LegacyGT.com

Subie Dumps Legacy Performance

Sales #s, Sales #s, Sales #s.

All there is to any of it. I have one of the VERY few non-Limited Red Sedans. In fact, the only other one I know of is Leo's. Furthermore, there are very vew non-Limited sedans around at all. I wanted it in Silver, and there were NONE in the tri-state area when I bought my car (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and also North Dakota - Fargo). So I figured I'd just stick with the Red since it was such a nice color ... definitely my second choice and now I'm not sure I'd go silver anyway. But the point is, out of about 15-20 dealers, there was only 1 Red sedan with cloth, and NO silver (I looked myself, they weren't BSing me as the dealer that let me see what was out there didn't have EITHER of the colors, so they were just showing me what was out there and where they would have to get it from).

The non-limited is just a slow seller. Price was a slight issue for me, but above all, I just don't like leather much, and Subaru has some really nice cloth!

When it comes to the wagon, same story. I don't ever remember selling ANY MT Wagons when I was selling Subies. As others have pointed out, we're all enthusiasts on this board, so our opinion is skewed.

But I'll also point out that we're right and the rest of the sheep are wrong! :p

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can tell you guys first-hand that the 06 Legacy Wagon will not have a stick
:eek: Man, that just sucks! I can't believe they would eliminate the 5MT option from the Legacy GT Wagon! The 5MT option is the EXACT reason I bought one. If I had to get an automatic I am not sure that I would have bought a Legacy at all.

I am SO glad that I went ahead and bought my RBP Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5MT a few weeks ago. I didn't know it was an endangered species at the time. The book/resale value may or may not go up as a result, but I sure know its value just increased to me.

AFK, going to hug my wonderful wagon...

Martyr

you cant really cut into your own market.. cutting down wrx sales by putting them into a more expensive car isnt cutting your market. you are still selling them a subaru, only now you are making more money. there is no loss here.

as for the wagon, they werent selling very many MT wagons.. most station wagon owners get them for utility, not performance. why they are dropping a regular GT sedan is the only question. sales were decent on those. maybe they didnt want 3 different legacy models.. since the "limited" will be joined by the "spec-b" or whatever it will be called with the extremely ugly red leather interior..etc.

-Tronix(StX)Gt

for more pics and info... http://angevine.org/legacy/legacy.html

Damn, glad I got my unLimited Sedan. I went in looking at the WRX because I wanted an AWD turbo car from a proven rally manufacturer. Audi was way overpriced for the quality, I never considered Mitsubishi, I hate the rep/boy racer market of the Evo, Citroen doesn't sell here and I didn't want to die in a Lancia Stratos :D

I have been a long time Subie fan in both real world car production and the WRC.

The WRX maintains a boy racer image but it can be somewhat stripped by not getting all the wings and crazy stuff. I also am peeved that the cars rep is now reflected on insurance premiums. Either way, I wanted one badly, but didn't know too much about the Legacy, until I was referred to look at it when talking about the issues suggested above with the salesman.

I was sold with the LGT.

It is refined, has exceptional construction with a powerful motor and MT, AWD and most of all, the sedans are very uncommon up here in Mass-hole land, let alone the rest of the US auto world. It is tunable and has a much more grown up enthusiast market than Honda/Nissan (now VW to a certain extent). I didn't really care for a sun roof or leather, I had leather in my previous ride and got to hate it after scorching my legs one too many times. The LGT met all my needs and I f&^king love it. Beautiful, powerful, unique.

Hate to be reading all this and now I am definately considering buying my car after the lease is up if this doesn't change. Does any of this also have to do with the new options that the WRX will be available with, ie Sun roof and leather? From talking to the dealer on numerous occasions (he went from WRX to LGT), it seems like both cars are pretty set in their markets. I just didn't know I was a dying breed at this young of age.

To me there is no real comparison, its like shopping for a car as a 18 y/o versus shopping for a car as a 28 y/o.

I guess we are just the few enthusiasts...

This is to bad for people who were looking to legacy as there next trade in/up, but I like the idea that our 05' MT LGT wagons will be a "special" breed!

