LegacyGT.com

Home improvement photos

CapnJack

Spent almost a full week in our new place and we're loving every minute. From the moment we got the keys and opened the door we felt at home. Not like moving into a new apartment where you get the weird out-of-place feeling- We truly feel home now. Have a few projects ahead of us, but the house is in great shape. I tell people it's build like a brick sh!t house since I can wake up hours before my wife on the weekends and not have to tip-toe around the house as to not create a stir

First home improvement project was replacing the raggety basketball hoop. Next up will be sanding and re-painting the backboard

1479415736_photo(2).thumb.jpg.2ff53ea6fd43bfe30789b073ceb3b60c.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we have an old hoop on our garage. I wish it was never there, but I know the siding behind it would be really discolored at this time due to sunfade. There are some rust spots below the hoop too from someone using the wrong type of screws. :/

I may replace it when my kid is old enough to shoot. Maybe lower it a few inches too, as its a bit high.

First home improvement project was replacing the raggety basketball hoop. Next up will be sanding and re-painting the backboard

[ATTACH]180512[/ATTACH]

Just get a new hoop. Those old fiberglass boards break and lose their bounce over time. The paint will probably chip off after shooting around for a couple weeks. That style backboard can be had for under $100 now.

I'll post pics when we move into our new house. It has a dedicated 40x25 court in the backyard. Eventually I'd like to extend it to 50x30 to have a college regulation width so can rain 3s all day. :lol: The bad part about it is that it has a hoop like ones you'd find at your local outdoor court. That thing looks like it'll be a total PITA to remove when I want to drop in a 72" Spalding hoop.

Just get a new hoop. Those old fiberglass boards break and lose their bounce over time. The paint will probably chip off after shooting around for a couple weeks. That style backboard can be had for under $100 now.

I'll post pics when we move into our new house. It has a dedicated 40x25 court in the backyard. Eventually I'd like to extend it to 50x30 to have a college regulation width so can rain 3s all day. :lol: The bad part about it is that it has a hoop like ones you'd find at your local outdoor court. That thing looks like it'll be a total PITA to remove when I want to drop in a 72" Spalding hoop.

Do you think a polycarbonate board will suffice or would you recommend splurging and getting a glass board? Keep in mind I only shoot around recreationally when friends are stopping by

Do you think a polycarbonate board will suffice or would you recommend splurging and getting a glass board? Keep in mind I only shoot around recreationally when friends are stopping by

Nothing at all wrong with a polycarbonate board (or acrylic, which is more popular). They look great, hold up well to abuse, and are relatively cheap. Just make sure it is secured as tightly as possible to give the maximum bounce.

Here's a nice one from Dick's. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=22456436&cp=4406646.4413887.4414024.4415109

Edited by StoplightAssassin

So 2 bathroom ranch house you want to put on the market. One bathroom remodeled keeping the existing bath tub. Second one demo'd completely. Do you put a second tub in or a tiled shower? Maybe a fitter with an integrated seat? Figure that might lure in some older buyers while still having the tub in the other bathroom.

tough call.... 2 full bathrooms is nice to write in a real estate listing...

Here's my thoughts, 1.75 baths will work for about 90% of the ppl looking for two bathrooms.

Regarding those 10% that want two full baths.... I'd say its worth doing the tub if the cost/effort for you to put in a tub is relatively the same as the shower stall.. If theres a cost difference and the shower is much cheaper/easier - just go with the shower.

How many bedrooms is the house? Is the full bathroom easily accessible from the bedrooms or is it in a family room or basement that is away from potential sleeping areas or nursery room?

I only ask because of what I am doing at my place. I a have a basement bathroom that I will be updating. It's not convenient to any bedrooms and its in a room that is opposite of a wet bar so I figure that a full bath would be a bit out of place. If I put a shower stall there, instead of a tub, it will leave me with room to add a urinal too, which is something that I've always wanted in my house.

Why don't people pit urinals in their homes? They make so much sense.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Yea, but I don't understand why. Especially with the modern design of some that are on the market in addition to the whole "Green" movement.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

It's 3 bedroom and the bath with tub is in the hallway that joins the 2 secondary bathrooms. The tub/shower decision is for the master which is attached to master bedroom. It's still a small 1980s bathroom so have to be space efficient. Cost wise, just throwing a new fitter with tub in there is probably cheapest. If we do shower it would be a pre-made pan then some fancy tilework for walls.

