LegacyGT.com

Changed Rear Dif Fluid and Found a Tooth

PutnamCO

I changed my tranny and rear diff fluids a few days ago, and found what appears to be a tooth on the magnetized rear diff plug. Looks more like a tooth off a spider gear rather than the pinion, but I'm really not sure. The link to the tooth is below (pics with the penny) and there was no other debris on the plug.

I am good about changing the fluid, and use Extra S, except for the fluid I just emptied out of the diff. I have not noticed any change in behavior of the rear wheels in corners or variable surfaces.

Any thoughts on what exactly this is, and how bad it is to be missing a tooth?

http://putnamco.shutterfly.com/pictures

Definitely looks like a spider gear tooth. I'd go easy on the gas in tight corners until you find out for sure.

Maybe pull the cover to take a look.

Yeah, I'll have to do that one of these weekends. It's strange that, as far as I can tell, no one else has experienced this.

To pull the cover you have to lower the diff from the chassis. It's not a 10 minute job.

You got a few months before you need to replace the diff.

I found mine by doing a goggle seach for a used r160 diff.

Hint, before you install the new diff make sure you can get the fill/drain plugs out. I had to pull the new diff back out to swap out the covers. Someone burried the fill plug.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

new diff is not just a bolt-on. You have to set the pinion depth and carrier preload, if you want to put a new diff in your existing pumpkin housing. So buying a rear pumpkin with a diff in it, and just bolting that in is simple and shouldn't take long.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

new diff is not just a bolt-on. You have to set the pinion depth and carrier preload, if you want to put a new diff in your existing pumpkin housing. So buying a rear pumpkin with a diff in it, and just bolting that in is simple and shouldn't take long.

Luckily one of my best friends is a master tech, so if I choose to put a new diff in the existing housing, he could help me do that. Thanks for the info.

It's not really worth finding a bare diff to put in the existing housing. Any money you'd save, would be lost in the time it takes you to swap.

Finding a diff, already in a housing, isn't tough and the swap is essentially a few minutes.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Lots of good info here. The op needs to decide if he wants to find a low mileage used rear end. (I wasn't talking about just changing the insides.) I do the R&R.

If he has the time to remove his have his buddy tell him what parts he needs, order them, assemble then re-install the rear end that may be the way to go.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Lots of good info here. The op needs to decide if he wants to find a low mileage used rear end. (I wasn't talking about just changing the insides.) I do the R&R.

If he has the time to remove his have his buddy tell him what parts he needs, order them, assemble then re-install the rear end that may be the way to go.

The only limitation with this is that my LGT is my daily driver. Maybe I'll find a used one and re-sell it if I can fix the old one.

Don't forget to put it under your pillow tonight ;-)

After that, I'm going to make a necklace out of it.

Archived