LegacyGT.com

Timing belt direction

AFAIK every car in the world only turns in one direction.IE clockwise when facing it.

The direction of the T belt is irrelevant, if you use the tooth count to set the belt.

O.

or toward the rear in a gst's case. but the question was still never answered, are the belts designed to spin a certain direction or are the arrows just there so that if you have to remove the timing belt for anyreason you can install it the same direction? if so my friend will just always install his backwards right.

The markings on a belt are designed so that you can line them up for timing purposes, as few if any are symmetrical.

The belt itself doesn't care.

Hope this answers your question.

O.

if all the belts come with arrows then i would assume that direction does matter. belts with out timing marks have no reason for arrows except for direction of rotation.

what engine, year, ??

you can probably swap it around in a couple of hours and then you do not have to worry about it any more.

What everybody seems to be missing is this.

The markings of any type are put on after manufacture.

In the case of Subu 2.2 belts, there are three. One at the crank sprocket and one each at the timing cover on driver side and the seam of the head and block on the passenger side.

As such, when the arrow is facing to the right, the corresponding marks line up, since the marks are not the same distance from the center.

The driver side is 40.5 teeth from the crank mark and the pass. is 44.

If there were no markings, how do you put on the belt?, by counting teeth.

If there was a faint arrow for rotation left on the belt,would it make a difference which way it was facing as long as the teeth count from center to the other marks were correct?

I think not.

O.

its not a subie. it has no marks. just a arrow! idk how many time i have to say that.

its a 1997 gst 2.0 turbo

you know how tires are designed to rotate one direct for best traction. are belt designed to spin a certain direction to? i dont give a shit about the alignment marks or teeth count. this belt didnt even have those marks. just a arrow.

• I Donated

Or ask on a Mitsubishi forum?

Most belts DO have timing marks regardless if what engine they are for.

But the belt is likely fine how it is as long as the tooth count is right

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Ok perfect. and i would post on dsm talk but i like you guys. my friend is still getting used to the whole posting thing. its funny really, the difference in knowledge one has between posters and non posters. he just reads. thanks, we were thinking it was fine but i just wanted to make sure no one had any serious reason or any problems running belts backwards rotation wise. and yes timing was spot on. double check. car is running great. She spools much faster with that rebuilt 14b

AFAIK - there isn't a timing belt in the world that has directional teeth. I've used MANY different varieties of timing belts in other designs as an engineer - I've never seen one that was directional. Certainly at least - ours is symmetric. As far as the belt itself - tension is tension - it doesn't matter which end is action/reaction.

As long as the cams are in the right place, you're good. The only reason for markings is to help align the cams (which requires a directional reference).

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Archived