LegacyGT.com

Wagon exhaust-to-bumper clearance

I've owned the car for less than a week and it's already thrown a code P0420. I hadn't planned on going Stage 2 for a while, but this is as good an opportunity as any to do it, so...

I am considering the Invidia full TBE with Q300 cat-back. I have been told that the mufflers will fit a wagon with "some modification" to the rear bumper. If I get this exhaust, what sort of a mess am I creating for myself? I'd like to find out before I invest >$1k on something that may not work (or at the very least create more headache than I am willing to accept).

Kyle

• Moderators

I would be asking why your car is throwing the code. If you've only had it for a week it could be due to the fact that the code was suppressed for the sale and now it has popped back up. If everything on your car is stock, I find it really unlikely that the catalytic convertor has gone bad—it’s possible, but again unlikely. I would check both your O2 sensors (upstream / downstream) and also check for exhaust leaks. You should also make sure that your car IS, in fact, stock. If you don’t know what you’re looking for get someone in your area to help out.

My guess is that something in the exhaust system is not stock or that the car was put back to stock before the sale and there is the potential for leaks, etc. if the uninstall / back to stock work wasn’t done properly. But then I know virtually nothing about your car--fill us in with more details if you have them.

Generally a CEL / code is not a good excuse for upgrades.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

The car has 95k on it. Supposedly one owner.

I added Cobb Stage 1 software, but otherwise it has all factory parts. The exhaust was removed to replace something while it was at the (used vehicle) dealer and definitely was leaking when I initially looked at it; I could feel the exhaust pulses coming from the flange between the two downpipe cats. The dealer had it tightened up prior to me taking delivery, but if I'm perfectly honest I think it still isn't sealing well. I too was considering the possibility that an air leak into the exhaust stream could be the culprit.

A little background about me... I was a journeyman mechanic for the better part of a decade (eight years and change, if my mental math is correct). I didn't do much work on Subarus, but I have seen a fair number of catalytic converters fail. To me, a failed cat is a very likely possibility, though I admit I may be making a generalization rather than looking at it on a model-by-model basis.

There are other reasons, but the big one that makes me lean towards the full Stage 2 with TBE is the single-piece downpipe that would eliminate the leaking joint. As a corollary, the Cobb S2 software has the added benefit of disabling the P0420 code altogether. In other words, the code is not the impetus for upgrade, but the failed component itself.

Kyle

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak for the Wagon.. but I was having issues with the SPTv2... one of the cans was rubbing the bumper, and I also have the TRF diffuser.. rather than doing it the right way by taking it to a shop to reweld the hangers, I jammed 1 OB hanger on to angle the can so the tip would hang further from the bumper, and it worked.. but it's a temp fix...

I would test fit it, and make any notes for adjustment, and if the hangers need to be adjusted, take it to a muffler shop.

Archived