LegacyGT.com

MPG for 5EAT Wagon

• Moderators

Coming from my previous '09 LGT with manual transmission I've been a bit disappointed in the mpg from the wagon. I calculate it manually and hover around 17mpg when doing my normal commute (28 miles round trip, in traffic) and get up to around 24/25mpg at the best of times. I flashed stage 1 on the AP and it seems to have lowered the mileage to what it is now. I guess I expected to see a bit closer to what I had from the '09 (seemed to be 22-24ish all the time) but that's not the case.

For those out there with 5EAT wagons (or sedans for that matter) are you seeing similar numbers? Is it common to have reduced MPG from going AP stage 1? I thought it was the other way around...

I'm not overly concerned over it (I bought the car to drive the damn thing, and annual fuel cost difference is not that much) but would like to see a bit better mileage if possible. Would getting rid of the AP and going pro tune help me out here in terms of both performance AND mpg?

Would like to hear from those out there who calculate their mpg. FWIW I'm also about to change out the trans fluid, spark plugs, and coolant if that matters at all (shouldn't except for maybe the plugs...)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators

thanks for the input guys, sounds about par for the course then. Man, switching from a manual sedan to a 5eat wagon really has a significant effect though, about a 20% drop in the mileage i'd say.

Whatever, the space is totally worth it and the annual fuel cost difference won't be all that much.

Same as Kouki.

Normal weekly commute 15 miles each way to work, 100% surface streets. Probably a few 10-20 mile mixed hwy/surface street trips for errands, hanging with friends, etc.

18 mpg pretty consistently, 20 if I don't have ANY fun all week, but I can't really do that often - I always give up halfway through the week and say F it.

I drive to big bear most weekends (maybe 240 miles round trip) I average 23 ish with 30% spirited mountain driving and 70% hwy cruising around 75. Long freeway only trips to vegas, etc. have resulted in an amazing 26 mpg. Most of this is on the trip meter, but every time I do the math it's dead on so I trust it pretty well.

I'm stg 1 infamous tuned with panel filter + catback + gutted up pipe + dying diff (I think that's a mod right?) My mileage didn't change noticeably after my tune. I could probably get 1 mpg better if I switched away from the rotella t-6.

• Moderators
That's a possibility, but 2mpg is 10% difference, I'm seeing up to a 33% difference (worst case scenario) from my 09 sedan (MT). No biggie, biggest factor is probably that I have a commute during rush hour now as opposed to my off hour commute (worked nights) when I had the '09.

For those out there with 5EAT wagons (or sedans for that matter) are you seeing similar numbers? Is it common to have reduced MPG from going AP stage 1? I thought it was the other way around...

Would like to hear from those out there who calculate their mpg.

I average ~20MPG around town with AP stage one on my 5EAT LGT sedan for the past 6 years or so.

(I don't do any highway miles so that's the only numbers I can give you)

FWIW, the winter blended gas in the Midwest sucks. I also get about 2 MPG more during the warmer months which is typical.

Same as Kouki.

Normal weekly commute 15 miles each way to work, 100% surface streets. Probably a few 10-20 mile mixed hwy/surface street trips for errands, hanging with friends, etc.

18 mpg pretty consistently, 20 if I don't have ANY fun all week, but I can't really do that often - I always give up halfway through the week and say F it.

I drive to big bear most weekends (maybe 240 miles round trip) I average 23 ish with 30% spirited mountain driving and 70% hwy cruising around 75. Long freeway only trips to vegas, etc. have resulted in an amazing 26 mpg. Most of this is on the trip meter, but every time I do the math it's dead on so I trust it pretty well.

I'm stg 1 infamous tuned with panel filter + catback + gutted up pipe + dying diff (I think that's a mod right?) My mileage didn't change noticeably after my tune. I could probably get 1 mpg better if I switched away from the rotella t-6.

Wondering why you think you'd get better mileage when not running rotella t-6. I'm running that oil and dont think I saw a dif w/ mpg???

Right now getting between 18 and 20 mpg, mixed commute. In the summer it's closer to 21 to 22mpg. If I keep my foot out of it on a highway cruise around 65mph, it's been up to ~25.5mpg; otherwise, it drops down to ~23.5mpg.

[/b]

Wondering why you think you'd get better mileage when not running rotella t-6. I'm running that oil and dont think I saw a dif w/ mpg???

In the hundreds of oil threads out there it's been stated here and there that switching from a 5-30 to a 5-40 will result in a very slight mileage decrease. I've used this oil since I've owned this car though so I can't compare personally, but it makes sense.

It's also been stated that pretty much every single oil out there is either horrible or great for your engine, and that rotella gives you 40 whp and extends engine life well beyond 400k miles. Maybe I'll try a 5-30 on my next change just to see. I like the price of Rotella, and it seems to be just fine. Dear god please don't let this turn into an oil thread.

Archived