LegacyGT.com

2006 Legacy with 102k miles. Too late for AP ?

enforcer

My 2006 Legacy GT has just clicked over 102k miles and she is still running smoothly. However, I rode in a 07 Legacy with the Cobb AP and it was a huge difference. The power wasn't peaky but buttery smooth. The dreaded "shuttering" so hated in the stock 2006 Legacy GT wasn't there as well. The car felt entirely different. Is it too late to install the Cobb AP in my car to fix the issues? Keep in mind that I will be replacing the clutch soon but I am more worried about the turbo/engine if the increased power will be too much for the old girl :) Thanks for any replies. I am NOT looking to go past the Cobb AP.

Never too late.

Stage 1 is a great $/hp/grins upgrade. If you're somewhat computer literate and have a laptop you can go Open Source with a custom tune for even more smiles/$'s. If not, check the classifieds for a used AP for the ultimate in plug-n-play.

You may want to consider a catless UP though as they have been known to fall apart and destroy turbos.

Cheers!

Never to late, unless the car is in the junk yard. I just went stg 2 this weekend. 243 whp and 285 ft-lb tq at 91k. An increase of 50whp and 85 ft-lb tq over stock.

Cars now will go 200-300,000+ miles with regular maintenance. Replace the clutch if it's going out before an AP. Otherwise it'll still feel the same as stock.

So AP, I assume you want just a reflash? Reflash, I didn't really feel any difference, maybe woke it up again to how it was when I bought it.

Now with my UP, DP, cbe and OST(Tuned). That I can feel the difference. Totally different car. Got to shift quicker and sooner and this is with the stock turbo and intercooler

The car has been well maintained. Just did timing belt, radiator flush, differential flush, water pump, thermostat, tensioners...etc. I came from a 2002 GTI 1.8T and when you chipped the car, the extra power really started to make things wear out much faster. I know the 2.5L engine is strong but I wanted to get a second opinion. Besides the clutch, is there anything else that will fail sooner with the added HP/TQ ?

Not sure if you want just a reflash(stg 1) or do the UP, DP,tune(stage 2).Stage 1 just the reflash, nothing to worry about. You'll be fine. Stage 2 up, dp, tune etc, shouldn't but can and does. Depends on how you drive it. Beat it everyday stop light to stop light, yes. Only get on it once in a while, you should be fine. Just save some $ on the side just in case though if you are going for stage 2. Maybe someone will more exp knowledge can tell you as I just went stg 2 a couple of days ago but this should be correct with the things they told me on here

• Mega Users

why dont you save your money on the AP, buy a used up/down and go e-tune? where are you from? I would lend you my tactrix or you could just get a VAGCOM from infamous along with an e-tune?

stage 2 going that route would cost you like $200 more

an AP just takes space up in your trunk over the years.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

I went Cobb AP stage 1 back on Dec 2004. Then a few years later, My Tuner put a smaller boost pill in and loaded his steet tune map in.

Then I went catless over 18 month's ago, new VF52 last Aug. See my sig.

Your close to the timing belt change too. Don't forget about that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Mega Users
I went Cobb AP stage 1 back on Dec 2004. Then a few years later, My Tuner put a smaller boost pill in and loaded his steet tune map in.

Then I went catless over 18 month's ago, new VF52 last Aug. See my sig.

Your close to the timing belt change too. Don't forget about that.

+1, that over everything.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Archived