LegacyGT.com

NEED a valet map NOW

Just got my car back from the alignment shop. As many of you know I have a dashcam in my car.

The tech who took it on a test drive went to a private road near a parking lot, stopped at a stop sign then floored it up to redline in 1st gear, tried to powershift into 2nd but got the gear lever jammed (has happened to me before, so I don't powershift!). Revved the engine a few times trying to get the lever out of beign jammed in 2nd (probably jammed between 2nd and 4th with both detent balls half-stuck in place). Then continued to drive it like he stole it before going back to the shop.

So, all in all not the worst thing that could happen, like the last time. But now I'm conviced that these teenagers working at auto shops can't be trusted with even a halfway decent car.

I called it in to the manager and said I wasn't making an official complaint, but wanted him to let the tech know that hew can't drive customer's cars like that. At first he was understandibly unwilling to chew out an employee based upon my word alone, but letting him know I have a dashcam changed the tone of the conversation a little. Nobody's getting fired or beaten up, just a quick word in his ear to keep him honest.

Going on youtube tonight. Stand by.

I'm amazed he didn't see the two coke-can sized cameras behind the rear-view mirror, or the sign on the mirror that says; "This car is subject to constant audio/video monitoring inside and out"

I have the VAG-com cable. Gonna need advice on setting up a valet mode for this kind of thing. I notice that when I warn the service advisor of the cameras, they don't hoon around in the car. And I had GPS tracking as a sepearte hidden unit so I can tell if they disable the cameras and THEN go all Ferris Bueller on me.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i37sbNBiFac]Shop tech rags on my car, again - YouTube[/ame]

• Mega Users

So...you have constant video surveillance and gps tracking...paranoid much? :lol:

Do you already have a tune? It would be pretty easy to cut boost to spring pressure by zeroing out the wastegate tables. You could also move the rev limiter to 5k or so.

You'd have to flash the new map over with a laptop unless you get an accessport though.

It's not paranoid when it has already come in handy. This is the third time that I'm aware of that his setup has come in handy; two from idiot techs.

So...you have constant video surveillance and gps tracking...paranoid much? :lol:

5k is still too high. I had mine set at 3.5.

Don't tell them you did it and watch them freak out when it bounces off of a 5k rev limiter.

It gets better. They messed up the alignment - said that camber was not adjustable. We argued over whether the top knuckle-to-strut bolt was eccentric or not - finally I convinced them it was and they agreed to take it back in tomorrow. I got the impression they were arguing that they had checked the bolt and found it to be perfectly round.

I know they didn't touch that bolt because I put a dab of elmer's glue between the nut and strut. (dries clear, almost invisible) I usually do this so I can tell if something starts to back off, but in this case it came in handy to tell that the nut hadn't moved.

It gets better. They messed up the alignment - said that camber was not adjustable. We argued over whether the top knuckle-to-strut bolt was eccentric or not - finally I convinced them it was and they agreed to take it back in tomorrow. I got the impression they were arguing that they had checked the bolt and found it to be perfectly round.

I know they didn't touch that bolt because I put a dab of elmer's glue between the nut and strut. (dries clear, almost invisible) I usually do this so I can tell if something starts to back off, but in this case it came in handy to tell that the nut hadn't moved.

But was the camber off? It could be that it was fine and did not need adjustment therefore your glue mark would not be disturbed.

In any case, sounds like you need to find a different mechanic!

apparently there is a valet mode on the car, in the owners manual they speek of a valet key, i don't if its simply does not open the trunk and glove box, or enables a slow ass mode.

i have herd of some other cars have 30 mph limit and 3000 rpm limit and 2 mile range on valet mode.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

But was the camber off? It could be that it was fine and did not need adjustment therefore your glue mark would not be disturbed.

In any case, sounds like you need to find a different mechanic!

The camber was off by a couple of degrees, but they said it "wasn't far enough off to justify the cost of special camber plates".

"The bolt is round from the factory and the camber is non-adjustable."

Took it back to the shop today for them to do the alignment right - they said the camber was out but is non-adjustable. We all know the camber IS adjustable because the top knuckle-to-strut bolt is an eccentric bolt.

The manger was not convinced, and even when I told him I had everything apart this weekend and I know the top bolt is eccentric he wasn't sure. "I guess we'll have to order some shims..."

"No shims! Loosen the nut, turn the bolt until the camber is correct then tighten the nut down again, holding the bolt in that new position!"

"Well, we'll have to take a look at it to see..."

So what now? I've already paid. I say if they don't get it right this time I get my money back (either from them or from mastercard) and take it to Subaru for the alignment.

Archived