LegacyGT.com

1st Time AP user, what OTS map to use?

BlueRooGT

Hey guys, just received my AP from M sprank (Thank you!) and was looking at the OTS maps and none seem to be compatible with an aftermarket intake. Here's the rut i'm in. Bought my 05 5MT GT used and it came with a Cobb intake installed so I do not have the OEM intake currently. Current mods are Grimmspeed Catless UP (w/ flex joint), Invidia Catless DP w/ divorced wastegate, Stock catback, and then the Cobb intake. I use 91 octane in Colorado (at high altitude)

Went to Cobb's website and found a map that says works with a Cobb intake but I have no idea if it's the right map for my car or not. I looked at the map notes and it looks like my current mods are closest to the mods listed on that map but i'd like to get some supplementary opinions from some people who know this stuff better than I.

Quick link to the map specs:

http://accessecu.com/accessport/subaru/lgt/LGT-Maps-05-Stock-Intake.html

The map that's named STU MT -SCCA STU Legal Map is the one i'm looking at. Someone want to tell me what that map was made for and whether or not I should use it? If not, which OTS map should I use till I get a custom tune? Any feedback helps. Thanks!

I'd believe with your catless up and down-pipes and such you would be Stage2 91 Octane. You can load several of the maps on your AP but you need to make some logs and join the forum at http://www.cobbforums.com where someone with knowledge will guide you through. With all your mods I'd start looking for a custom tuner. Up here I ran 91/92 octane Shell or Chevron gas but had a bit of a knock problem. Had to switch to a non-ethenol gas. Not many in your state but maybe you will find and add some more!

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CO

Thanks for the reply Pastor. I thought the same way, but all the map notes seem to stress (in capitals letters even) that in order to use them you need to be using the stock airbox. I was just curious if anyone knew what that STU map was about and if it would be beneficial to use if using the stock airbox wasn't an option.

I haven't gotten into the Data logging yet, nor have I learned all the diagnostic techniques but i'll probably put some time in this weekend to learn some of the more helpful tools on the AP.

With the DP, you MUST have a Stage 2 type of map. Use the Stage2 map, that's the best for you, until you're able to adjust your tune by either going to a custom tuner, or learning how to rescale your MAF sensor.

The problem with using an aftermarket intake is that they almost always have a tendency to lean out your mixture, which can cause detonation.

First off nice to see another local lgt owner on the forums, make sure and check out the mountain west forum.

As stated above with any aftermarket downpipe you should be looking at the stage 2 maps. The stu map is actually designed for autocross if im not mistaken, you want the standard stage 2 map for your year,make,model.

Even though cobbs maps are conservative they do not take into account the difference in maf tube size with an aftermarket intake unless they specifically state so. Keep in mind ALL the tables in the ecu reference maf voltage and injector scaling to calculate proper load values so a error in maf voltage throws everything else off. Best bet is to go with a custom tune to calibrate for the intake as well as benefit from a custom tune vs OTS map OR replace the intake with the stock counterpart and decide if a custom tune is even needed for your tastes. Either way you have a bunch of options for tuning here in Colorado.

Edit: also there are really NO gains to be had with a non stock intake at your power level and just makes noise. Just wanted to add that.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

If I owned a stock airbox I'd use it. I've heard of a guy in Loveland that tuned my friends r33 gtr so I may go to him for the custom dyno tune after I grab a catback. He's apparently also tuned another friend of mine who owns a lgt so I figure since he's close and has good reviews from my buds I'd give him a try.

Whereabouts in Colorado do you reside Cryo?

I am down in the Arvada area. If anything cruise the for sale forums. I want to say a member named Putnam here in co just had his airbox up for sale so you see them every once in a while from people who upgraded turbos. Hope that helps.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

The STg2 map will work. You can always log the vital engine parameters to be sure your car is running safely as well. You will want to keep the logged parameters as short as possible so you get a higher sample rate, and subsequently more useable data. This is a trimmed down list to help you get started.

RPM

Boost

AF Correction 1

AF Learning 1

WGDC

INJ DC

Feedback Knock

Fine Learning Knock

MAF V

Ign Timing

Dynam Advance

Here's the link to his for sale thread, looks like its still available. Hope this helps.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-co-stock-intake-w-k-n-filter-177157.html?p=3727612

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

^+1. I would just throw a stock airbox back on and sell the Cobb on the forums. U don't need to upgrade the intake unless ur going north of say 300hp. With a custom tune u would maybe see 2-4 more hp. If u run an ots stage2 map with the Cobb on it would just run lean, not gonna hurt anything over the short term but could create some knock so I wouldn't floor it, and that's the whole point of all this, right?

With a custom tune u would maybe see 2-4 more hp.

I don't nessasarily agree with that. Most cars benefit by upgrading from an ots map to a custom tune but that's just my opinion. My. 02

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think he meant that with a custom tune, he'd see 2-4 more hp that would result from the intake. Obviously the custom tune would yield more than just a 2-4 hp increase, but the intake itself wouldn't responsible for more than about 2-4.

• 4 months later...

Cobb did release some SF Intake maps recently as OTS options. I still believe your best bet is to stay stock on intake unless your pushing serious HP or go FMIC and at that point you'll be on a custom tune anyhow.

I'm open source but know I saw a post from Cobb talking about their SF intake maps.

Archived