LegacyGT.com

Spring Length Comparison?

:eek:

So this looks like the Legacy strut actually has more travel. :eek: I'm not 100% sure which spring is which, but comparing your earlier picture, I would say the longer spring is the Outback's, but the Legacy STRUT has a longer stroke, and longer distance from perch to tip of the shaft unloaded. :confused:

If they decided to wipe out the 99% least useful posts at this site, yours would still be among the 1% remaining. In other words THANKS!!!!

But, any chance you can confirm which spring is which????

And any chance you can measure the thickness of the metal...with a micromete,r or even a strip of paper wrapped around the metal to get a diameter? I'm curious if one spring is stiffer than the other....by virtue of its metal thickness. It almost looks lik eyo9u could cut 1/4 turn off the longer spring and end up with an equivlent to the shorter spring.

One thing I should add is, I have a spare front Outback strut (2.5i), and at rest it looks like OutbackXT's, but you can pull the shaft further out. If fully assembled, I would think the spring tension would extend it further than this photo would imply. Not sure if the same thing is true with the Legacy strut.

Did you ever hear back from JDM Hub? I called and they said no more available

No, I've been too busy lately. They never charged my card so I'm pretty sure I won't be getting them. My struts just arrived today so I need to find some shorter springs that will work.

I'm wondering if we could adapt the front Koni inserts for the Leggy to the Outback struts? The strut body is a bit longer on the Outback, but we might be able to drop a spacer into the bottom of the body and substitute a longer bolt to hold the insert in place.

Key questions:

1. Is there any difference in the diameter of the strut housing tubes directly below the gold collar?

2. How much difference is there in the fully extended length of the shafts (measured from the top of the gold collar to the point where the shaft necks down to go through the top hat)?

3. How much difference is there in the fully compressed length of the shafts (same as above, will need to pull off the yellow bump stop to measure accurately)?

I'm wondering if we could adapt the front Koni inserts for the Leggy to the Outback struts? The strut body is a bit longer on the Outback, but we might be able to drop a spacer into the bottom of the body and substitute a longer bolt to hold the insert in place.

Key questions:

1. Is there any difference in the diameter of the strut housing tubes directly below the gold collar?

2. How much difference is there in the fully extended length of the shafts (measured from the top of the gold collar to the point where the shaft necks down to go through the top hat)?

3. How much difference is there in the fully compressed length of the shafts (same as above, will need to pull off the yellow bump stop to measure accurately)?

I had looked into using the Koni inserts earlier. The primary issue I see is that Koni provides new struts for the rear, as opposed to inserts, so the overall strut length is comparable to the Legacy rather than the Outback. So if we make the assumption that the Koni insert would work correctly in the front we would still end up with the nose in the air and butt dragging on the ground. http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-272/Koni-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail

I don't have definitive answers to any of your three questions but justsuspension.com does provide the extended and compressed lengths for all the KYB struts for both the Legacy and Outback applications. I would presume that the Koni lengths would be comparable to the legacy KYB lengths.

I finally made a decision on new suspension...

KYB replacements for the front (standard parts) with '04 KYBs in the rear. Then I'll be running the Eibach Pro Kit Springs for the '02-'04 Outback. The springs have a claimed height drop of 1.2" so this should come out to be roughly 15.8" from wheel center to fender. I'll still have plenty of clearance at the front spring perch with the OE replacement struts for future wheel options.

Well, the Eiback Pro Kit for the 02-04 OB has been discontinued. I have contacted every/all vendors that list the parts on their websites when doing a google search and can confirm that nobody has them. Now I'm regretting having already purchase the KYB struts... should've just bought the BC Coilovers and been done with it. Bummer.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I bet you could sell them in a heartbeat if you haven't installed them....probably to some people who currently have BC CO's...if you catch my drift.

Been a bit over-busy lately... but I finished installing them a while ago. Don't you like your BC CO's?

• 1 year later...

