LegacyGT.com

1997 Legacy L wagon project

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paint looks nice monkeyposeur. As nice as it would be, I doubt I will paint mine. If I hang on to it long enough maybe I will. Who knows.. I've got well over 6k worth of upgrades and mods in the pipeline. Plus I've come to find out the white color actually hides dirt really well. It looks clean all the time and when it really is clean, it's blindingly bright haha.

Thanks! My L was all bashed and dented in the rear end so it needed some paint after I did all the body work. I got my L for next to nothing, never thinking I would fix it up. Well, that changed after I found this site and saw how much potential and how nice a second gen can look, lol. I almost stayed with white, since it really is a nice color for our generation.

• 3 weeks later...

Just updating you guys about a few things that have happened lately. I was driving down the high way the other day going about 80 mph and all of the sudden I started hearing really loud beating on the roof. This confused the shit out of me because.. I have nothing on my roof.. So I imediately pulled over and checked it out.

Turns out my top weather stripping above my windshield was barely hanging on and beating against my roof. I pulled it off and ordered a new one from the dealership for 25 bones.. My old one looks like it was missing a clip to help hold it in place.

ALSO.

I work at Autozone and a local guy who i've helped out before came in with his 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS. Which literally happens to be my dream car. I asked him if it was for sale and he said it was. He wants 4,600 for it and it has 212,000 miles on it. Apparently the engine is getting rebuilt this month at a shop in prep for him to sell it. I told showed him my wagon and he was very interested. He said he would do an even trade and I only bought mine for 2,800 plus maybe another 800-1000 I've dumped in it. My impulse decision is to obviously do it, but the adult part of my brain thinks my Leggy is still the better daily driver and best investment because I have documented proof on how well it's been taken care of, plus the relatively low millage for the year.

I think I'm going to let it pass, but still. :( I want it!!!! haha.

It looked just like this..

http://www.autoseekandsell.com/userimages/PDRM0036.JPG

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I've posted. Just wanted to share a few changes with you guys!

First, I've done a bit of work on my front USDM spare grill I bought.

http://i49.tinypic.com/w0tf77.jpg

How it looks stock ^

http://i45.tinypic.com/11b6afq.jpg

Front grill off the ride. ^

http://i47.tinypic.com/fdr77o.jpg

Tada ^ Just masked off the emblem, primed, and went at it!

http://i46.tinypic.com/b5fdwx.jpg

I think it looks better! ^

I've also started working on an intake system for the subi. The stock air box seems efficient enough with how hooks up to the fender-well and pulls cold air straight from the front bumper mesh. How ever it seems really flow restrictive up towards the actual throttle body.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/534392_3687344420891_927188074_n.jpg

It's still connected to the stock air box at the moment as I'm still fabricating the MAF adapter that will hold the new filter. It's still a work in progress. I'm going to replace some old vacuum line with some new and possibly clean things up a bit.

Let me know what you think!

My GT had the grille painted black (it's white now) & it looked just as sick as this one does now. Black is a good contrast to the white & makes it look much more aggressive!

Also, I have that exact same intake on my 22D & it works very well with the stock intake box, which is why I kept it. That is the best intake combo, IMHO.

My GT had the grille painted black (it's white now) & it looked just as sick as this one does now. Black is a good contrast to the white & makes it look much more aggressive!

Also, I have that exact same intake on my 22D & it works very well with the stock intake box, which is why I kept it. That is the best intake combo, IMHO.

Thanks! I did quite a bit of research in the 2nd gen section of the forum concerning the best upgrades and techniques. I read that a hybrid intake style was preferred since these leggys have that nice true "cold air" intake connected through the fenderwell. I was impressed by the stock design honestly. However the top black piece connected to the throttle body did seem flow restrictive. I think I'll go ahead and give the cone filter a shot, may end up leaving the stock box though. One things for sure, I don't want to sacrifice performance/economy for looks. I'm all about wanting my little EJ to preform that much better.

