LegacyGT.com

Anti-theft screws for licence plate?

ssbtech

I've been looking online but don't really see anything that will fit the bill. I'm looking for some security screws for my licence plates that are not the standard "security screws" that anyone with a $10 bit set from Deal Extreme can remove.

Preferably something "keyed" like wheel nuts. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Anything you use can be overcome with a $10 pair of vice-grips you can buy at any hardware store.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Anything you use can be overcome with a $10 pair of vice-grips you can buy at any hardware store.

This. It's only plastic holding in those screws. You can yank the plates out with your bare hands if you wanted to.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

I realize short of welding the plate to the trunk it can be removed.

A security screw would simply make it harder for someone to turn my limited edition licence plate into their limited edition plate.

They won't be able to do anything with the plate, but if one is stolen then I can't get another one of those plates to replace it with and I'll be back to using the standard plates.

I've already been through all of this in my mind, all I want are some damn security screws for the plate. :spin:

These don't look too bad, but even they're not tapered very well to prevent the vice-grip attack, nor does the "key" pattern appear to prevent someone from simply using a slotted screwdriver to turn them.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-91614742496912_2156_11358358

• 2 weeks later...
People steal plates for the registration stickers (more likely to happen in states where the annual registration is expensive).

Thank god I live in Texas where we have to put our registration stickers on the inside of our front windshields. Lol i remember when I used to live in SoCal and my parents had their plates stolen. We found them around the corner with the registration sticker torn off. They literaly cut the plate. I was 7, man people will steal anything

I have a vehicle registered in Texas, and someone actually stole my front plate while I was driving through Utah. I have no clue why.

So you didn't see them hanging on the front of your car while you were driving? Must have been nighttime.

It is still ugly.

Archived