LegacyGT.com

Which EL header is best?

Zac88

ok, then you should....but, I wouldnt. why? I can get legit parts that are warrantied and supported by known vendors,enthusiasts, and built by established aftermarket companies. There are COUNTLESS threads detailing aftermarket headers. When(not if) your knockoffs crack you will be out $xxx plus a replacement set/downtime/labor(a shop or your own)

Do it once. Do it right. Buy American.

or put cheap knockoff shit on your ride, this big rock will keep spinning either way.

It's a real shame you have such a biased opinion and come across quite ignorant. Nuff said.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will say this, I bought an uelh header off ebay and the bends are way off. The studs are in the ports, not anywhere close to lining up. Now the seller wont either send me a new one or a refund. Don't buy it off ebay. Jmo.

I was just wondering if there was a certain ebay brand that was an exact replica. Coming from the NA crowd a few years back we all used ebay UEL headers with little to no problems.

$300 wont make or break my ride its just I have a hard time spending $800 on a header since its not going to give me super twin-scroll spool up

I recently put a set of cheap cheap headers with a built in up pipe on a friends LGT. Let's just say that was a hassle. Nothing lined up all that well. On the other side of the fence, my Tomei headers and up pipe went straight on with no issues. Guess you get what you pay for.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

What setup do your currently have to want to change out your headers? I'm my recent research in the rebuild I have been doing seems like aftermarket elh are not needed until your looking for over 400bhp. Fitting them below this power level might actually loose you spool etc. I was gong to go Tomei elh twinscroll headers on my build with vf36 but no need for them yet and no benefit.

Kando Headers are the only eBay headers I know of that are good quality.

In my experience not much items of quality come out if Taiwan. Made in Japan ftw!

What setup do your currently have to want to change out your headers? I'm my recent research in the rebuild I have been doing seems like aftermarket elh are not needed until your looking for over 400bhp. Fitting them below this power level might actually loose you spool etc. I was gong to go Tomei elh twinscroll headers on my build with vf36 but no need for them yet and no benefit.

Kando Headers are the only eBay headers I know of that are good quality.

In my experience not much items of quality come out if Taiwan. Made in Japan ftw!

I'm looking for faster spool up, also picked up a used VF46 that I will be porting.

You think EL headers will actually make me spool slower??

I'm looking for faster spool up, also picked up a used VF46 that I will be porting.

You think EL headers will actually make me spool slower??

well going from UELH to ELH you should gain some spool, but going from ELH to larger ELH, you may loose spool but get gains in mid/high ranges

Those ebay headers look terrible. Doesn't necessarily mean they are but the extra bends in them seem like they wouldn't help the flow too much. They almost look opposing cylinders are going to push exhaust into the other cylinder. (Link below). There is another set on there that looks better but They still look a bit sketchy to me. GTSpec gets my vote for price and warranty. Perrin is a close second. The downfall with the GTSpec is you are limited to the 3 bolt up pipe as well, which can be considered a good thing as well. I haven't had my 2 bolt up leak yet but that doesn't mean it won't. I looked at agency power before as well but after dealing with them on other things I wouldn't wish their stuff on anybody.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-STi-RA-TURBO-STAINLESS-STEEL-HEADERS-MANIFOLD-EQUAL-LENGTH-/130649522037?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e6b517f75

Its not the runners. Its the metal. Cast is thick. Gets hot and stays hot. Keeps heat in. Hot air moves faster. Pressure/temperature relationship. S/S headers do not hold the heat as well. It escapes and the air slows. Hence, coating and or wrapping to keep more heat in.

The downfall with the GTSpec is you are limited to the 3 bolt up pipe as well, which can be considered a good thing as well. I haven't had my 2 bolt up leak yet but that doesn't mean it won't.

The GTSPEC 3 flange up means it pretty much won't and the up has areally nice velocity stack too!:wub: I'll try to find the pics.

Go with one of these:

http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/_2003web-catalogue/000_expreme/each-product/gc8-gdb_exhaust-manifold_en.php#equal

http://www.tomiokaracing.com/index.php/products/exhaust/equal-length-exhaust-manifold-w-up-pipe-for-subaru.html

http://gtspec.com/product/gtspec-gen-iii-equal-length-exhaust-manifold-ej20-ej257

Each of those are identical in every way, except a different name on the box, and the GTSPEC doesn't come with heat wrap. Get the GTSPEC and get you own heat wrap, as I'm not impressed with what came with my Tomei EL headers (same exact wrap comes with the TR headers).

Archived