LegacyGT.com

Carrera vs. LGT AP stage 1

Saw one on the freeway and didn't expect him to want to play.... not to stereotype, but every time I see an expensive car like a porsche they are old guys who seem like they don't even know that they drive fast cars...

Anyway, I get on the freeway and he does too, he was calm at first and I got ahead, then traffic cleared up and I saw him coming up to pass me on the right. I slowed to about sixty to wait up and when he got next to me I was right in the fat of 3rd gear and went for it. He started at the exact same time as me, we went from about 60 to 105ish and at the end my front bumper was right next to his rear bumper. Actually he had to move over because of a truck in front of him and I had to slow down slightly for him to get over.

I thought it would be more of a killing so I was very happy with how close it actually was with such a nice car. Going stage 2 next week and I'll be looking for him again!

Weston

^^^ Load your brain before you shoot your mouth.

Again, the base model Carrera is 325/273 hp/ftlbs, with the times I stated before.

take your own advice, and don't go shooting off your mouth over something that has a LOT of answers without more specifics. Nobody mentioned a year for the carerra. 1974 they only had 175hp. 1982 202hp, 1990 carerra 2 was 247hp, 1994 270, 1996 2wd has 282hp, AWD has 400 (mmmm love that particular car, a frikin classic), 1998 300, now 325.

Well, like I said there was a truck in his lane and he was trying to get in front of me, and had to cut over hard at the last second, forcing me to break so he wouldn't run into me or the truck. For some reason I think he would't risk his $80,000 car to "take it easy," and trust me, he came too close for comfort to that truck and if I hadn't breaked he would have hit me.

I guess he could have been going easy at first, but he was definitely hard on it at the end and I think he was going for it the whole time because he didn't pull any harder in the end when I know he was on it than in the beginning...

It was a late model, but I don't know the year exactly.

ps...according to porche.com it's 325/273 but 0-60 is 4.8 (the 911 turbo is 4.2, maybe you were mistaking the 0-60 times), which is faster than lgt, but not a ton faster especially with stage 1.

Weston

Well duh, the older models are gonna be less powerful, but as warnoldscu stated it was a late model.(Lucky me, my assumption was correct :), if I get it wrong next time then you can rape me)

I got the 0-60 times from autos.msn.com, which might be too optimistic or they have a better driver than Porsche!!!. :lol:

I keed I keeed

I'm not entirely suprised. I've driven by friend's 2002 Carrera 2, and while it is a beautiful ride, it doesn't feel much if any faster than my reflashed LGT. Really, the numbers are pretty close and people always see to overestimate how much difference 20 or so hp makes. To really "walk" someone, you need about 30-50% more power.

I'm not entirely suprised. I've driven by friend's 2002 Carrera 2, and while it is a beautiful ride, it doesn't feel much if any faster than my reflashed LGT. Really, the numbers are pretty close and people always see to overestimate how much difference 20 or so hp makes. To really "walk" someone, you need about 30-50% more power.

Yeah stock the current Carrerra's are low 5 second to 60 cars, so it makes sense that with a reflash the race would be close.

LOL, you guys are funny.

Even if it was a 1995 Carrera...(270 hp) they trap at

around 102 mph. It would require a Stage 2 to run with him.

You either ran an older Carrera than you thought, or

He didn't down shift, or

It was a few years older and a tiptronic, or

he didn't push it too hard.

And Porsche uses 0-100 kph (62.1 mph) in their estimates.

Everybody seems to think out cars have shitty top end... not so. Contrary to popular beleif you don't loose magicly loose a zillion horsepower as you go faster just because you have AWD.

I think it's a carry-over from the reputation the WRX has. i.e. a crap top end.

Dave.

you guys are funny ... liking your cars is one thing, but comparing one to a porsche (non boxter, of course) is just funny.

"oh oh, hey i was driving next to this mclaren on the street and i saw it was on, and so i gunned it and kept up with him up to 136!"

1999 Porsche 911 Carrera 4.9 13.4

1996 Porsche 911 Targa 5.0 13.5

1995 Porsche 911 Carrera 5.3 13.8

More importantly, the 911 is going to be moving a good 3-4 mph faster at the 1/4 mile mark than a LGT will be with similar traps. So a highway roll, say from 60, will hurt the LGT more than the Porsche. In a 1/4 race, sure, a Stage II should be right there.

