LegacyGT.com

Koni's/stock sways or KYBw/aftmkt sways?

Shotokan1509

Choose  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Choose

• Spend it all on the Koni's!
    • Save with KYB's but the upgraded sways/links for better handling

Struts will have the biggest impact followed by springs.

Sways only reduce... Sway

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I don't think KYB offers a higher-end strut for the LGT eh? I used to run the KYB AGX units on my old GF Impreza and was quite happy with them. It doesn't look like KYB offer a fixed-perch adjustable damping strut for the LGT platform and IMO the non-adjustable units are basically OE quality... not more and not less.

Now I run Konis on my GH8 and it's definitely an upgrade in sophistication and smoothness, even with very comparable spring rates.

Spend on the Konis now. You can always buy sway bars and end-links.... later.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I don't think KYB offers a higher-end strut for the LGT eh? I used to run the KYB AGX units on my old GF Impreza and was quite happy with them. It doesn't look like KYB offer a fixed-perch adjustable damping strut for the LGT platform and IMO the non-adjustable units are basically OE quality... not more and not less.

Now I run Konis on my GH8 and it's definitely an upgrade in sophistication and smoothness, even with very comparable spring rates.

Spend on the Konis now. You can always buy sway bars and end-links.... later.

Yes the KYB's are basically factory, just not worn like mine. Not going to be a later on the sways if I go Koni's... but still sounds like you are saying the Koni's alone would correct more handling issues than KYB/sway combo.

Depends on what sort of issues you want to correct. Stiffer dampers do go some way to reducing body roll but not as much sways. I am saying the Konis are just nicer to drive around on.

If you want less roll more than anything else, get sways and whatever dampers you can afford. Any of the KYB units will be as least as good as stock.

If you want a smoother or more controlled ride, get better dampers. Remember that a swaybar is also a spring but one that the dampers do not control very efficiently. Any undamped spring in the suspension is a bad thing.

If it's a question of only getting aligned once don't worry about this... you don't need an alignment for a swaybar install. If it's a cost thing shop for a take-off STi swaybar.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Depends on what sort of issues you want to correct. Stiffer dampers do go some way to reducing body roll but not as much sways. I am saying the Konis are just nicer to drive around on.

If you want less roll more than anything else, get sways and whatever dampers you can afford. Any of the KYB units will be as least as good as stock.

If you want a smoother or more controlled ride, get better dampers. Remember that a swaybar is also a spring but one that the dampers do not control very efficiently. Any undamped spring in the suspension is a bad thing.

If it's a question of only getting aligned once don't worry about this... you don't need an alignment for a swaybar install. If it's a cost thing shop for a take-off STi swaybar.

The bodyroll does bother me the most, problem is how much is related to my worn struts (which obviously can not be decided over a messageboard).

It's a cost thing because I am not supposed to be modding this car.. I tend to do the "welll, while Im doing that I should do this tooo" and next thing I know it's all done, rides stiff, hurt the bank account etc. I am not expecting it to corner flat like the mustang. So basically drawing the line, it needs bushings & struts, I'll spend a little bit extra to upgrade but not 2g's.

The bodyroll does bother me the most, problem is how much is related to my worn struts (which obviously can not be decided over a messageboard).

It's a cost thing because I am not supposed to be modding this car.. I tend to do the "welll, while Im doing that I should do this tooo" and next thing I know it's all done, rides stiff, hurt the bank account etc. I am not expecting it to corner flat like the mustang. So basically drawing the line, it needs bushings & struts, I'll spend a little bit extra to upgrade but not 2g's.

I started backwards as some would say...

1st suspension mod was Whiteline offset rear LCA bushings w/ front LCA bushings and steering rack bushings. This made a fantastic improvement on steering, but doesn't really affect anything else.

Next I installed a 20mm JDM RSB. I didn't have the funds for good endlinks at the time and when one of the originals broke I replaced them with OEM style. I wish I had gotten Kartboys, but I can always do that later and install a RSB mount at the same time. The RSB reduced noticeable roll on curves and made my daily commute more fun (state highways with lots of twists, turns etc.) Roll was the only improvement with the RSB

Finally I installed Eibach springs and Koni struts. This made the most dramatic improvement. The Koni's, while they work with the springs and sways to control roll, if turned all the way up my car has hardly any roll; but the ride is rough. Turned all the way down, my car has quite a bit of roll, but the ride is more comfortable. I settled on the Koni's about 1/4 turn from full soft. My car rides/handles fantastic on twisty roads and the highway, but around town (we have bad roads) it sucks. Part of me wishes I had just gone with KYB, but oh well.

Last I

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

The struts do control body roll to a degree, but not as much as springs or sways. The problem with spring swaps is that most aftermarket stuff is just much too short. With Imprezas will can always use OE STi springs for a subtle increase in spring rate. Not sure if there is anything for you though I use GRF springs on LGT Konis on my GH8.

I would not fit stiffer sways without upgraded links. Upgrade links would a good crutch to a stock bar. Maybe you can get the KYB units, some slightly heavier OE bars and aftermarket links for a balanced package.

Archived