LegacyGT.com

Brake piston stuck

So I started taking my front calipers apart today to rebuild and repaint them. Compressed air would only shoot one of the pistons out on each caliper, no matter how hard I blocked the free piston. Any ideas on how to get the other one out before I just fill them up with fluid and put them back on the car, block the free piston and step on the brakes?

I'd give up on them and pick up some 4-pots...
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

^This should work, I was just wondering if there were any other ideas before I did that.

4pots are not in the budget, and honestly I think would be overkill for a car that I'm probably never going to track and maybe only the occasional autocross. Not to mention the rotors and all are fairly new...maybe 10k on them. The car already stops fairly well and I drive pretty defensively making sure I leave at least 2-3seconds between me and the car in front of me.

Well, I ended up putting them back on the car and then had to block the pistons so that each would move a little, then allow extra room, then pump out some more, then allow extra room, etc. until either just one popped out and I was able to pull the other out, or they both popped out. This was easy with a disk brake spreader tool.

• I Donated

If I would have seen this before you got it figured out, I would have told you to put a c-clamp on each piston....pushing the brake pedal...then backing one of the c-clamps out a bit...then pushing the pedal...then back the other clamp....and alternate between the two until they were both far enough out to pull out by hand.

Rebuilding 2 pot calipers can be a pain sometimes

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived