LegacyGT.com

Increase powersteering hydraulic assist

I was preliminarily diagnosed with MS after symptoms and an MRI of the brain showing a lesion. I love to drive, and I want to continue as long as my body permits. Can the Legacy GT's power steering pump have a shim put in to increase hydraulic assist pressure without blowing all of the seals out? This is new to me, but I did read an article about doing this to a Chevy, and my older brother suggested this may be an option. Not that the steering is overly difficult now, but I have significant numbness in my magic shift foot :lol: and left hand :spin:.

On the positive side if I missed it in the search funtion, I will be getting electrocuted again for a nerve conduction study :lol:.

Thx,

Nick

sorry to hear about your health problems. although i dont have a solution to your problem, i would suggest flushing your power steering fluid, and replace it with some good slippery synthetic atf (the entire system takes less than a liter of dex 3 atf). i did that with mine and i felt a easyer and smoother steering wheel right after.

I think most current subies have a small negative scrub radius (distance between center of the tire contact patch and rotational axis of the wheel). If you make it closer to zero (say by going for wheels with lower offset, pushing tires outside) you'll effectively make steering easier. As a trade-off I think you'll lose some stability under braking.

Also, by going to narrower tires you'll make steering easier.

I appreciate all of the suggestions. Taking 90 degree corners at double the speed limit is what makes the Subie fun :lol:. I will definately keep everyone suggestions as an option if it progresses.

I try not to gun it to often with gas hitting between 4.30 and 4.60 here, but it really does sound like Gran Turismo above 4500 :spin:

Thank you for all the suggestions.

• Moderators

This may just sound ridiculous, but also might want to look into mounting a trucker's knob on your steering wheel if you think that might help? Not sure exactly how your movement is affected or if that would actually help.

There's a bunch on amazon and they all seem cheap, maybe worth a shot:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Type-AC50092-60-Steering-Wheel-Spinner/dp/B001PRX7WK/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1334882455&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Type S AC50092-60/6 Steering Wheel Spinner Knob: Automotive[/ame]

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Not ridiculous at all. I appreciate the suggestion. It wouldn't be comfortable driving long distances right now, but I am still able to safely drive.

This is all a new experience to me. I am in IT and depend heavily on being able to see and type, and crawl around under desk (no smartass comments :p). Just figuring out how to adapt in advance if things progress. Thank you for all the kind suggestions.

May boost be with you :p

The trucker's knob thing may help. My grandfather lost an arm to either cancer, a great white shark, or horde of nazi's in u-boats, and used a knob on a steering wheel for decades to get around that.

Narrower/less grip tires will help as well, as already mentioned. A bit more difficult to source is a bigger steering wheel. Basic gearing at play here, the larger the steering wheel, the less effort to turn it.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

http://www.facebook.com/avoturboworld

Archived