LegacyGT.com

SI Drive weirdness

This morning on my way to work, I turned onto the the backroad that leads down to the base. No one in front of me so I put it in (had been in ), and run it up to around 80mph (had to back off as I was coming up on a couple cars), didn't take the engine much over 5k rpm, if over at all. I go to drop it back into and my knob won't do anything. :eek: I'm now just waiting for the CEL to come on-but it doesn't. I try the knob again a couple more miles down the road as i near the gate and it worked again. Anyone experience this before or know what happened??

"I" what are you talking about ?

My Spec stays in S# all the time. I hit the lever on the steering wheel as soon as the blue light goes out.

That stupid knob is useless.

After you start the car again and it warms up go to S# and leave it there. If you want better MPG buy a perius.

Or just use less pressure with your right foot.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My car had a similar issue you just don't use the knob often enough. I assume it has something to do with the contacts inside. Than again I remember I sprayed a bunch of cleaner around the knob and it possibly got in. After playing around with it worked normal and has been working normal ever since.

S# shouldn't come on at all unless you switch it there manually. If your in I mode, when you turn off your car and restart, it will start in I mode.

If your in S#. your turn off off your car and restart, it goes to S mode. Even after the egine is warmed up (the blue light) it should still stay in S mode. You'll have to switch to S# manaully all the time.

This morning on my way to work, I turned onto the the backroad that leads down to the base. No one in front of me so I put it in (had been in ), and run it up to around 80mph (had to back off as I was coming up on a couple cars), didn't take the engine much over 5k rpm, if over at all. I go to drop it back into and my knob won't do anything. :eek: I'm now just waiting for the CEL to come on-but it doesn't. I try the knob again a couple more miles down the road as i near the gate and it worked again. Anyone experience this before or know what happened??

Sounds like the button is going flaky.

I use the knob plenty, most of my commute is is in because of construction, traffic&school buses. I usually hit S# at one point every morning when two routes merge and i have 2 lanes before it narrows back to one to go over the bridge. After the bridge comes on when it can. The roads def allow for it, traffic usually does too, but cops are all over the island, and while I have radar it's not worth the risk to me.

pretty sure nothing got in around the button, no open containers in the car since the weekend, and I'm in and out of settings pretty much whenever I drive it.

I hope the button's not going flaky, the car has < 15K on it.

So what is the purpose of switching setting all the time. Just put it in S# and use your right foot to add less power. Why bother fiddling around with the knob, you should be paying attention to traffic.

If your always in S#, if you see a opening it traffic, you know you have all the power you need.

I can get over 25 mpg on the dash driving around in S#. I'll have to see if my Tuner can make it so it's always in S#. Anything less is a waste.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I mostly use sport mode on the highway since it allows for finer throttle control for cruising. When I'm driving around town I like Sport# as it gives better torque pulling away from stops. Neither sport or sport# have consistent peddle to throttle plate action. I'd like a true 1:1 mapping for the throttle.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Archived