LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy - 4 x 10" in the tirewell

v0lume

Just finished my new sub box to be put into my 2005 Legacy GT. It is 2.35 cubic foot and sits flush in the tirewell. It will house four 2 ohm Boston Pro Series 10 inch subs.

I will post some more pics once it is complete. Thank you Subaru for building a kick ass tirewell that is so deep and simetrical.

The system consists of the following -

Pioneer DEH-P9650 Head Unit

Boston Pro 10.5 x 4 Subs

Boston Pro 6.53 three ways (Front)

Boston Pro 6.5 two way (Rear)

MTX 81000D - 1500WRMS x 1 @ 2 Ohm

MTX 280 - 40RMS x 2

MTX 4320 - 40RMS x 4

0 Gauge Power Cable

2 x 1 Farad Caps

DSC02765.JPG.100a4a0d609fe03e000e305321e49805.JPG

DSC02768.JPG.42fc117fafd50c5e8b3f9b79b402e8bb.JPG

DSC02771.JPG.ad28a255419a34db8d1012594a80f35f.JPG

DSC02773.JPG.44c2785c16ca0392c3ee96bc7057f7da.JPG

DSC02777.JPG.76fb1698a31c2a2f9c56f0626392ee8e.JPG

I spoke with Boston Acoustics and they say each 10" needs 0.5 cubic foot. I checked with them again just in case, and the 0.5 cubic also includes the sub. Not bad aye.

Spare tire, who needs that. Two cans of tire foam and the luck of not having a puncture on low profiles in 10 years is behind me. Touch wood, all 2.35 cubic feet of it. :lol:

Besides, stuff riding on those space save things. The only thing they are good for is burnouts!

No center brace on your box or paint inside? You are losing 6db without. You should put a brace in between the four woofers and use some cheap spray paint to coat the inside of the box (or better, put some fiberglass resin). Did you put a bead of caulk down to seal the inside corners as well? You went to the trouble of gluing and screwing the box, go the last step and make it pound. ;)

150 lbs in the rear makes for a 50/50 split, right? So, it will weigh as much as a 330i, have the same weight distribution AND sound good....not to mention it's a wagon :cool:

least the music will sound nice while he waits for AAA :)

Until the battery dies out running 4 x 10"s.

Wouldnt it be better to run just 2 x 10"s and cram the battery and caps down in the tirewell instead? That would be my option.. if someone could educate me the why quantity of 10"s is a lot better than a smaller quantity of 12"s. Is it because of the loudness or you end up loosing the tight bass? If we are talking about moving air, wouldnt it just make more sense to get tighter bass and just run one serious 15" or 2 really high class 12"s? Does anyone run clam-style sub mounting anymore? Or is phasing really annoying to deal with today's technology?

Sorry, my term of "music" consist of 5,000+ rpms of the intake/combustion/exhaust orchestra.

Keefe

Keefe

well, you have two things. Think of the subs just like pistons. How much surface area do they have? The second part is the motor structure. Just like a 2L six is more combustion efficient than the same size four. Four tens will have four motor structures....at the same loudness as two twelves, they will theoretically have less distortion and more control. You have to do the math to see what works best, but generally speaking, a larger quantity of drivers will sound better than the same surface area of larger ones. There other considerations....phase interference between multiple subs, proper loading of the amplifier, etc.

What you are referring to with 'clam style' loading is an isobaric pair - two motor structures running one driver (technically two, but only the output of one is heard). The benefits of an isobaric pair is smaller enclosure size and more control. Audio companies have engineered this benefit into their subs (Kicker SoloBaric and JL W6 were the first back in the mid '90's, IIRC) by creating higher mass cones for a lower Q (resonant freq), more precise control and larger drive structures. The problem with these woofers is two-fold - lower sensitivity (meaner lower output per watt) and less 'impact' or midbas s performance.

I have owned many great subs (W6, W3, SoloBaric, PPI PRO series), but my all-time favorite was an Alpine PRO-6015. It had a huge drive structure and was an 'underhung design' (referring to the voice coil) - it had incredible impact and decent output, but needed a 3.0 cu. ft enclosure and only handled 300 watts. The PPI 'borrowed' the underhung VC and took the motor structure to the next level......sound quality and guts. :D

I still have a little way to go on the box. The bracing and sealing is this weekend. I have owned a number of subs - JBL GTI's 1000W x 4, Soundstream SPL160 x 4 and Soundstream SPL12's x 4.

I am a 10" man. The displacement of the Boston Pro 10.5's are apparently the equivalent of 12" subs. I love tight base, the 15" were very boomy and needed a huge box. I was getting 165db out of the 15"s but am now more of a clarity person.

I love tight base,

Sorry couldn't resist. :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/zmarko/All-Your-Base1.jpg

I'm curious to see how this will sound. Good luck with the project!

so 50 lbs on the subs... and the box? the amps? cap? wires? the heavier battery? So it should be 100 lbs then? Replacing the spare tire and tools... so it really comes down to adding about 50 lbs more into the car.

Keefe

Keefe

oh god this argument... I showed my friend my system for the first time and he almost threw a cow because my box wasn't in the center of the car (hi B4_Maniac) omg 15 pounds!?!?! time to remap the ECU.... It was at that point i wanted to ask him when he drove with female passengers, did he make them sit on the center console to balance the cars weight distribution? but for arguments sake I didn't (althought i'd be using the same logic). Hell i weigh 150 pounds, i could put King Kong in my trunk and still weigh less then the average over weight American driving the same car so the 50 pounds argument isn't that valid. It's only valid if we all used the same 96 pound horse jockey to drive our cars. The weight could be in the car or IN MUH BELLY! but one way or another, the weights going to be there :p

Is like arguing over ? + ? = ?

Bro that box is tight, and you have a wagon. I'd rather fill it up with speakers then Groceries!

Good call c_low78. I am putting one amp under the drivers seat - yes it fits. One amp next to the sub box in the tirewell and one on the back of the back seat - the big bastard. The caps fit on the other side of the sub box in the tirewell, so all you can see when you open the boot is the MTX 81000D. If I could hide that, I would.

I knew a guy who used to ask chicks weights before they got in the car so he could position them correctly. Funny, he is still single

Archived