LegacyGT.com

WOT logging issues

Strizzy

Started playing with the port connection...something is def wrong with mine. When I wiggle the port connection just a little bit I lose connection. And what is really weird is my knock sum increments when it reconnects.

So I let the car idle in my garage knock sum held steady at 1. I wiggled the connector, lost connection for a few seconds and then it reconnects, Knock sum jumped to 4. I let the car idle a few more minutes...KS held at 4. I repeat the wiggle and reconnect, KS increments to 6. I repeated this 4 more times KS climbed into the 20s. As a final test I let the car idle for 10 minutes with RR connected and did not wiggle anything...KS did not increment at all.

Just picked up a 2.0 tactrix cable to see if it is a cable issue or my port.

When I switched from the VAGCOM to the OP2.0, my logging issues(cutting out, randomly stopping) stopped completely. However, I did reinstall romraider, ecuflash and got a new battery in between so I have no idea what fixed it but it logs so nicely now.

I got around to making my "grounding kit" yesterday, along with cleaning up existing grounds. I also installed a fresh battery. I was pretty skeptical the "grounding kit" would do much, if anything. But after I started the car, I couldn't believe it was running because it idled too smoothly. It just didn't seem "right." But the new grounds definitely helped in that aspect. I didn't get a chance to try a WOT log, though. I need to replace my oil pressure sensor that I accidentally broke and now sprays oil everywhere with the car running.

Side note:

Shamar (Infamous1) runs into these same issues with customers' cars every so often. He has/made a "tool" that filters out the unwanted electrical "noise" and makes a clean log.

That will be my next step if my new grounds/battery don't work.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried another round of tuning today, as I finally found my laptop charger and charged it over night. First run seemed promising. So I plugged in my WBO2, went to my favorite street and ~4500RPMs in, it cut out again :mad::spin::mad:

I have one more thing I can try, and if that doesn't work, I'm going to go with a standalone ECU (AEM or ViPEC).

Some things I noticed when it cuts out:

It's not load dependent

It's not related to any certain RPM range

It doesn't matter how fast I'm going

Happens even if I gently roll into WOT

AC on or off

Radio on or off

HID headlights on or off

It's pretty much whenever it feels like it

Out of a billion pulls, I'll probably get 1 almost full log

Once, it cut out then came back 2000RPMs later

Fixed the problem today, it was the prongs in the tactrix cable connector. I bent each of them very slightly so it makes a tighter connection when plugged in.

No more cut off and no more random Knock sum increments at idle. :cool:

Recognizing that may problem may have been a different issue than the others..

Did you try this? literally took 2 minutes and totally solved my cut out issue...I have not lost connection since.

I was having this problem as well and I recently spent time streamlining my computer disabling many unneeded services using Black Viper's website as a guide. I haven't had any problems since.

Romraider has a topic on this:

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5524&start=15

Carbibbles wrote:

I just had an off the wall thought on this issue. I believe the alternator is shut off at wot. I wonder if battery volts drop so low that the ecu terminates the ssm communications. This could happen if somebody had a weak battery. Does the problem get worse at night with the headlights on? Maybe log battery voltage and go wot

• Mega Users

Thanks for that.

Forgot to mention this here. I cleaned off the contacts and bent the pins in to make better contact, but I still had it cut out. This time at 3k rpm, 4th gear, 60% throttle, around 13psi. It's usually wot or close to it when it cuts out. The car did sit for a couple days and turned over slower than normal when starting.

Romraider has a topic on this:

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5524&start=15

Carbibbles wrote:

I just had an off the wall thought on this issue. I believe the alternator is shut off at wot. I wonder if battery volts drop so low that the ecu terminates the ssm communications. This could happen if somebody had a weak battery. Does the problem get worse at night with the headlights on? Maybe log battery voltage and go wot

That's an interesting theory... Do we know for a fact that the alternator cuts off or we only think that? If it's a fact, then someone should have RR log battery voltage and watch what happens when it loses communicates... see if it drops the voltage right before it happens.

I've been running into the same issues, frustrating as hell. Told Shamar about it and he sent me a link where impreza guys were using 3 of the snap together ferrite chokes behind the OBDII port. I know the chokes have been mentioned but maybe the use of mutiple ones is the fix.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103222

Ran to radio shack and they only had 2 but so far with running just the 2 it made a huge difference. Yesterday I was actually able to log WOT runs all the way to 6.5k when before it would always freeze around 3-5k. A couple runs it did have a hiccup in 5+K rpm's where it would have a hole where it didn't record. Before the chokes when that happened RR would just feeze completely and I would have to restart it. Maybe a third ferrite choke will fix that problem.

Recently I was driving with the openport plugged directly into the obd2 port (standalone logging) and the car threw a CEL P0600. Serial communication link failure... I checked the log files on the sd card and they started and stopped randomly. The problem was the openport connection.

I usually tend to use an obd2 extension cable that I bought from the tactrix website. It has very snug connectors. To the point where you need to gently rock the connectors into place. If I use that cable I do not experience connection issues.

Tactrix supplied the device with a cheap usb cable, and I have never had any issues with the provided cable. Since I have similar issues without even using the usb functions of my tactrix device I tend to think these are connection issues between the cable and the ecu.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Since I forgot to update this thread with my results, I'll post them now.

I fixed my issues. Ended up replacing the ECU and everything suddenly started working perfectly.

Before swapping the ECU, I added a .01μF ceramic capacitor between the wires for pin5 & pin7 of the OBD plug, and that helped a decent amount to the point I was able to log a full pull on the first run after plugging the Tactrix into the OBD and laptop.

But after replacing the ECU, I can log as much as I want.

Archived