LegacyGT.com

Fiberglass bumper and hood?

Long story short, I brought my car in to get cleaned/detailed about an hour ago, and as it turns out, the guy who owns the shop that's giving my a great deal noticed that my front bumper and hood are fiberglass. Since I have only owned my 08 2.5i for about 8 months now, I don't know if it was wrecked before I got it or not. The carfax was fine, but I'm starting to have my doubts. There is a spot where the paint is bubbling at the corner of the bumper on the driver's side, along with a bit of imperfections as if it was painted and not masked off very well.

The part that looks a bit messed up is the black bit that's sorta in line with the top of the fog openings underneath the grille. You can see the part I'm talking about in this picture, but this isn't my car:

http://img2.netcarshow.com/Subaru-Legacy_3.0_R_2008_800x600_wallpaper_05.jpg

Now, it could just be that whoever owned it before had it repainted because it got beat up from winter driving or something (I believe it was owned in NY before), or it could be that the guy got in a front end accident and had it replaced. I'm kinda leaning towards front end accident if the bumper and hood aren't fiberglass from the factory, but if they are, I'm leaning towards repaint only. I just don't know which because idk if the bumper and hood are fiberglass or not. It doesn't really bother me if the car has been in a wreck, but I'm just curious :) Thanks!

The hood on the 2.5i should be steel. It should also have a sticker in the drivers side corner by where your windshield wiper hose hooks up to the hood for the squirters with your vin on it. The hood should also be stamped somewhere on the frame that says SUBARU.

The bumper may be an aftermarket. It could be an ABS plastic infused with fiber strands making it look like fiberglass. I'm not sure if the OEM is this style or not. Otherwise it could be an OEM refinished bumper. If it had cracks in it or a hole, the refinishing company that did the bumper may have used fiberglass for the repair.

Archived