John D.

It might very well be that for now Subaru doesn't have a choice. If the sales of the WRX are pulling transmissions out of the same pool as the LGT and you can only make so many of said transmission..... I KNOW its not because they are dissapointed in MT LGT wagon sales.

My guess is that at a minimum SOA has too much going on right now to stay 100% on the ball if they kept all the trim lines of the LGT with the launch of the new Impreza and Tribeca right now. So you pull back a few of the lower selling models of the LGT to free up resources to make the others work. This can be anything from the people putting together dealer propoganda to actual car parts like transmissions that need to be retrieved from the car models no longer sold.

I just picked up a used 5 speed LGT wagon in white for 20,500. It had 12,000 miles and was almost perfect. The ironic part is that it fell into my lap about two days after I found the first forum about no manual tranny in '06. This this is light years ahead of my WRX in refinement.

Ryan

It might very well be that for now Subaru doesn't have a choice. If the sales of the WRX are pulling transmissions out of the same pool as the LGT and you can only make so many of said transmission..... I KNOW its not because they are dissapointed in MT LGT wagon sales.

My guess is that at a minimum SOA has too much going on right now to stay 100% on the ball if they kept all the trim lines of the LGT with the launch of the new Impreza and Tribeca right now. So you pull back a few of the lower selling models of the LGT to free up resources to make the others work. This can be anything from the people putting together dealer propoganda to actual car parts like transmissions that need to be retrieved from the car models no longer sold.

Considering that the Imprezas, WRXs, STIs and Foresters are still built in Japan, as are the transmissions for all Subarus, and you can extend that just-in-time manufacturing process only so far before you have to make critical planning decisions. You are probably more close to the fact than you know.

Either way, SOA has got to get some 5MTs available for the LGT Wagon - they have to if they want to maintain their market dominance in the sport wagon segment. My guess is that they haven't made a strategic decision to cease all LGTW MT production, just a hiatus from it to gain supply and gauge owner/buyer interest in the lost option.

The other option might be that they truly are planning a limited production 6MT Spec B Wagon (or some 6MT variant) and will only put the MTs into that model. Pure speculation on my part but that could be one scenario/option that they're keeping open.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

My guess is that the tooling for the pull style 5spd turbo transmissions is the current limiting factor in thier production. Currently the WRX uses the older(est) turbo transmission tooling and when it switches to the new pull style it will put a HUGE hurt on subaru's ablity to make them. If the FXT has also switched... Ouch.

That said I would not be suprised if in the near future subaru opens a engine/transmission area in the SIA plant. Given the ammount of cars sold in america, the massive ammount of capacity left in the plant, and the moderately unique US lines....

.... This this is light years ahead of my WRX in refinement.

Ryan

I agree with this statement except I much prefer the WRX seat. However the GT falls feels bloated and heavy around corners compared to our WRX. I love having both, GT for long comfy trips and WRX for around the town (ie twisty's).

My guess is that the tooling for the pull style 5spd turbo transmissions is the current limiting factor in thier production. Currently the WRX uses the older(est) turbo transmission tooling and when it switches to the new pull style it will put a HUGE hurt on subaru's ablity to make them. If the FXT has also switched... Ouch.

That said I would not be suprised if in the near future subaru opens a engine/transmission area in the SIA plant. Given the ammount of cars sold in america, the massive ammount of capacity left in the plant, and the moderately unique US lines....

IIRC Subaru already has a massive engine build plant at or near the SIA plant for the 2.5L engine. Not sure if the turbo motors are built there too... would make sense so they can keep the supply channel close to the assembly process, especially in support of the Legacy line.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I sure hope you guys are right about the dropping of MT for LegGT wagons is a supply schedule issue and that we may see future MT LegGTs. I will buy a second Subaru LegGT wagon and pay $5-$6k more for a serously upgraded LegGT super sport wagon with MT.

This definitely sucks. My lease runs out in 07 so unless Subie has a manual in wagon form I'll be going elsewhere. Perhaps back to WRX but that is very unlikely. Actually this might be good thing - time for change (many other cars to consider...).

Archived