LegacyGT.com

How does cutting off mufflers effect performance?

lol slow

I cut my mufflers off, car sounds good and all...but someone mentioned something about back pressure. Does me having less back pressure decrease performance? I've been trying to figure this out for a while now.

You need to log to see if there is big change. You are increasing the VE but who knows by how much. NSFW runs a 30r on stock mufflers and it puts down pretty big numbers still. And if anything, decreasing backpressure is better for a turbo car.

i would say it doesnt decrease performance because i know of friend that runs his 2010 wrx on stock open downpipe...its not even that loud. not to mention take into consideration the theory behind an electronic cut out etc

You just need pressure leading up to the turbo to spool it and it should be fee flowing afterwords. If you have pressure after the turbo the it would slow the turbine down and boost would be lower. Going from stock to stage 2 just makes the car more of a free flowing exhaust after the turbo

my take on it, seems it pulls fine in low end, but dies out on top end, i was getting caught up with by a 2012 STI with ONLY an intake...

The sti has a bigger turbo so he has more top end also the gearing and weight affects it too

I gotcha, I was going to do an Invidia N1 racing muffler single exit, but now I'm thinking I might do straight pipes to a quad tip basically like the Q300 or whatever invidia exhaust, no mufflers just straight pipe.

I gotcha, I was going to do an Invidia N1 racing muffler single exit, but now I'm thinking I might do straight pipes to a quad tip basically like the Q300 or whatever invidia exhaust, no mufflers just straight pipe.

I ran a single 3" straight pipe all the way to the back. Sounds great and is much lighter than the silly Y-pipe and mufflers.

my take on it, seems it pulls fine in low end, but dies out on top end, i was getting caught up with by a 2012 STI with ONLY an intake...

What idiot put just an intake on an STI?!?! Did he tune for it? :rolleyes:

At stock power level the stock intake is not a bottleneck. His intake will lean out the mixture like crazy, since the ECU can't compensate for it and will probably contribute to him blowing his engine up doing WOT pulls. :spin:

Didnt read anyone elses posts but here's the low down on backpressure.

Exhaust pressure is BAD

Exhaust velocity is GOOD

High velocity does create pressure, but it's not the pressure you're seeking it's the velocity! Cutting off the mufflers will decrease the resistance in your exhaust system, but in order to make use of it you'll need to "redesign" your exhaust system.

The most important exhaust parts are the header-runners, once you hit the cat go as big as you want because the scavenging effect is done at that point and you just want to get rid of the exhaust asap.

You just need pressure leading up to the turbo to spool it and it should be fee flowing afterwords. If you have pressure after the turbo the it would slow the turbine down and boost would be lower. Going from stock to stage 2 just makes the car more of a free flowing exhaust after the turbo

Well at least someone has it right. I guess these guy's have never had a turbo charged race car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

thanks for all the comments, I currently do have it off, I've gotten one ticket, and that was an accident I tried to catch a light right by a cop, otherwise if I shift low and keep it calm which I do a lot now since my coils, no issues at all. I am a tool, so you know how that goes...

one thing I hate it, how it looks with no tips yet bumper cut outs.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/541010_426872610663070_100000210044220_1917337_121881854_n.jpg

I'll get something figured out eventually.

thanks for all the comments, I currently do have it off, I've gotten one ticket, and that was an accident I tried to catch a light right by a cop, otherwise if I shift low and keep it calm which I do a lot now since my coils, no issues at all. I am a tool, so you know how that goes...

one thing I hate it, how it looks with no tips yet bumper cut outs.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/541010_426872610663070_100000210044220_1917337_121881854_n.jpg

I'll get something figured out eventually.

You miss the bogus dual exhaust tips? If the Legacy had a real dual exhaust, I could see keeping the original look. Before I ran a single big pipe out the back, I used to cringe everytime I looked at my fake dual exhaust.

However, don't you get exhaust gass sucked up into the driver's compartment?

go ahead they can find me, considering the video was recorded in Mexico, I don't care. Plus don't pay attention to what it was, just the sound.

Anyways, no smell or anything, it's cut off by rear axle. Fake or not, it looked filled and "meant to be there" you know?

go ahead they can find me, considering the video was recorded in Mexico, I don't care. Plus don't pay attention to what it was, just the sound.

Anyways, no smell or anything, it's cut off by rear axle. Fake or not, it looked filled and "meant to be there" you know?

Didn't realize Mexico had interstates exactly like ours...

One more time and you are out of here...

:spin:

Archived