LegacyGT.com

sonofa...5MT whining, should I start saving $$?

iNVAR

Ugh... Not what I wanted to hear... this sucks sucks sucks. Anything else I should be looking to do? Drain the tranny again and see what's in the fluid maybe? Or don't even bother? This suuuuuuuuuuuuucks sucks sucks...

I feel like I screwed myself, caused by running low on the fluid... :(

Apart from the whine, the car drives perfectly normal, no difficulty engaging/disengaging gears. And to elaborate on the whine, it sounds like like a dog gear transmission, but not as loud.

Also, what do you think may be causing the whine? Tranny bearing? That's what I came across on my searches...

I don't like the idea of waiting if it's repairable now at a cheaper price than it would cost to wait for it to fail completely. Also, if it's fixable now but not later when it fails catastrophically, I limit my options to complete replacement, and I'm also out a car when it might be during an inconvenient time.

If it costs less to rebuild things now and replace the damaged parts, why not do it? Why not yank the tranny, have them open it up, replace the bearings, and possibly the syncros too while they're in there, and then keep going with it?

Fresh fluid should def provide some insight to how bad it might be and should provide you more time to decide what you're gonna do.

I still think you're freaking out a little fwiw. Have a professional trans shop tell you what's going on, let them drive it and do the trans fluid service. It could be a simple fix for all we/you know.

If you can do the swap youself or with a friend/family, source a 5spd for $1000 to $1500 and swap it. Repair and sell the old one at your lesiure. Minimal downtime but without the benefit of a "new" tranny. Just another option.
Thanks, I'll keep this idea in mind too... I hate the idea of not knowing what the actual condition of the tranny is.

Fresh fluid should def provide some insight to how bad it might be and should provide you more time to decide what you're gonna do.

I still think you're freaking out a little fwiw. Have a professional trans shop tell you what's going on, let them drive it and do the trans fluid service. It could be a simple fix for all we/you know.

Hmm, okay. Let me ask around for some places that are good and order up some more ExtraS and bring it to them and have them do a diagnostics while there.

Brand new 5MT from Heuberger is $2700. Keep in mind for cost-benefit analysis versus mechanic cost of rebuilding.
Thanks. $2700 doesn't sound so bad for brand new 5MT direct swap in... The 6MT swap you mentioned earlier would cost way too much though.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9dRsS184EQ]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9dRsS184EQ[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxN4HeHHayY]www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxN4HeHHayY[/ame]

Hopefully the audio is clear and you can hear the third gear whine. it's clearer in part 1.

Also, something I neglected to mention. About two years ago, I had noticed some intermittent grinding when shifting from 2->3. Nothing terrible, but it was there. Didn't happen during every shift, but on some of them, definitely. Thought it might've just been notchiness, but had considered it was a synchro going too. It never got any worse. Perhaps that has something to do with it... Maybe it was a synchro going bad.

Yeah, I described the issue to a friend of mine who deals with subies. He's inclined to believe that it's a bearing as well, possibly resulting from the synchro sucking ass in the last few years... Gonna try to get the car to him and see what we can do... :(

Update from a PM I sent to someone... Relevant info:

A little note I should've updated in the thread, oops. I think I must've misread the tranny dipstick the more I think about it. The ground outside of my garage is on a VERY slight incline, and as such, I think the dipstick reading was affected. It was probably really midway full when I pulled the stick, but due to the incline, it read very low. As such, I do NOT think I was losing fluid! DOH!!

I checked it again yesterday on level ground, and it's definitely overfilled a good amount, ugh. It appears to be leaking from somewhere, possibly the drain plug now. I'm such an idiot.

Yeah, I plan on draining it soon to see how the fluid looks and maybe get a better idea of what's going on inside. My other mechanic was reluctant to drain it because he said it would come gushing out, so he suggested waiting a bit because since it was leaking anyway, it would level out.

I can give you the name of my buddy in Windsor Locks CT who rebuilt my tranny if you'd like. The tranny can ship for around $100 or less FedEx.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I can give you the name of my buddy in Windsor Locks CT who rebuilt my tranny if you'd like. The tranny can ship for around $100 or less FedEx.
Thanks! But going to pass for now. Have an update!

Update:

Mostly confirmed with AZP installs it's a tranny problem.

Jake took a spin in my car this past Friday and he believes it to be a bearing, coupled with a 3rd gear synchro going bad. Said it shouldn't cost me too much to get these replaced so I'll most likely do that.

He also said most likely nothing's about to just blow up on me, so I have a good amount of time before I really HAVE to get this done. The fluid is still clear, no metal shavings/particles from pulling the stick, and eventually the fluid level will level out from the leaking. It's not overfilled too badly.

For anyone who ever had any doubts, AZP Installs is awesome. Thanks to them, and especially Jake for taking some time out of his busy day!

And thanks to everyone for the input thus far!

Archived