LegacyGT.com

Swift springs are painful...

I just recently installed swift springs + Bilsteins Struts onto my car. I must say that the springs are pretty darn stiff and my cars bounce on every little small crack on the road.

My question is that if this is normal or should I get STi pink instead. I am looking for a balance of performance and comfort. I was told that Swift springs has those two attributes but my butt doesn't feel that way...

umm doesnt the OP mean swift are soft springs? i had ion springs they were pretty thick, heavy and stiff. i have swifts now its light and soft (bouncy on bumps) to me. im on stock bilsteins

Soft...? It always go "BOOM!" over a small little crack on the highway. It scares the shit out of my dates...it is getting rather embarrassing...

Do your bilstein struts move? Better yet is it really cold outside? That will make bilstein's very stiff I "THINK".

My mechanic checked the struts and they said they are all good. And it is about 8 degrees today and does it really affect the stiffness? :lol:

most aftermarket suspension is rock hard in the cold weather.

Huh? I typically find the opposite to be true. Typically you're running nice soft winter tires, so your suspension feels a ton softer in the cold weather. The weather itself should have no impact on spring/damper performance. If it's rock-hard in winter, it should be in summer as well.

I think the problem you're describing is likely the result of lowering springs and bumps. I had Cobb springs on my 08 LGT, and they behaved the same -- over any significant bump, you'd max out the suspension travel and get a big BOOM as the impact transferred to the chassis.

Go with Konis. I had the Swift springs on the stock Bilsteins on the Spec B and they rode

like crap. They were way too bouncy. The Konis are better matched and was a night and

day difference. I would highly recommend the swap if you intend on sticking with those

springs.

From what I hear, the dampening is not matched correctly for the Bilsteins to the Swifts.

They are much better with the Pinks, and the Pinks are not as an aggressive drop. The

Konis are valved better for more aggressive spring drops.

From what I hear, the dampening is not matched correctly for the Bilsteins to the Swifts.

They are much better with the Pinks, and the Pinks are not as an aggressive drop. The

Konis are valved better for more aggressive spring drops.

The comfort level of Pinks and Konis are similar but Konis has a more aggressive drop than Pink. Am I getting this right?

The Konis are the struts. Not springs.

I have not driven/ridden in a car with the Pinks, but there are a lot of people happy with

them.

I see...

I was told that Swift + Bilstein were a match made in heaven. Apparently not I guess.

My Cobb springs transferred a lot of road noise to the cabin. Along with some good teeth shattering moments. After moving to my Cusco coilovers, I'll never consider a set of springs again, for any car.

A harsh bump in the road on my way to work would make me cringe every time I went over it with the Cobb springs, but now it's like any other small bump in the road. Only think that I hear now is the slight chirping from all four corners as the shocks do their job.

I use to have Swift springs with stock struts. Ride was butter smooth until you hit a big bump, then was hell, like bump stop hell. Severely under-dampened.

Bilsteins are making your setup the opposite, over-dampened.

What would benefit you is to STOP looking at the individual parts and focus on how well TWO parts (springs and struts) pair together. If you don't pair them together, you're wasting your money and could get better performance out of stock.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I use to have Swift springs with stock struts. Ride was butter smooth until you hit a big bump, then was hell, like bump stop hell. Severely under-dampened.

Bilsteins are making your setup the opposite, over-dampened.

What would benefit you is to STOP looking at the individual parts and focus on how well TWO parts (springs and struts) pair together. If you don't pair them together, you're wasting your money and could get better performance out of stock.

Well, I was told that Swift is designed specifically for Bilsteins but doesn't feel like it.

I am running Spec B Bilsteins. Are there any difference? What is a bumpstops? Sorry for the noob question. :lol:

They're the rubber things that keep the metal suspension arms from crashing into the bottom of the car when your wheel goes all the way up at a big bump. Rubber cones.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Find a milder drop spring. Swifts are a big drop and you're basically on your bump stops. Especially with any serious freeway seams or potholes like we get here in Seattle.

My Eibach springs on Koni struts are a bit harsh sometimes. These cars just don't have a lot of suspension travel, at least not enough to ever feel like we're driving a bmw 3. I know, my wife has one. ;)

Well, I was told that Swift is designed specifically for Bilsteins but doesn't feel like it.

I've been told a lot of things. Honestly I'm a little surprised they don't pair well, but it is what it is. I get the feeling Bilsteins are over dampened for luxury ride, period. They take a stiff spring to make them work well. Maybe they do pair well, and you wish you had bought an A8. I don't know, could be anything. I still say koni struts and epic springs (rebranded eibach) are the best you're going to do, but then I've never been in a car with them before :lol:

I'm on coilovers, so they did the matching for me. Sorry I'm not much help. When I was in your spot I read a LOT of threads and hunted for reviews of the different pairings. Took a while, but eventually you start to get a good pulse on it.

Archived