LegacyGT.com

Tuning out shift knock

MasAyinde

So I was seeing shift knock almost all the time caused by a delay in the ECU responding when I got on the throttle. This resulted in lean conditions that had me knocking going into most gears and killing power, lowering my IAM to .8750 and still having FLKC of -4.2 in cells where I was shifting into the next gear. I had scaled my MAF and had -2.3 in the A column, and B, C, and D were all within +/- .3. Even after this, I was still seeing a delayed response when I got on the throttle. I read through the Scooby tuning guide and decided to play around with my injector latency. This has almost completely solved shift knock for me. No I can pull logs all day and instead of seeing -11 or -8 FBKC going into another gear, I saw -2.11 three times in a half hour of city driving going through gears. There are still some more adjustments to be made as my column A is now -15, so I might have to do some closed loop rescaling. I flashed on Friday and my FLKC table is completely clean after 3-4 WOT runs and the IAM is staying at 1. I need to play with the MRP table and scaling since after flashing the new map, I'm stumbling badly around 2300 RPM.

Also, add the "final fueling base" parameter" to your log profile, run through the gears a couple times, and let me know what that parameter is doing.

The slow transition to 20:1 might just be due to the O2 sensor's response time. Or not. FFB should help shed some light on that.

Thanks. Notice how FFB is at or below 10:1 where the knock happens? Your actual AFR is probably following it pretty closely, the sensor just can't react fast enough to show it.

It might be coincidence, or it might be cause-and-effect, to be honest I don't really know. But I think we can keep FFB from dipping that low, and then we'll see what happens. And even if it doesn't fix the shift knock, I am pretty sure it will help with the "delayed throttle response" that you mentioned.

The second post in this thread has some stuff you can add to the EcuFlash definition XML for your car:

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7864

The "Fueling - Load Change Compensation" tables are the ones that are causing your FFB to dip rich after you shift gears and go back to WOT. The text above the table definitions explains which ones to modify, and how to modify them, and there's a screenshot to the tables in my ROM.

Do you have a FMIC or a TMIC? I've only logged this on my car, which has a FMIC, and I've been curious about how much this impacts cars with TMICs.

Also, please add Primary Open Loop Enrichment & Total Ignition Timing to your logger profile. POL basically just shows what's in your fueling table. Hopefully FFB will match it when load is above 1.2 g/rev. (FFB will still dip a little bit rich at low load, but that actually helps driveability.)

You'll need to:

1) install EcuFlash.

2) find the A2WC521N.xml file in the "c:\program files\openecu\ecuflash\rommetadata\subaru\legacy gt\" directory.

3) make a copy of that file, like A2WC521N.bak, just in case

4) open the A2WC521N.xml file with notepad.

5) paste the XML in that message into A2WC521N.xml

It's kind of hard to explain exactly where the paste the XML, but if you look at what's already in the file, I think you'll see where to put the new stuff. Basically, goes right above the existing <table ...> stuff.

Then open your ROM in EcuFlash, and the new tables should be visible.

You'll need to paste the XML in that thread into the A2WC521

Archived