LegacyGT.com

intercooler and blowby. How much is too much?

I unbolted my OEM intercooler the other day (for the first time) and noticed a thin film of oil inside from each end. I got scared cause I first thought it was supposed to be dry in there.

From my own research, I now understand that it is blowby and that we should have some and it is normal. But how much is too much in the intercooler?

Ever change the PCV? Made a big difference for me when I swapped out my clogged up old one.

No I have not changed the PCV yet. I may have to do it.

I had the same concerns last year when I saw a good amount of oil in my I/C and intake tube. Decided to use a catch can to catch the oil coming up from the valve covers, and in 3 months this is how much oil I've caught from blow by. Ever since then, my I/C and intake tube has been clean.

wow. interesting..How did you install this catch can?

And what do you mean by the intercooler was 'clean'? Was it perfectly dry inside or was there still a thin oil coat?

It befondles me how both you guys with a vf40 are getting that much blow-by :confused:

Are you saying that one should expect to have their stock intercooler almost dry inside if one would do a random check on it? (with stock everything)

not dry, a little film of oil.... but that's it. If I were you I'd replace the pcv first, it's like a $20 part at the dealer.

ok. that's what I got. But I will still go ahead and change it. Problem is I currently am on the other side of the pond..will have to pay extra for shipping..

On another note, interesting to see that the official subaru inspection sheet does not include checking or replacing this part.

k thank you. I'll check out your thread for sure. As for your definition of clean, I will assume you mean the inside of the I/C was completely dry and you did not have an oil film in there.

Clean as in clean. ;)

My wife's balls are delicious.

twice between every fill up.

wow...paranoid much?

I did a full walkthrough over on .org. - http://www.legacygt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2408

For the most part, it has stayed clean. Plus, before I did the catch can I replaced the PCV valve and hoses.

Is .ORG still around?

Anyone have the link to Freedbeen PVC replacement with the hoses and everything?

Archived