, the strut shields are close on the fronts, but I've had no problems (except that I don't know how they have affected my MPG because of winter gas).

I decided to get slightly larger tires because i've blown 3 215s in the past 15 months. Sometimes I wonder where our taxes go, not to the DOT apparently...

P.S. 205/50/17 is Stock on n/a Legacies, it's taller.

Don't THINK they rub? Wow, I'm surprised that not only did you get the wheels on there, but that the shop mounted them (huge liability, my local shops won't install anything other than factory, or a factory "upsize" unless you bring in bare rims/tires). Lol.

visit a used tire store...they'll mount anything, including 235/45/17 on a 17x7 wheel.

I'm running 215/50/17s.

I checked out sizes at miata.net. The radius of the 215/45 is 12.3". The 215/50 is 12.7" and the 215/55 is 13.2".

I looked at it and scratched my head a while and decided that I'd be comfortable with 50s but not 55s. They fit just fine and while I didn't stick a ruler in there, at full lock I don't think I could have fit another half inch of rubber. Everything else is stock.

Only found 1 245/45/17 Blizzak (WS70), and it says a 7.5"-9" rim width. 7" seems WAYYY too narrow.

They were on the car when I got it! I have no idea who mounted them, but they sure are beefy :lol:. Also it holds pretty tight on dry pavement with those soft winter tires, hard to break 'em loose! And yeah I can barely fit my hand between the spring and the tire haha

I just put a set of 225/45s on my stock wheels stock suspension. With no rubbing or clearance issues. But something most people tend not to realize is that tire actual sizes will vary slightly from brand to brand. Depending on the tread and the way they are measured. I have 225/45 falcons on my car now. But have a set of 245 fuzions at work that are the exact same width when laid flat unmounted on the ground. So one 225 may fit one 245 may fit and one may not.

My advice is stick with a 225 series if ordering them off line. You should have no issues. If purchasing from a tire shop. If they don't fit then they are easy to return. Just make sure they only mount 1 tire before checking fitment.

Ps screw auto correct on iPhones. Holy hell.

Archived