LegacyGT.com

ER HC Code on Odometer

The only time I have seen my temp gauge spike and the ErHc code come up is when I am flashing the ECU. Were you messing with the ECU before this happened?

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/2E0E27FE-012A-48B5-8CA2-5A139D507603_zpsi6fskbtw.jpg~original

Big connection spoke of removed with engine pull. trip button presed resets the er hc for a few seconds. When battery dropped to 50% from listening to the radio & subs, the erhc would leave and the coolant needle would fall.

The only time I have seen my temp gauge spike and the ErHc code come up is when I am flashing the ECU. Were you messing with the ECU before this happened?

No I wasn't, I got a car wash and drove about 3 miles to the dmv left there and drove straight home the car just turned off as soon as I got on my street..

Did you check the large wire harness under the hood by the passenger firewall area? Or the green connectors in the pass. foot well, under the carpet ? What where you doing before it did this ?

How do I get to those green connectors? Are you talking about the one green connector under the passenger dash??

How are your chassis grounds? There are 2 underneath and 2 more on a bracket on the back of the driver side tgv housing. Those can cause this err hc sypmtom. Other things to check as mentioned in the post is the wiring harness connector by the passenger shock, and all battery connections/leads

Can you tell me where all the grounds are so I can check them please

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Under the engine on each side of the heads there should be one. Then there's metal bracket attached to the tgvs. It's in the drivers corner of the engine bay below the BPV. If these get corroded it could be bad news. I had err hc for 2 days after a rebuild cuz one was loose and I didn't think to check there.

The 2 pics are of the bracket. One is just farther out for reference.

1777120019_2015-12-1116_19_02.thumb.jpg.dceec72fe0d2d995cf5644a09fa35ab6.jpg

1536366706_2015-12-1116_21_28.thumb.jpg.9a943a6007dc7e65e626ab0eaa530116.jpg

I know the ground that I pictured will cause a no-crank no-start condition if it's failing for any reason. ERR HC means the ecu is not communicating with the engine sensors. It can be a battery/grounding issue, something with the main harness, or in the worst cases a bricked ecu. I sincerely hope it's not the latter.

• 2 weeks later...
Are you telling me you paid $500+ dollars for them to find and replace a blown fuse?

Yup... That's bullshit huh! That's why I'm doing the work myself now. Same thing is happening again but I'm not gunna take it to them because I'm sure I can find the problem my self. I just thought these type of cars need professional work done but really it's just the same as my 97 legacy gt. I have another thread in my problem now :/ it's called knocking and shaking. Happend 2 days after I got it from them

Yup... That's bullshit huh! That's why I'm doing the work myself now. Same thing is happening again but I'm not gunna take it to them because I'm sure I can find the problem my self. I just thought these type of cars need professional work done but really it's just the same as my 97 legacy gt. I have another thread in my problem now :/ it's called knocking and shaking. Happend 2 days after I got it from them

Do you know which fuse blew?

My car's dead (again) because of the ER HC code.

Have you checked for vacuum/boost leaks? If your idle is really funky it could just be a big leak somewhere. Your motor may not be knocking, the sensor could just be reporting false knocks from your car lurching and jerking (if it's that bad). If you need ideas on things to try check out my misfire thread in my signature. My root problem ended up being a cracked piston, but I've tried many things to try to fix my rough idle/misfire.

Do you have a way to log/tune?

If you have an Android device I highly recommend getting BtSSm. It's awesome for logging and monitoring everything going on with your motor.

• 1 year later...

Archived