LegacyGT.com

Replaced clutch - Engagement point completely different ?!

enforcer

Hello,

I just had my clutch replaced and when I picked up the car, the engagement point is almost all the way at the top. It used to be down much closer to the floor. I kind of am freaked out because driving the car is completely different and it's very hard to get moving from a stop when you have to completely lift your leg to get moving. I called the shop and they said that it can be a little different but this is COMPLETELY a different engagement point. I have read online that after you do a new clutch/flywheel, the engagement point or feel will be different but then will settle back after about 500 miles. Any thoughts ? Thanks!

You can adjust the friction point, to a certain degree, by adjusting the threaded pushrod between the clutch pedal linkage and the master cylinder. I find it's easiest to disconnect the wiring harness from the gas pedal to get the clearance I needed.

Both my car have different points where the engage.

My Spec clutch changed every few weeks for the first couple months. It's been in there 77,000 miles now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Exedy OEM clutch kit (WRX)? Hmm... did he convert you to a single mass flywheel too?

Anyway, my LGT when I got it at 37K had a very low clutch.... engaged almost right off the floor.

At around 51K, it started going. Engagement point was still very low. I replaced it with a WRX single mass flywheel and ACT HDSS clutch. Engagement point was very high initially.

After several hundred miles, it's settled down and gotten lower, and the feel of the pedal itself feels different too... I can't describe it.

I should have said my Spec's oem clutch grabs lower then the Spec clutch in the wagon.

I have to be careful when I first let it out on the Spec. It's not a DD, so it will catch me and stall sometimes.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Yes, the flywheel was converted to a single mass. Today, the car is making a squealing sound when it's in gear. If it push in the clutch, it goes away but as soon as I put the car into gear, it makes a squealing or chirping sound.

• 9 months later...
Yes, the flywheel was converted to a single mass. Today, the car is making a squealing sound when it's in gear. If it push in the clutch, it goes away but as soon as I put the car into gear, it makes a squealing or chirping sound.

How'd this turn out? I just converted to the single mass flywheel and installed the OEM 2007-2009 clutch kit, and I'm having similar symptoms. My engagement is way far up on the clutch pedal also, like 5-10% from the top.

Jim

I called the shop and asked them and they said "Yes, the engagement point will be different". I just learned to get used to it and I had to basically relearn how to drive this car. It took me about a month to get smooth again (or what you would call smooth with the Subaru's ON/OFF clutch). I still miss the low engagement point of the stock clutch but each day I am getting better.

Update on my New Spec 2 clutch, I have 12,000 miles on it.

It feels like and has the same engagement point as the stock clutch in my 09 Spec B. It's easy to go from car to car and not have any problem with the clutch pedal.

The clutch I referenced above was the Spec 2+ clutch installed at about 72,000 miles.

Archived