LegacyGT.com

My suspension upgrade path...

BarManBean

• Moderators

Stage 2 is pretty much in the bag. I've finally settled on the pieces parts to be installed and what type of tune I'll be going after. Only additional power mods for the foreseeable future are a new intercooler and new turbo if required (either a BNR 16g or VF52).

Moving on to suspension thoughts. I want to firm things up and quiet the body roll of my fat-ass wagon. I'm thinking the first step is sway(s). I believe the OEM sways are 19mm hollow? I'm looking for recommendations on what to go with for replacements. I don't mind created a bit of oversteer tendancy, as I'm comfortable with a car at the limits enough to not panic. I DO NOT want to induce snap oversteer though as my wife occasionally drives the car. I'm guessing the best strategy for this is matching sways, maybe 21 or 22mm. Feel free to chime in here on recommended size of sways and adjustable vs fixed sways. I'll get upgraded endlinks with whatever I put on. Anything else that's needed?

Further down the road I'll probably go with Konis F&R and replacement springs that do not drop the car much if at all.

Thanks for any input. For reference, the car is an '05 LGT wagon with ~62k miles at the moment.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Sways are a good choice. You should also look into some bushings. Start with the front LCA bushing, I prefer the positive caster one. Also the smaller lca bushings and steering rack bushings are nice.

Having adjustable sways is convenient for adjusting over/understeer bias.

Definitely get the AVO RSB mounts - the stock mounts will be problematic with stiffer sways (some have had issues with said mounts on stock sways and "spirited" driving).

I've seen the Hotchkis and Whiteline sways both get good reviews and they are priced well. Whiteline has an adjustable option as well as fixed.

KB for end links is a slam dunk. I also agree with scoobyscoodle above regarding the LCA bushings - once you're starting suspension work you will find yours are in bad shape with just over 60K. I inspected mine at approx. 65K and chunks were missing and they are causing some noises in the right conditions.

I'll be having new WL LCA bushings F/R, Roll Center/Bump steer kit (since installing Swift lowering springs), the steering rack bushings, and a rear camber kit installed Saturday and plan to give impressions after driving my spec.B since August on tired bits - should be a major improvement! Then I'll be deciding on which sways to go with as well now that winter weather is clearing. I'm leaning towards the WL adjustable sways with the AVO mounts and KB end links.

OEM sways are 21/16 hollow.

I have Bilstein HDs/Pinks/Hotcki's F/R sways/ KB endlinks/Progress RSB mounts. And and STI lower arm bar and Cusco strut tower bar. Car is nice and tight and handles curves very well, it actually feels more stable in turns than on straights due to my torn LCA bushings.

Soon enough Spec.B aluminum LCAs w/WL bushings and WL RCK will be going on and that should help with handling all around.

Archived