"oh oh, hey i was driving next to this mclaren on the street and i saw it was on, and so i gunned it and kept up with him up to 136!"

hehe, yeah there are a lot of cars out there that will whup up ona LGT stock. But it sure is amusing when the guy in the maserati next you you can't walk you at will and has a caniption fit because his $100k car isn't the all-powerful raod-penis he imagined. At least that's how Wednesday's morning commute went. I wasn't winning, but I was losing pretty damn slowly and that seemed to anger the guy driving it greatly. (it was the quattrawhosiewhatsit model, so not as zippy as their sportier models despite the load of HP.)

As for late-model porsche, well being able to discern the differences between current editions and something 10 years old for a model as conservatively altered as the 911 is a trick. Much less being able to tell which version si the sedate entry level vs. the smoking firebreathing beast trim level or something in between or the many tuner packages etc.

hehe, yeah there are a lot of cars out there that will whup up ona LGT stock. But it sure is amusing when the guy in the maserati next you you can't walk you at will and has a caniption fit because his $100k car isn't the all-powerful raod-penis he imagined. At least that's how Wednesday's morning commute went. I wasn't winning, but I was losing pretty damn slowly and that seemed to anger the guy driving it greatly. (it was the quattrawhosiewhatsit model, so not as zippy as their sportier models despite the load of HP.)

Yeah I followed a chipped M3 convertible (current gen), on an on ramp andon to the highway. I kept equal distance with him up to 140km/h. He wasnt gunning it but he still accelerated fairly quickly (I was flat out :)) I know very well that if he had stomped on it I would have been toast but im certain he thought that the half throttle or whatever he was using would have put some distance on me and it didnt :). Later he drove by me slow to see what I had....

Back to topic, porsches, M3s, etc, etc all deserve respect and most will stomp us hard unless stage II+ but I think the LGTs power surprises a lot of people.

TO me these kinda highway races is just kinda non-sense....no offence to anyone....

you don't know what the guy has in the car, don't what type of transmission, type of mods, type of person who's driving the car, or or simply what gear he's holding the car at......for this situation, he might realize that there's this car that looks like an TSX that goes quite fast, or he might be thinking that ha, Subaru Legacy is not as fast as he thinks......just too many variables.....and his look can't tell anything either.....sometimes i'm happy but people think i'm mad...:p

The only way to really tell is on the track.....i know that the reasons i can hang with a 911 on the track is that 1. i'm a better driver and 2. the guy is just too afraid to damage his car so much that he's afraid to push it.....:cool:

anyway...i rarely race with anyone unless we had friendly eye contact and the comfirmation that we are play just for fun....and always a thumb up for the other driver afterward.....no matter what the result is......just don't want people to think that ...oh....Legacy drivers are just bunch of snobs that think they have the fastest car in the world....

Just my 0.02...

no matter what the result is......just don't want people to think that ...oh....Legacy drivers are just bunch of snobs that think they have the fastest car in the world....

Like the WRX drivers ;):lol:

Well I'm sorry you think it's nonsense, but I was just posting what happened. Maybe you're right and the Carrera wasn't trying or whatever, but the guy pulled up next to me and started accelerating quickly up to about 100 or 110, and maybe i'm not him, but I've never pulled up next to someone and "sort of" gone for it up to 110 miles per hour on the freeway. Anyway, maybe his car was completely broken and he had all kinds of problems, like I said I was just saying what happened, no need to get your panties all up in a bunch over it.

TO me these kinda highway races is just kinda non-sense....no offence to anyone....

you don't know what the guy has in the car, don't what type of transmission, type of mods, type of person who's driving the car, or or simply what gear he's holding the car at......for this situation, he might realize that there's this car that looks like an TSX that goes quite fast, or he might be thinking that ha, Subaru Legacy is not as fast as he thinks......just too many variables.....and his look can't tell anything either.....sometimes i'm happy but people think i'm mad...:p

The only way to really tell is on the track.....i know that the reasons i can hang with a 911 on the track is that 1. i'm a better driver and 2. the guy is just too afraid to damage his car so much that he's afraid to push it.....:cool:

anyway...i rarely race with anyone unless we had friendly eye contact and the comfirmation that we are play just for fun....and always a thumb up for the other driver afterward.....no matter what the result is......just don't want people to think that ...oh....Legacy drivers are just bunch of snobs that think they have the fastest car in the world....

Just my 0.02...

Helloooooo TROLL! :rolleyes:

BTW, I only drove my friend's C2 on a city street up to about 65 mph. I'm pretty sure that at higher speeds the C2 would pull away. Let's face it guys, it's not that the top-end of the LGT is poor, it's just that much of the impressive 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are due to the advantage of a grippy AWD launch. After the launch, the numbers are largely determined by power to weight ratio and our cars are good in that respect, but there are many other cars that vastly exceed it.

Archived