Looks like I'll be going 100% N/A power with it since turbo'd EJ22's aren't exactly advised. I don't have a giant budget for an engine swap or even upgraded internals at this point. That means I will be investing most of my money from here on out into suspension, wheels/tires, etc.

@Jejenki91 - It's just a late year '97 Legacy L build with an EJ22. Plain jane hood at the moment unfortunately. Will be looking around for a GT hood even though the hood scoops are all show and no go. They put a great little aggressive touch to the body design.

Thanks! I did quite a bit of research in the 2nd gen section of the forum concerning the best upgrades and techniques. I read that a hybrid intake style was preferred since these leggys have that nice true "cold air" intake connected through the fenderwell. I was impressed by the stock design honestly. However the top black piece connected to the throttle body did seem flow restrictive. I think I'll go ahead and give the cone filter a shot, may end up leaving the stock box though. One things for sure, I don't want to sacrifice performance/economy for looks. I'm all about wanting my little EJ to preform that much better.

Looks like I'll be going 100% N/A power with it since turbo'd EJ22's aren't exactly advised. I don't have a giant budget for an engine swap or even upgraded internals at this point. That means I will be investing most of my money from here on out into suspension, wheels/tires, etc.

@Jejenki91 - It's just a late year '97 Legacy L build with an EJ22. Plain jane hood at the moment unfortunately. Will be looking around for a GT hood even though the hood scoops are all show and no go. They put a great little aggressive touch to the body design.

The top piece (torque box) is very restrictive, which is why it is wise to use the intakes that we have. Do not switch it out to a cone filter. You will lose a bit of that cool charge due to the intake sucking in heat directly from the engine. It's best to leave the hybrid intake as is.

Lightweight (not underdrive) pulleys will help greatly as will suspension/braking mods mostly. I have an EJ22 & it produces enough power for me to pass people if I need it to. And the GT hood is still beneficial, even without the intercooler it's designed to enclose. Cold air still comes in & impacts the whole engine bay. It works & since our intakes are right scoop area, everything works out well.

The top piece (torque box) is very restrictive, which is why it is wise to use the intakes that we have. Do not switch it out to a cone filter. You will lose a bit of that cool charge due to the intake sucking in heat directly from the engine. It's best to leave the hybrid intake as is.

That all makes sense to me as well. I'll share my thought process behind my idea. The style of filter I would be adding if I do try out a cone filter is a Spectre washable/reusable filter with an open ended cone. They make an adapter piece that allows for a tube to be connected at the end of the filter and connected into the fenderwell just like the stock box. Since the new filter would sit pretty much exactly where the stock box is, the distance between the end of the cone and the fenderwell hole for cold air should be minimal (connected with that tube). In theory this should re-introduce the "cold air" flow as good as the stock system and still allowing for more breathability within the engine bay. What are your thoughts on that? If you have some good points I will probably leave it the way it is for now then :)

Any suggestions on where to pick up some light weight pulleys? I've seen them listed over at http://www.cosmoracing.com but I've had a bad experience with them. Their short shifters are garbage. Spare me the lecture lol I shouldn't have skimped on price but still. I have a very slight wobble in my main pulley so replacing it would be a good idea anyway.

That all makes sense to me as well. I'll share my thought process behind my idea. Since the new filter would sit pretty much exactly where the stock box is, the distance between the end of the cone and the fenderwell hole for cold air should be minimal (connected with that tube). In theory this should re-introduce the "cold air" flow as good as the stock system and still allowing for more breathability within the engine bay. What are your thoughts on that? If you have some good points I will probably leave it the way it is for now then :)

The area underneath our engines aren't blocked off by plastic like the later gens, so we are prone to more dirty engine bays. This alone would make it very unwise to use cone filters in our intakes. That & the fact that out intakes are designed to inhale air from a very efficient spot. Also, there are reports of CELs being produced by the removal of the helmholtz resonator, which made me not even mess with it.

