LegacyGT.com

Replacement LWFW contributing to MPG drop?

My clutch had been slipping for about 6 months, requiring me to be very light on the gas pedal. On long trips I was getting 28-29 mpg. Now with the new clutch and flywheel, I'm getting 25-26. Would the drop be just from being able to accelerate "normally" now or does the drastic flywheel weight decrease make a difference? (from dual mass to lightweight FF502)

I think you answered your own question.

Drive like the clutch was slipping and find out.

I wouldn't whine about 25-26mpg.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators
How the hell are you people getting these mileage numbers? I get no where near the 25+ mpg that people are claiming. Is this from you dashboard display? If so, you cant really trust that to return an extremely accurate reading for your actual mileage...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Lightweight flywheel will decrease your mileage and its contrary to popular thought. Normally you would think that with less weight the motor has to move the less work to do and uses less gas. But here is the problem. A heavy flywheel promotes more momentum to keep the motor moving. A light weight flywheel will allow you to accelerate faster but will also let the motor slow down faster. This means you need to apply more throttle to keep the motor going and there fore more gas.

However Max brought out a good point. You were babying the car and probably arent as much now. So all in all, its a combo of things. I would say you could probably get that mileage being very light on the throttle if you try.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I have a LWFW and have not noticed any difference in mpg. It's been in there for over 72,000 miles.

Your mpg depends on a lot of things. If your dash reads anything over 24mpg your doing well.

If your getting below 20mpg for a normal reading something is wrong.

I have had a GT wagons since 1998, they have all gotten the same overall mpg.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I was thinking that was my issue for a short time. But a tank or two later the mpg was back up to 23 or better. This is in the 05. The Spec has seemed to have dropped a bit, but I'll check it again on this weekends trip back to VT. I think I need to drive at a slower speed...

BTW the wagon was getting 23.6 today, until the roll on from 78 to 115 up a long hill,coasting down the other side it read 20.8 mpg.

I see below 20 all the time...

but then again 90% of my driving is around town/city.

Like I said, driving around town and in the city, somthing is wrong, you need to move out into the country where you can relax and have fun with the HP. ;)

I do very little city driving.

I have had a GT wagons since 1998, they have all gotten the same overall mpg.

Yep.

Every Subaru I've owned, N/A or Turbocharged, have all gotten about the same fuel economy when considering "lifetime economy". My XT varies the most, though. As low as 22mpg and as high as 26, depending on where I'm going.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Yep.

Every Subaru I've owned, N/A or Turbocharged, have all gotten about the same fuel economy when considering "lifetime economy". My XT varies the most, though. As low as 22mpg and as high as 26, depending on where I'm going.

Funny store about a friend who bought a 05 2.5i Outback. She said the salesman told her the car would get 24-26mpg. I told her no, you won't get that mpg. She said, oh yes she would, the salesman told her that.

She came back a few months later and said she's only getting 22-24mpg. May be now she'll listen to what I say....yea right...

Archived