LegacyGT.com

Home improvement photos

CapnJack

and just to circle back around on the deck refinishing. pic of during pressurewashing, first coat, and a full deck after first coat (of two coats). haven't finished the railing paint yet, probably cause we wanted to use the deck again, but that only requires the deck surface to be completed... ;)

also, hilarious how everything looks so much better in pictures. like 10% of the boards are nearly dead (cracked, rotted, etc. - but still structurally safe...). even the kitchen looks nicer in pictures...

As for future deck work, we're wanting to keep it the same or a little bit smaller of a footprint, but make it all one level, and at the lower/lowest level. the upper deck is actually original to the house's construction, and the lower section was added (can tell the boards are newer, and are all screwed down instead of nailed like above. railing is also different). but quotes for that work were $9-$12 and most contractors didn't have time till winter. so instead we spent $500 and some time to clean it up and keep it functional for a few more years.

abc.thumb.jpg.120763e791c91acee86e8fb8153a7a82.jpg

def.thumb.jpg.755d69c0047eebc6d97c9f0ffd0de479.jpg

ghi.thumb.jpg.d063ccfe7567764f26f607fbc504667f.jpg

Edited by Flinkly
* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pull up and replace the damaged handful of deck boards. Before we replaced our deck, I would paint it every year (prior owners painted it), and I would replace one or two deck boards each year. Babied it along for about 10 years!

Pull up and replace the damaged handful of deck boards. Before we replaced our deck, I would paint it every year (prior owners painted it), and I would replace one or two deck boards each year. Babied it along for about 10 years!

mine was painted too, can still see it on the railings. i assume they didn't choose purple, but that's what color it is now after the sun got to it and no one maintained it for what looked like 5+ years.

we had lichen a half inch tall, the quite wide gaps between boards was usually filled with algea/moss/lichen/dirt so that water coudn't get through easily, etc. and the major rotted spots where were someone had potted plants with a drip system. so they essentially held water against the deck constantly for years. genius.

would have replaced a board, but was afraid of it standing out as new after it was stained with the rest. the color we chose came out much darker than expected though, so probably wouldn't be at all noticeable. we'll probably redo the deck within the next 5 years so not too concerned. all the boards are still quite serviceable, although they did soak up tons of stain on the first coat.

So my courtyard update. I was sweeping it and some dirt feel through. There is at least a 7 foot hole underneath the concrete pad (which is 10 inches thick) and the concrete and gravel "squares". Unsure what is actually holding up anything. Also unsure how wide this hole is.

I think some tree roots are helping. Terrifying that we walk on all this. I really wonder where all the dirt went.

http://i.imgur.com/x1yZ8rY.jpg

Simple answer to this is just demolish the slabs and fill the hole with gravel. Right? it's that easy:D Alternatively, I can just cut a hole in the top, put a cover over it and have my very own dump.

@Flinky, I am jealous that you already have the layout that you want. I would totally just refresh those cabinets. They look decent enough (and $7k is 7k).

Edited by Rhitter

So my courtyard update. I was sweeping it and some dirt feel through. There is at least a 7 foot hole underneath the concrete pad (which is 10 inches thick) and the concrete and gravel "squares". Unsure what is actually holding up anything. Also unsure how wide this hole is.

I think some tree roots are helping. Terrifying that we walk on all this. I really wonder where all the dirt went.

http://i.imgur.com/x1yZ8rY.jpg

Simple answer to this is just demolish the slabs and fill the hole with gravel. Right? it's that easy:D Alternatively, I can just cut a hole in the top, put a cover over it and have my very own dump.

@Flinky, I am jealous that you already have the layout that you want. I would totally just refresh those cabinets. They look decent enough (and $7k is 7k).

Holy chit! You need to figure this out ASAP. I hope the void doesn't extend under the house or garage. There is probably some drainage situation causing this, probably a broken or cracked storm drain or downspout tight line.

I assume you are refacing the kitchen cabinets if you're keeping most of them?

no, we'd just get 3 new cabinets with matching white thermal foil to change the sink location and use the space a little better. no refinishing of the existing. would replace the base cabinets to the left of the range.

well, sort of. we'll be paying a plumber to redo the sink water and drain for the new location, getting 3 new cabinets to use space better and move the sink, and i really want to remove about 5" off the wall to the right of the fridge. we got a counter depth fridge but can't push it in all the way cause you can't open the right door with that non counter depth wall. idiots. at least there isn't a footing below.

and the two pictures are both older pictures of our current kitchen arrangement. orange walls are from offer day, and brown walls are from listing. we have grey walls now and dishwasher and frisge are new, slate aplliances. new slate gas range and microwave in boxes in garage.

@rhitter, did you stick a tape measure through and it's actually 7 feet deep? could fill it as-is with play sand thru the crack. ;)

I did stick a measuring tape down and it is actually 7 feet. Unsure how wide. On the house side I have been in the crawl space right near this hole and it doesn't seem to go under the house / there is no evidence of it.

The garage is slightly sunk in the corner nearest this hole. My guess is it extends slightly under the garage. I think the water is coming from the front door area. There is a concrete path that's slightly angled that leads to the front door. I wondered where all the water was going because it wasn't appearing in the courtyard (where I would expect to see it). I think it's going into this area....

This seems $$$ to fix.

I guess pavers are looking better. They would allow the water to flow into ground all over, instead of into whatever the **** this sink hole is. Because where did all the dirt go!?

Edited by Rhitter

It looks like a sinkhole. I was able to peer down there. Luckily it looks like it's not under the garage or the houses foundation. It seems pretty contained.

However, my squat rack was set-up directly on top of this on a 4 inch square of free floating concrete. I have no idea what is supporting this piece on concrete...maybe some tree roots.

Unfortunately no bodies, so I guess I can't call the city and get them to do some of my excavation for me.

Edited by Rhitter

I would call a civil or soils engineer to come and look at it and make recommendations. Sink holes are caused by drainage patterns and just filling it will not fix it. The water is taking the dirt somewhere. These things can originate from broken storm drains in the street and it could potentially be subterranean under the garage, but not directly under the foundation....yet. I work for a civil engineer and know several soil engineers if you want me to put you in touch with someone. I would also call your City engineering department to find out what public storm drain facilities are nearby you. If you want help, I can make that call for you. Edited by GTEASER

Yeah, camera and LEDs for $15-30ish. I haven't found one with USB-C for my Google Pixel (haven't looked much though) but they have them for most everything else. For how often they get used, I couldn't bring myself to pay hundreds for a dedicated one.

Got plans from the City, nada for sewage / storm drains near here. They are contacting another city because their confidence on the accuracy of their plans is low.

Probably will order one of those cameras. I have been wanting one for awhile. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8IDD48/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AACQAJ816SDFM&psc=1

This one looks pretty good.

Edited by Rhitter