LegacyGT.com

STI Master Cyl. and Brake Booster SWAP SUMMARY for LGT

I just asked this on the previous page - apparently the bolt holes are different.

duh! I swear I went through most pages looking for something like that :spin:

I'm gonna look for pics of how the MC attaches to the booster.. Maybe an adapter of sorts would work? I really don't want to do all that work.. :|

Taka used a 1" MC from a WRX instead of the 1-1/16" from an STi :) He says the sizing of the 1" MC and our brakes (well.. LGT brakes) should be a closer match to the 1-1/16" MC and STi brakes.

You're right, it would probably be simpler. I looked at both master cylinders and an adapter to fit the WRX/STi MC to the LGT booster wouldn't be terribly complicated to machine. But yeah, I'll just wait for a bit of time to do the entire swap.

I started out with the 1 1/16 from the STI. I bought a booster, MBC, check valve hose combo off ebay. Check earlier posts for my mini walk through and list of challenges I faced. I tried some basic math on the two component options (the 1" and the 1 1/16"), and just based on MBC/caliper ratios the 1 1/16 came out to be a closer match to what the STI would have - so that is what I went with. I tried it and thought "holy @#$% that is insanely sensitive". Seriously, its like 100% on or 100% off in like an inch of pedal travel. That's what prompted me to try out the WRX 1", which IMO is definitely the one to go with. It gives a far more normal feeling pedal when compared with most everything else out there - not quite, but the best option here.

The math and crap does not take into account differences within the boosters, the pedal arm length/pedal fulcrum position, or other mystery differences. That is why it probably ended up being better with the 1". If anyone is interested, I can try and dig up the post I found where I got my raw data from. It was basically an excel chart showing all of the brake components and their details for Subarus from the late 90s+

Again, warning to anyone doing this: You may have to bend some hard lines back a few degrees on the firewall to fit the new booster, and the clevis pin needs to be rotated a few turns from stock or else your brakes will lock up. Again, see previous posts. I did some tests on this but can't remember off the top of my head what the results were.

• 9 months later...

I will say SBT, that a friend of mine has a LGT and his pedel feels real firm like the STI booster does (I have driven an outback with STI booster)

Mine on the other hand feels super power assist for first 1/3 to 1/2 and then more firm. By the time you get to the more firm pedel it's way too much push and you are stopping to quick.

I want the firm pedel from the start like Shawn LGT, and a friend outback with the STI booster.

On all our cars we bled them by pumping and someone else opening the bleeder in the correct order

Edited by Scooby2.5

3) Bench bleed the MC before install or use a power bleeder.

4) Make sure the rod length on the new STI booster is the same as the LGT booster. (It will cause brake lockup problems if it's not the same)

From the service Manual on Rod Length

1) Check and adjust the operating rod of brake booster.

Standard L: 136.3 mm (5.38 in)

If it is not within the specified value, adjust it by adjusting the brake booster operating rod.

Measurement.jpg.ec85cb0de109eff2ffcd4a0d60b223c8.jpg

Edited by Scooby2.5

I will say SBT, that a friend of mine has a LGT and his pedel feels real firm like the STI booster does (I have driven an outback with STI booster)

Mine on the other hand feels super power assist for first 1/3 to 1/2 and then more firm. By the time you get to the more firm pedel it's way too much push and you are stopping to quick.

I want the firm pedel from the start like Shawn LGT, and a friend outback with the STI booster.

On all our cars we bled them by pumping and someone else opening the bleeder in the correct order

I use a Motive power bleeder on mine and follow the manual for the sequencing. Pedal is always firm with nearly no (<3/8") of yield before it gets very firm and stays that way through the stroke. Modulation is linear and braking is very right now. Not E26 M5 right now, but close IME.

Centric Premium rotors, with bedded-in Hawk HPS performance pads, on stock calipers with Stop Tech SS Lines are at all four corners. The GS MC brace is installed and I've never felt the need to upgrade to anything beyond this stage.

I've not driven an OB or OBXT so can't comment on the pedal feel, nor the grip of the brakes, but it does sound like the OEM bits leave the driver wanting more of both.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Yea the outback XT had the small 2.5i brakes. I first put LGT brakes on it and then the wildwood kit.

I recently got a killer deal off the forum for a stop tech front BBK.

In any case I have never had a firm pedal and the only thing I can attribute it to is the outback booster.

Ive done a lot of research on the different boosters and what people have reported and honestly it makes no sense how some are firm and others are not.

The OB booster is def a different part number than the rest.

So I am going to try the STI booster. I found a good one that is a Bosch booster but been sitting on it for a few years just too lazy to make the switch :)

I think its time I do it though.....

It seems with the BBK and somewhat the wilwoods that because my booster doesn't allow for a firm pedal I get deposits on the rotor from the pads and it gets shudder.

Seems to be worse if I have slotted rotors.

The best most smooth use I had was the wildwood kit with Porterfield R4S pads and smooth Centric rotors.

I have bedded each time per the manufacturer

Anyway trying the booster soon to see how it does with the Stoptech ST40 kit.

I use a Motive power bleeder on mine and follow the manual for the sequencing. Pedal is always firm with nearly no (<3/8") of yield before it gets very firm and stays that way through the stroke. Modulation is linear and braking is very right now. Not E26 M5 right now, but close IME.

Centric Premium rotors, with bedded-in Hawk HPS performance pads, on stock calipers with Stop Tech SS Lines are at all four corners. The GS MC brace is installed and I've never felt the need to upgrade to anything beyond this stage.

I've not driven an OB or OBXT so can't comment on the pedal feel, nor the grip of the brakes, but it does sound like the OEM bits leave the driver wanting more of both.

You got brace for LGT?

• 2 months later...
Did you get it installed Scooby?

Also, what do you guys think about an install of this on an otherwise stock XT 5EAT setup? I read through the thread but no mention of that being done. ..

I've used the STI MC and STI BB on my 5EAT OBXT.

I also have a Grimmspeed brace, LGT slotted rotors, LGT calipers, and SS lines.

If this is installed and not adjusted correctly, it will feel like crap. Overall, I DO think it's worth it, but it needs to be adjusted correctly. You don't want 3" travel and no feel and you don't want 8" travel and no feel.

Keep in mind, this is a feel upgrade and not a performance upgrade. If you want performance, just get better pads.

I've used the STI MC and STI BB on my 5EAT OBXT.

I also have a Grimmspeed brace, LGT slotted rotors, LGT calipers, and SS lines.

If this is installed and not adjusted correctly, it will feel like crap. Overall, I DO think it's worth it, but it needs to be adjusted correctly. You don't want 3" travel and no feel and you don't want 8" travel and no feel.

Keep in mind, this is a feel upgrade and not a performance upgrade. If you want performance, just get better pads.

He fenominal, which Grimmspeed brace did you get to use with STI booster in a LGT/Outback?

• 3 months later...
Attached for reference:

STI brake booster rod spec

See post 212. That is the spec for legacy

Pretty sure you have to match legacy spec or you have issues because of rod length and firewall width etc.

Edited by Scooby2.5

• 2 weeks later...