The area underneath our engines aren't blocked off by plastic like the later gens

Definitely true. I'd love to add a skid-plate underneath to help protect my front axles and other important parts off road. I bet it would also keep the engine area cleaner. I saw one in the "for sale by members section " but it would still require quite a bit of modification. Not to mention having to remove it every time you do an oil change or any other serious work.

It would also be nice to build some sort of heat barrier like I've seen on a lot of other non subi builds. Block off the filter from the hotest portion of the engine and only allowing cool air flow from the fender.

Put in new NGK Iridium plugs today. Accidentally broke the metal tip off one of my plug wires so I had to run and grab a new set. So new plugs and wires!

Oh and any tips on where to find lightweight pulleys? Will any other subi applications ('04 WRX, etc.) work on the EJ22E as well? I know that's the case for some strut and suspension parts.

Thanks!

Ebay would be a great start for lightweight pulleys but there are threads in the 2nd Gen forum that give you a very good introduction to modifying our cars. Any pulley that bolts onto an EJ will work for all of them (DOHC or SOHC).

Excellent. Thanks for the info. Time to start searching! BTW I checked out your thread on the DOHC 2.5 heads on the EJ22 awesome! Watched your youtube vids on the progress. You weren't lying your intake looks almost exactly like mine.

Latest picture of my engine. Just put in new NGK Platinum plugs and a new plug wire set. Oil change and also removed the old stock airbox mounts above the throttle body. They were just sitting there and unnecessary.

http://i49.tinypic.com/l85es.jpg

Your intake looks a little cleaner fitting than mine though. I had to cut into mine a little to get it to function with the vacuum lines. I love the ID of the piping though & the fact that it's so easy to remove if I want it off. Your engine bay looks wicked clean as well.

I had to cut into mine a little to get it to function with the vacuum lines.

As did I. The built in vacuum line holes were way to small on the modular piece I chose to house the lines. So.. I made it bigger haha. Took a dremel too it and made it 3/4" the same size as the hose going into it. Sealed it up with some black silicone and called it good.

When I originally set up the intake, I re-used the old larger vacuum line going into the intake and it was quite brittle. I had to put a little PVC elbow adapter piece on the end of it and reduced the size to fit into the intake. After this my cold rev was WAY to high. Almost at 3k. It was also extremely boggy in low RPM range. I knew it had to be a leak after the MAF or more specifically related to my ghetto PVC elbow adapter into the intake. I redesigned the vacuum line and input to what you see today. Ran a straight 3/4" hose from fitting to intake and it cured all the issues. Idle's perfectly and I'm finally seeing the benefits from a properly set-up intake. A tiny bit more pep and some a nice sound when I really decide to get on the throttle.

I do somewhat regularly and carefully degrease the engine bay but it's been a while since the last time. I also have a small power steering fluid leak at the base of the res. I replaced the pump when I first bought the car and all the main seals and o-rings are good to go. It's the main O-ring at the bottom of the base or the bolt at the bottom or something.. I just need to take it off and take a look. Wouldn't hurt to drain and replace the fluid as well. I have plans on making the engine bay much cleaner :)

Worked on the car a bit today. Added new positive and negative battery cables. Got higher quality 2 gauge wire with 24k gold plated terminals and built in ports for accessories. Wrapped the cable in red wire protecting sleeves to match my red intake clamps and breather filters.

http://i50.tinypic.com/5zieqp.jpg

My spare parts pile is getting bigger!

http://i48.tinypic.com/1g38mg.jpg

I love the way our front ends look :)

http://i48.tinypic.com/1e7tds.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just a few updated pictures of the whip.

A few of the interior.

http://i45.tinypic.com/34ru3go.jpg

Working on a few things outside of the office.

http://i47.tinypic.com/sg633b.jpg

Updated view of the engine bay.

http://i46.tinypic.com/11s036r.jpg

Archived