LegacyGT.com

1997 Legacy L wagon project

Just a quick update on my progress with the wagon.

I've weaned the car from conventional to semi-synthetic and now fully synthetic oil. Specifically Valvoline SYNpower 5W-30. Everything has been running smoothly and I've been monitoring for drips and leaks. So far so good!

Drove on some shitty ball joints for a while and paid the price. Unevenly wore the tires and the handling felt like shit. Put in brand new lifetime warranty ball joints and tie-rod ends. Along with 4 brand new Goodyear all weather tires and a standard balance and alignment.

I'm now at 158,000 miles. When I bought the car last year it was at 144,000. I need to start considering another timing belt change and some engine/tranny work. Everything's running strong though!

A local muffler/exhaust shop is putting together a quote for a brand new exhaust system. SUPER pumped about that. Anyone have any suggestions? So far here is the plan.

- Custom UEL single port header (ex. http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=22466 )

- 2 1/4" piping

- Universal high-flow cats

- New Bosch oxygen sensors

- Removing resonator

- Magnaflow muffler

I'm not 100% set on any of that ^ and I would really love to hear some feedback or suggestions. I want to car to breathe more and free up possibilities for added HP down on the line. ( engine swap ) I also love the classic boxer rumble.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey man, if I may, you are doing wonderful. I am loving the exhaust plans. What kind of sound are you looking for out of the exhaust? That plan will work well, but without resonator I am pretty sure that it will be loud and drony

Thanks Kiyo1990. The car means a lot to me and I've been trying to treat it right haha. I agree about the resonator.. I'm looking for the classic rumble and a little extra power. I certainly don't want to be "that guy" and wake everyone up driving down the block. I feel like I might run that risk removing the resonator.

Well, thats awesome. You got me wanting to finally throw my intake on it!!! I have been lazy as hell on it. I love mine too...and love your oil choice VS530!!!! I just got mine fully finished last night. I did what you planned. I love the sound. Has a nice rumble, but wont wake neighborhood. Still mostly quiet in cabin, but at all points has a nice "throat". So you wont have a fart can sound, or sound like a broke v6 mustang. I have

2.25" piping (cat back)

DNA header

front, and rear cats (direct fit)

18" resonator

cherry bomb muffler

nice tip

I love the sound. Has a nice rumble, but wont wake neighborhood. Still mostly quiet in cabin, but at all points has a nice "throat".

• 4 months later...
Worked on the car a bit today. Added new positive and negative battery cables. Got higher quality 2 gauge wire with 24k gold plated terminals and built in ports for accessories. Wrapped the cable in red wire protecting sleeves to match my red intake clamps and breather filters.

http://i50.tinypic.com/5zieqp.jpg

My spare parts pile is getting bigger!

I love the way our front ends look :)

That's that yellow crimp connection for? I'm in the process of wanting to change my battery cables to 4 AWG because of all the corrosion but what lug size did you use for the positive that connects to the starter?

Archived