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=c1ac8fd132f1c1d959d5f77155b0d5a6&loc=http%3A%2F%2Flegacygt.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%2Fanother-bilstein-outback-story-200481.html&v=1&libId=7627d095-75f0-4613-a85d-1d918043e6d2&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.subaruoutback.org%2Fforums%2Fattachments%2Fwheels-tires-brakes-suspension%2F27168d1359521714-2005-2009-outback-suspension-faq-dscf3023.jpg&ref=http%3A%2F%2Flegacygt.com%2Fforums%2Fforumdisplay.php%2Fthird-generation-subaru-outback-2004-2009-39.html&title=Another%20Bilstein%20Outback%20story%20-%20Subaru%20Legacy%20Forums&txt=&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13675570155206

each little square is 1/2 inch. bottom bolt holes are lined up....Legacy Bilstein HD, and OB

• 3 years later...

Key questions:

I had looked into using the Koni inserts earlier. The primary issue I see is that Koni provides new struts for the rear, as opposed to inserts, so the overall strut length is comparable to the Legacy rather than the Outback. So if we make the assumption that the Koni insert would work correctly in the front we would still end up with the nose in the air and butt dragging on the ground.

I'm attempting to do this, FrankenKonis (using OB struts) in the front, koni shocks in the rear and make up the difference in the rear with a combination of an OB-length spring (king springs ksrs-29) and a top mount spacer. I'm going to get together a variety of thicknesses of spacer and bolts of different lengths because on shop day we're just going to have to experiment to get the right height, since all I can find on this so far is theory and speculation. :)

Hopefully this is helpful here. For reference, this is legacy Konis with stock outback springs. It's a tight fit to get them on the struts, but it works well. Doing the math, the car is lowered one inch (hub to fender) from stock.http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg503/WHG1635/Screen%20Shot%202016-11-10%20at%2011.05.28%20PM.png

I can barely clear stock 225/55/17 below the front lower spring perch, on 17x7 +48. Keep in mind this is with whiteline camber caster top hats which tips the strut inward away from the wheel. I'm about to try 17x7 +52, I'm thinking I might need a 5mm spacer.

The ride is excellent, adjustable from squishy comfy to rock hard, keep up with WRX handling. I am unsure whether the overcompressed outback springs are any stiffer than legacy springs would be, because of being pre-compressed. I guess that would depend on whether or not the stock springs are progressive rate.

I would presume that the Koni lengths would be comparable to the legacy KYB lengths.

Presume no more! I measured the Koni 8610 1447Sport myself and measurements for the Legacy and Outback KYB front struts come from shocks.com.

Koni insert compressed length: 15.5" (388mm)

Koni insert extended length: 21.75" (544mm)

Koni stroke: 6.25" (156mm)

KYB 339097 (Front Left, Legacy 2.5i through GT excl Spec.B)

compressed length: 13.97" (355mm)

extended length: 19.84" (504mm)

Legacy stroke: 5.87" (149mm)

KYB 339099 (Front Left, Outback 2.5i through XT)

compressed length: 15.15" (385mm)

extended length: 20.05" (509mm)

Outback stroke: 4.9" (124mm)

Well, my mind's blown.

Hopefully this is helpful here. For reference, this is legacy Konis with stock outback springs. It's a tight fit to get them on the struts, but it works well. Doing the math, the car is lowered one inch (hub to fender) from stock.http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg503/WHG1635/Screen%20Shot%202016-11-10%20at%2011.05.28%20PM.png

I can barely clear stock 225/55/17 below the front lower spring perch, on 17x7 +48. Keep in mind this is with whiteline camber caster top hats which tips the strut inward away from the wheel. I'm about to try 17x7 +52, I'm thinking I might need a 5mm spacer.

The ride is excellent, adjustable from squishy comfy to rock hard, keep up with WRX handling. I am unsure whether the overcompressed outback springs are any stiffer than legacy springs would be, because of being pre-compressed. I guess that would depend on whether or not the stock springs are progressive rate.

That is very helpful thank you. Dat ride height. :wub: A couple questions:

1) What did you use for donor struts - legacy or outback?

2) Any top mount spacers front or rear?

Yeah.... my mind is blown too...

Stock legacy has more travel than stock outback. And Koni has more travel than both.:eek: The next bit of info to get for each would be the distance from bottom spring perch to the extended length, to see how much space there is for springs.

When I jack up my car, I have significantly less droop than stock in back, but almost stock droop in front. I'll try to add the photo later

I have no top hat spacers, and my donors were cheap Legacy struts, Monroe or something.

Archived