LegacyGT.com

Does an up-pipe require a tune?

ssbtech

I have to take the car to the dealer and have them diagnose a sulphur like smell. I have a feeling it is the cat in the up pipe (2005 model).

If it is, I'll probably have them stick in the up-pipe from the STi or the 2007+ LGT since they're catless.

I know the turbos are different on those cars, will there be any fitment issues?

Also, does a catless up-pipe require anything different tune-wise? Running a COBB stage 1 tune at the moment, have no plans or desire for a stage 2 tune.

Thanks.

I don't think a failing cat creates a sulfur smell. The sulfur smell is from a cat unable to process the exhaust, which is essentially like not having a cat at all, which is what you're going to do when you go catless. You're not smelling the cat - you're smelling exhaust. Removing the cat is like having a dead cat.

Whatever the smell is, it's not the sign of a failing UP cat and it won't go away when you remove it.

My 2 cents.

Ok, good point, thanks iNVAR.

The smell has slowly been getting worse and worse. 30mph up a hill in town will get stinky. Why would I be smelling the sulphur but not the typical "exhaust smell"? You saw the LV, if anything it was running a bit lean.

So I dropped by the dealer yesterday and took the mechanic for a drive. 70+mph on the freeway, up a hill and do you think it would even produce a hint of odor? Not at all.

He pulled it into the garage, checked the O2 sensors and they were fine.

(So sometimes when the mechanic says they can't reproduce the problem, they're not lying... ;))

Archived