LegacyGT.com

Will stock O2 sensor read down to 11 AFR if moved after turbo? Any negatives?

caramall2

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The answer is in this thread ;)

Two of us said it.

Meaning that the Prosport gauge won't work? Or run it off the 0-5v wire from the tgv? Sorry, i didn't quite get it LOL :redface:

Not that it matters, (maybe I should make a seperate thread) but I just got off the phone with Prosport about returning the sensor for lack of ability to datalog, and one of their representatives (a supervisor) instructed me that they are working making their WBo2 compatible with Romraider.

Run the Prosport Halo wideband 0-5v output to a TGV sensor input, and then log TGV sensor voltage. You will need to do the conversion formula in Excel or wherever, or keep a handy list of what voltage = what AFR. A small hassle, but makes logging a ton easier. I have aspirations of one day hooking up a EGT sensor 0-5v output to a TGV sensor so I can log EGT for tuning purposes. You can log anything with a 0-5V output, times two since there are two TGV sensors.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Run the Prosport Halo wideband 0-5v output to a TGV sensor input, and then log TGV sensor voltage. You will need to do the conversion formula in Excel or wherever, or keep a handy list of what voltage = what AFR. A small hassle, but makes logging a ton easier. I have aspirations of one day hooking up a EGT sensor 0-5v output to a TGV sensor so I can log EGT for tuning purposes. You can log anything with a 0-5V output, times two since there are two TGV sensors.

Wow, ummmm, yeah, thats a GREAT idea. The challenge, however, is determining the conversion and then inserting that into excel. I'm assuming that all i'd have to do is start the car at idle preferebly after its warmed up, and observe the read out on the WBo2 gauge and the AP TGV voltage and make a conversion chart from there....then send it off to Infamous. LOL...that sounds WAY too easy.

Wow, ummmm, yeah, thats a GREAT idea. The challenge, however, is determining the conversion and then inserting that into excel. I'm assuming that all i'd have to do is start the car at idle preferebly after its warmed up, and observe the read out on the WBo2 gauge and the AP TGV voltage and make a conversion chart from there....then send it off to Infamous. LOL...that sounds WAY too easy.

No, just email your wideband supplier. AEM and I think PLX post the conversion in their manuals. ProSport should do the same, or have it handy if not. Otherwise defeats the purpose of the output. I keep the AEM conversion formula on a sticky note on my computer. In Excel, I add a column next to TGV1. Add the formula, referencing the adjacent voltage cell, and drag down to copy it to every cell. If you know how to use Excel, then ignore my instructions :lol:

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I have a very-slightly less hacky way to do that sort of thing.... After doing that once, delete the contents of all of the cells with the raw log data, and save the spreadsheet someplace safe. Consider making it read-only as well.

The next time you want to view log data, open the log, open that saved spreadsheet, and copy-paste the log into the saved spreadsheet. I have a spreadsheet like this with a whole bunch of computed columns, scatter plots, etc. Just be sure you don't accidentally save over the top of your emptied spreadsheet. Or, get into the habit of re-opening your previous spreadsheet and pasting new raw CSV data into it.

Some day I'd like to learn how to put an "Open CSV File" button on my spreadsheet, so I could skip a couple steps. But VBA is hard. :(

I wonder if one of the adepts could munge that conversion formula into a custom RR definition. It should be possible as others have added things like a calculated VE parameter.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I wonder if one of the adepts could munge that conversion formula into a custom RR definition. It should be possible as others have added things like a calculated VE parameter.

What people have done is a quick change to the RR logger code with your wideband's mx+b conversion factor so it does the conversion automatically and outputs the AFR value into the log, just like how it converts every other output to units we understand. There is a thread showing how to do it.

Right. Just need to learn how to code it or convince someone to do it for you. I was following the threads about using the TGV inputs for logging other things and will sooner or later delete the TGVs just for this purpose. On a 16G I don't think it's a performance advantage but for convenient logging this is awesome.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Right. Just need to learn how to code it or convince someone to do it for you. I was following the threads about using the TGV inputs for logging other things and will sooner or later delete the TGVs just for this purpose. On a 16G I don't think it's a performance advantage but for convenient logging this is awesome.

There's a thread somewhere about it, I suspect on RomRaider. Literally shows what changes to copy/paste to the code. Very easy.

There's a thread somewhere about it, I suspect on RomRaider. Literally shows what changes to copy/paste to the code. Very easy.

Yes, it's an interesting thread. One overlooked gem is there is Dale's comment that an analog WBO2 output can be logged through a pin on the OBD-II port, which sounds even easier than routing it through the TGV sensor.

Ok, so I'm trying to figure out the easyiest way to do this considering I have an accessport. I'm assuming that if i tap the tgv wire (either bank 1 or 2) i'll be able to log that particular signal. Next, I'll need a conversion formula right? How do I determine that formula? I'm assuming that I would just monitor the voltage at idle and the afr at idle and use that as my base right? While math used to be a strong point for me, its been years and i just wanna double check. Thanks!

Without calling them, their website says 10:1 to 20:1. So assuming 10:1 is 0V and 20:1 is 5V, then the formula is AFR = (2)*(TGV Voltage)+(10). If you need an excel formula, and we assume that TGV 1 data is in Column A starting in Row 2, then it is "=2*a2+10". You really need to call them to find out what the corresponding values are though.

Without calling them, their website says 10:1 to 20:1. So assuming 10:1 is 0V and 20:1 is 5V, then the formula is AFR = (2)*(TGV Voltage)+(10). If you need an excel formula, and we assume that TGV 1 data is in Column A starting in Row 2, then it is "=2*a2+10". You really need to call them to find out what the corresponding values are though.

Yeah that's not how it works, it's something specific, and he needs to ask like you said.

Example: For AEM UEGO...

The analog output from the AEM Analog Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio gauge is a linear dc

voltage signal that varies from 0.5 Vdc at 8.5:1 AFR to 4.5Vdc at 18.0:1 AFR over the

operating range of the gauge.

AFR = 2.375(V) + 7.3125

For example, if the output is 2.0 Vdc, the AFR is 12.06:1

2.375 * 2.0 + 7.3125 = 12.06

Yeah that's not how it works, it's something specific, and he needs to ask like you said.

Example: For AEM UEGO...

I understand that I can ask, but wouldn't it be better just take a multimeter and measure the voltage at idle? That way with the sensor plugged in, I can check the AFR at idle according to both the AccessPort and the gauge (once the gauge is calibrated).

That way, I would have a more exact measurement instead of what the manufacturers specifications are supposed to be. Does that make sense? Or am I off track with my thought process?

So...in summary:

- The O2 sensor can probably be moved to the DP without hurting the system (there could possibly be some delay of signal for CL, but probably not an issue)

- The O2 sensor could read fine down to 11.2 if in DP, but most likely not below that.

- You cannot just swap out the stock sensor with a WB sensor as the voltages, impedences, etc., are different. (Anyone ever do this?)

You have our input, it's your call.

Look, I appreciate your input, but clearly, you're not the only authority on this. I merely asked if my thought process was on the right track (which you continue to fail to specifically address)...therefore I don't actually have your "input" in fact.

However, thank you for your response.

No, you continuously fail to read and internalize the things we've taken time to write for you in this thread. Stop over analyzing and take 2 minutes to contact ProSport. That's my input. If you don't like it, ignore it.

No, you continuously fail to read and internalize the things we've taken time to write for you in this thread. Stop over analyzing and take 2 minutes to contact ProSport. That's my input. If you don't like it, ignore it.

Just so you know, i'm not trying to either a) be rude or b) not read. I'm appreciative of what you AS WELL AS others have said. However, some of the things are not totally clear, hence the purpose of having a forum to ask questions.

Furthermore, I believe that you, in fact, are the one who hasn't read everything in its entirety. I did contact Prosport a NUMBER of times (if you read what iv'e posted you'll see that) and they were unaware of being abale to datalog as you have so graciously pointed out to me (not being sarcastic). Prosport (as i stated earlier) is in the process of creating a "plug-n-play" solution for RomRaider (which I also stated).

Finally i'm not over analyzing because my last question was about creating a formula in excel....since I didn't quite get what formula to enter I asked. So please, before you make your comments, fully understand what I've written. I TRULY appreciate your input, but don't be so quick to assign fault. Thank you.

Shame on prosport.

Yup, once the car is all warmed up, you just log OEM AFR in the DP, and wideband O2 voltage next to it. You can use the excel graphing tool to figure out the linear y=mx+b formula. Should be pretty straight forward and easy. Sorry for the grief.

Archived