LegacyGT.com

Should I swap the tires?

AWDpower

I just bought my Legacy GT, and I'm not a fan of M&S rated tires. I've read less then glowing reviews here about the oem tires. I plan on selling my Eclipse GSX, which I just put new BFG KDW tires on, 225/45/17's. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to swap them over to the Legacy?

Jason K.

I've had some good wet weather tires on some cars, and some bad wet weather tires on some cars.

The RE92s are tied with the worst of the lot, and I will be replacing them very soon.

They aren't that bad, if you drive like a normal person. If you are an enthusiast, they don't cut the mustard. I kept mine for winter duty on the Mini.....fine for Mid-A winters.

i havent swapped out yet -- and will probably try and wear them down as much as possible before getting new tires.

yes, they suck - but when you bump up the tire pressure it really makes them much more predictable and consistant.

For everyday driving, the're fine. I dont really notice their limitations until im out on the track.

I autocrossed my Galant VR4 once on the cheapie pep boys tires it came with. That sure was a lot of fun. Not very fast though. It looked like I was participating in a drift contest.

Jason K.

At 31 psi, I thought I had a flat tire the way it would trip all over itself. I've had the car hydroplane on me, in the snow it was like being securely belted into a 3300 lb sled, which ABS always kicked in making the most unpleasant sound "GA-CH-CH-GR-CH-CH-CH-CH-CH-CH-GR-CH," when making a turn it felt like the tire was failing or you have a flat. They're miserble little bastards - swap them out. ;)

They aren't that bad, if you drive like a normal person. If you are an enthusiast, they don't cut the mustard. I kept mine for winter duty on the Mini.....fine for Mid-A winters.

PGT has it right....at least until they get some wear on them. I found them acceptable early on though as they wore they were less and less predictable and especially so in the rain. I got so uncomfortable with them in the rain at 10K miles that I replaced them.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

so nobody likes the OEM tires.. So what tires do people recommend (assuming same size)..

I have not had the car more then about 2 weeks now so I really haven't had a problem with the stock tires.. When can I expect or "watch" for crappy performance?

Archived