LegacyGT.com

50/50 mod for those who cant find there tcm

If your like me, your car is not a standard awd automatic. and by that i mean you have no tcm.

well i called a local Subaru tech and he said it may be part of the ecu. and i think hes right.

i looked in my fsm and i found the duty c wire to be not is connector b54 on the tcm. but on terminal 11-4,8.

now can any one comferm that this connector is on the ecu?

btw if your wondering wth i'm talking about read this..

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f8/t99075-4eat-diff-lock-switch-handbrake-mod-torquemada-lite.html

i'm a little lost.

what car? 97 legacy GT wagon?

what trans? 4eat auto trans?

your car does have a TCU unless it has a manual trans.

if you car has a manual trans, there is no mod for a 50/50 split. the center diff on manual trans cars is all mechanical. it is a viscous coupling.

so what are you trying to do?

if you can't find the TCU you should not be attempting ANY mods near the ECU. you might kill it.

the TCU is under the dash, driver side, left of the steering column. lie on your back and look up. remove the lower panel of the dash below the steering column if you have to.

and what car are you working on? model, engine, trans, miles?

its a 1997 legacy gt swagon and 4eat of course. i have done this mod before. easy as pie. but now trying to do it on my 97 the tcm is not there. i have heard other people that cant find their tcm and they did have a auto. some cars across subarus line up did get the tcm mounted in the traditional place above the break pedal.

the tech at st cloud subaru even said it may be built in to the ecu

ok, i'm impressed.

i have never heard of a subaru, 90 - 99 with no TCU.

but i have never seen your subaru either.

BUT, i would suggest you look again.

if there is no TCU then the wiring harness would be different. and in all the parts manuals i have looked at there is no allowance for a different AT wiring harness.

look again.

then why is my fsm so different. have to seen my fsm before too?

and i have found my tcm before...in my 96. its in plain sight. my 97 and i know another guys 98 from europe had the same problem. the tcm is not there! im asking if or where it is in the car.

what does terminal 11-4,8 mean? i wish it would of said what connector number it was.

iv been told to look again to many times.

i have spent the last half hour calling dealerships across the country and talking to techs. im currently calling performance shops and dealerships on the west coast.

this is not a joke. its a mod thats been done many times on rs25 and with alot of forestors. its use ranges from late 80's cars to 2004. roughly.

the problem is that not one of the 30 plus dealerships i have called have been able to help locate the tcm. this is turning into a bit of a challenge. the Tcm Challenge.

maybe you too have one of the oddball subarus, go check for yourself, chance are that the tcm is right there next to the break pedal and you'll ask how in the world can someone not see it. simple, its somewhere else. lucky me.

• 1 year later...
Somewhere in the 50/50 thread were a couple of people who couldn't find their TCUs. I don't know if there was ever any explanation but they even took photos of where it should be- and nothing. Theirs probably is on top of the airbag but I don't recall that being mentioned in the original thread.

Any other locations to look? abs control unit is where I expected to find the tcm, there is nothing above the airbag unit. This is a jdm 250t rhd 1996.

the abs control unit in my car was all the way to the right side of the car inside the dash. sense your abs is where the tcm should be maybe your tcm is where the abs normally is? simple logic?

Archived