LegacyGT.com

Wiring Question

So I'm going to be wiring up some toggle switches in my car, but I'm trying to simplify the wiring as much as possible, and I've got a question.

I have four on/off illuminated toggles in a bank. They are all identical and have three connections each, one for +, one for -, and one for + for the LED. I don't want to be running 12 wires through my firewall. Considering that the whole point of a switch is to be a low power draw device used to activate a relay, I'm thinking I can probably combine some of these connections without wires catching fire. I was curious what you guys thought about just using one 14 gauge wire running from the battery to the bank of switches and then splitting that into 8 leads running to all 4 + inputs and all 4 + inputs for the LED. Then I can just have my 4 ground wires going out to the various relays in the vehicle.

I don't see why this would be a problem, since you really don't need much current at all when you are simply activating a relay, but it cuts the number of wires running to the bank from 12 down to 5, so I think it's a good idea.

Thoughts?

What are the 4 devices you need to run? Will they be ignition controlled or constant +12V? If it is a 3 pronged switch with an led light then the ground is an input for the led only, it's the +12v that is controlled by the switch. 1 in, common to the led and switch, and 1 out to the device. You will not have the 4 seperate grounds going out to your relays wired as you say, (doesn't really matter anyway if you are using relays) unless you reverse where you hook up the +/- input for the switch. You may then have a problem with the led lighting at all if wired for it to act on the negative pole. The led (being a polarized diode and not a bulb) may only light when wired the first way. Let me know what your are trying to accomplish
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

• I Donated

Running 1 power wire through the firewall and splitting it into multiple wires inside the cab shouldn't be a problem as long as you're using quality wire in the proper gauge.

As far as what gauge wire to use, it really depends on what you're trying to power.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived