LegacyGT.com

How hard is it to install door speakers?

Sioux-BRue

I think that he is saying to buy or make spacers/adapters like mine and don't put $300s speaker in $2 repurposed OEM housings.

I know from hard experimental data that it's better to keep the stock paper whizzer-cone woofers and install them properly than it is to install high-end drivers into those crappy OEM adapters and untreated doors. Total waste of time, money and effort.

If I didn't have MDF laying around and if shipping were cheaper to where I am, I'd most certainly have bought those PE spacers of yours and saved time on the install.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

thanks for the awesome little "case study" fahrside. i'm getting together all the goods to upgrade the stock speakers in my 2005 LGT to polk mm6501s in the front and mm521s in the rear.

just ordered two sets of spacers from phenryiv1. though i don't have the spacers yet (just ordered them this morning), i have to vouch for him and his unbelievable customer service. he's been really responsive over this past week and has taken the time to answer all my questions and concerns.

judging from the pictures of other spacers he's made, i don't anticipate any problems, but would gladly report back for anyone who's curious.

I think that he is saying to buy or make spacers/adapters like mine and don't put $300s speaker in $2 repurposed OEM housings.

:lol:

In all seriousness, I started making and selling them not to make money (which I don't make much), but instead to help owners do the install correctly and get their speakers in the car with as little of a problem as possible. What I charge for a pair of spacers is what I'd be wliing to pay to NOT have to take a trip to the hardware store and to spend time in the shop figuring out how to make them right. I spent hours doing R&D on my design to get it right on the first install, tracing OEM speakers, transferring templates for the aftermarket speaker, being sure to clear the door panel, etc. From there I have revised the design a half dozen times.

If I were to start again from scratch, I could get it right in about an hour. But if someone had offered me a ready-made solution before I started, I would have taken that and never made my own product.

I bought 3 different brands of other adapters/spacers and junked 1, used 1 as a partial template, and returned the 3rd one because it just did not fit.

I made some rain shields out of dynamat that I had left over from the doing the doors - just over the top half of the speaker. I haven't pulled them out to check how they're doing but I'd be surprised if it hasn't held up well.

thanks for the awesome little "case study" fahrside. i'm getting together all the goods to upgrade the stock speakers in my 2005 LGT to polk mm6501s in the front and mm521s in the rear.

Oh boy. Rear speakers? Do a quick search on rear-fill, cancellation and comb-filtering before you buy drivers. If you listen to dance music and want the 'car full of sound' type of thing then go for it. If you care at all about staging or imaging then rear-fill is the work of the devil.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I finished my 4-door sound deadening and speaker install awhile back, including the underseat sub, and thought I'd share in the visual results (it all sound great).

This is the Passenger door's sound deadening treatment. The inner pannel was deadened as well, but it is hard to see:

http://www.donnypayne.com/images/qdig-files/converted-images/Outback/med_Door%20sound%20deadening%20completed%20speakers%20out.jpg

All Alpine SPS series speakers and stock Subaru under-seat Subwoofer. I used Patrick's spacers which made the install much easier after some minor modifications. It sounds about 100% better than the stock system and is what should have been installed by the factory...

Archived