LegacyGT.com

cold start valve rattle

I never got to hear my new 98LGT on a cold start, till I brought it home . On cool, not cold mornings I notice a few seconds of valve noise . Is this normal or at least common on a 142k 2.5 subie. The PO has a napa oil filter on it so I imagine 10w30 or40 oil Im not sure. I'm thinking about going with mobile one high mile 5w30. Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated!!!

The tap comes from the hydraulic lifter pushing on the valve. They will leak out a bit over time. On cold morning starts, they tend to make noise because they haven't fully pumped up to pressure due to cold, slow moving oil.

The newer SOHC 2.5's don't have this same type of issue as they use lash adjusters and rockers. When they tap, the tap usually stays.

No synth oil for me.

The tap comes from the hydraulic lifter pushing on the valve. They will leak out a bit over time. On cold morning starts, they tend to make noise because they haven't fully pumped up to pressure due to cold, slow moving oil.

The newer SOHC 2.5's don't have this same type of issue as they use lash adjusters and rockers. When they tap, the tap usually stays.

No synth oil for me.

HLA's are only on the 96LGT's. The 97 and up LGT's all have shim over bucket designs.

I hate all Mobil products lol

On NASIOC there are some bad stories with mobil 1 oil products.

I myself run shell or pennzoil products.

FYI this is all personal opinion, lets not start a flame war about oil.

Hates, pretty strong, don't ya think got any links or other documentation . I agree though no oil wars , thats for btog blog. lol

I'm not trying to start anything here but how can they say that Mobil 1 is the cause of that. Lots of people spin bearings and I'm sure not everyone is running Mobil 1. Mom's Outback has 120k with no issues and it has had Mobil 1 since day one. I will look into some of the other oils though because the Shell Rotella is brought up as being "the best" a lot. But I always thought Rotella was geared more towards the diesel crowd... My dad has always run Rotella in his '03 Cummins since day one.

Oil is personal opinion and always will be. Being in the subaru crowd for a while, it has been known for not being good in ej series motors. My machine shop feels the same as I do about mobil products.

Rotella is an amazing oil for built motors (yes I know most people here done have a built motor). Yes it is made for a diesel motor, but is not only for diesel motors. btog explains this crap way better than I will, so if you like to know the specifics then check it out.

I don't even know what oil to put in my car... There are too many choices! I've just been running Mobil since that it what we get for the Outback and it is easy to just grab another jug of it for my car.

Quit worrying, but I would use the high mile version if your over a 100k put it in moms car too.

Good morning! I Was reading some more of the links you posted , 1 thing I did get from them is that 5w30 oil is not race oil weather your using mobil 1 or pennzoil its designed for fuel economy. If your a hard driver Id run a 5w40 or even a 5w50. dino or synthetic oils the only thing you gain with syn. oil is extended oci's just my .02 cents

If your car has never had High Mileage oil in it do not start to use it. It's primary purpose is to cause seals and gaskets to swell to keep a worn out engine from leaking oil. If it is not leaking, Don't use it. Once you start using that crap you may be stuck having to use it forever.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

If your car has never had High Mileage oil in it do not start to use it. It's primary purpose is to cause seals and gaskets to swell to keep a worn out engine from leaking oil. If it is not leaking, Don't use it. Once you start using that crap you may be stuck having to use it forever.

High mi. oil also better detergent qualities. if you know your motors original and over 100K it could use a good cleaning, on the inside.

Archived