Thinking something with a partial wall like these:

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=73516&d=1271258977

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/00/a3/7d/00a37d499bc107dbffca53165f990c35.jpg

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i.imgur.com/pNMbfow.jpg[/img]

I'm a fan of this style with a full height glass door.

http://stylusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/decorations-accessories-bathroom-minimalist-34-glass-shower-stall-for-small-bathroom-design-ideas-inspiring-bathroom-shower-stall-design-for-modern-bathroom-ideas.jpg

As far as what I did today:

I finished up some drywall touch up stuff from replacing all the outlet and switch boxes and finished wiring up new 20a outlets, switches, and simple light fixtures. Next is to remove the trim in two rooms, sand the walls (paint buildup from top of trim), and paint. Stuff should go faster now that I have light in these rooms... had only day light while working on re-wiring.

After painting is done, I'm pulling up the carpet in two bedrooms, a connecting hallway, and the living room and refinishing the floors. Then I'm installing new base board trim and quarter round in the rooms and hallway, crown moulding in the bedrooms, and ceiling fans.

Lots of work but hoping it's done before mid summer... living in the extremely rough, roughed in attic bedroom in the summer SUCKS from a heat standpoint. I'd love to be on the main floor before too long to make the summer bearable.

Then I'm going to replace the entry doors. Then remodel the entire upstairs attic and almost straight copy what my neighbor did (his house from a structural standpoint is a carbon copy of mine built at the same time in the 40s)... I figure it should take less time though because he has a wife and 2 young kids and it's just my girlfriend and me.

• Moderators

I finished up some drywall touch up stuff from replacing all the outlet and switch boxes and finished wiring up new 20a outlets, switches, and simple light fixtures. Next is to remove the trim in two rooms, sand the walls (paint buildup from top of trim), and paint. Stuff should go faster now that I have light in these rooms... had only day light while working on re-wiring.

After painting is done, I'm pulling up the carpet in two bedrooms, a connecting hallway, and the living room and refinishing the floors. Then I'm installing new base board trim and quarter round in the rooms and hallway, crown moulding in the bedrooms, and ceiling fans.

Lots of work but hoping it's done before mid summer... living in the extremely rough, roughed in attic bedroom in the summer SUCKS from a heat standpoint. I'd love to be on the main floor before too long to make the summer bearable.

Then I'm going to replace the entry doors. Then remodel the entire upstairs attic and almost straight copy what my neighbor did (his house from a structural standpoint is a carbon copy of mine built at the same time in the 40s)... I figure it should take less time though because he has a wife and 2 young kids and it's just my girlfriend and me.

Been reading quite a few of you remodeling posts. Don't take this the wrong way, but did you basically buy a shithole with plans to fix it up? Just curious!

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I bought my grandma's house and she moved into a condo. It's been largely untouched since the late 80s aside from paint to her "tastes" or lack thereof.

I got for about 25% under market value so I've got no problem fixing it up. Sure, it takes away from car parts fun money but I'll get most (if not more) of my money out of a house versus a car where you almost always take a loss unless it's something like a McLaren.

I also enjoy working on stuff like this. I worked for a family friend doing home remodeling over a summer break one year in college. It was one of the most rewarding things to stand back at the end of a day and think "I did that with my bare hands." Now I get to do it in my own house.

• Moderators
I bought my grandma's house and she moved into a condo. It's been largely untouched since the late 80s aside from paint to her "tastes" or lack thereof.

I got for about 25% under market value so I've got no problem fixing it up. Sure, it takes away from car parts fun money but I'll get most (if not more) of my money out of a house versus a car where you almost always take a loss unless it's something like a McLaren.

I also enjoy working on stuff like this. I worked for a family friend doing home remodeling over a summer break one year in college. It was one of the most rewarding things to stand back at the end of a day and think "I did that with my bare hands." Now I get to do it in my own house.

Yeah, that's awesome man. I did carpentry / construction in the summers in between college and the skills I developed I'll carry on through life. More power to you, I was legitimately just curious about the situation.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I'm a fan of this style with a full height glass door.

Man this sounds like my house... :p It is definitely easier and faster to get stuff done when you're not living in the space. Keep up the good work, I want to do a shower like that too.

Yeah, that's awesome man. I did carpentry / construction in the summers in between college and the skills I developed I'll carry on through life. More power to you, I was legitimately just curious about the situation.

No worries. A couple people (not on here) have said my stories have scared them away from owning houses. :rolleyes: I'll never understand renting but that's just me.

Man this sounds like my house... :p It is definitely easier and faster to get stuff done when you're not living in the space. Keep up the good work, I want to do a shower like that too.

I'm hoping to have a shower like that once I add a bathroom to the upstairs bedroom turning it into a master suite. The bathroom on the main floor will retain the tub... although I might put a new one in. Now I'm getting ahead of myself. I still need new entry doors and 14 windows. :spin::eek:

The main floor is empty aside from the kitchen and the bathroom... pretty much living out of the bedroom upstairs which is making this easier. Once the two main floor bedrooms and living room are done, we'll move back downstairs and I can start on the upstairs. Or do the windows first. I haven't decided. :confused:

Edited by baconbits