LegacyGT.com

Valve Job

so im looking in the book to do the valve job and it just says to take it to a machine shop. doesn't actually give me a procedure to do this. now can i just replace the bad valves with new one or must i take it somewhere to machine it? they were not bent to bad, about 1/16th of an inch. enough for a couple cracks of light to get through. only intake valves on both heads are bad. the exhaust all have no light getting through.

also i removed the springs and just wondering how i get them out, do i take a deep socket and place over and whack with a hammer and it just pops out?

If your going with new valves, you can do it yourself.. but you need to lap the valves in yourself which can be a laborious duty if done by hand. Make sure you get a proper lapping compound and be careful when doing so. If you have the heads off, might as well check them for warpage while they're out.

For someone that has never done head before you are better to take them in. The smallest leak can cause major power loss and issues. The valves seats must be replaced, which requires tooling if you put new valves in. To remove a valve spring you must remove the collet using a valve spring compressor. I have this one and would recommend it to anyone that must work on subaru heads.

http://www.euroexportinc.com/store/tools/subaru-valve-spring-compressor-tool.html

Like I said before heads are not a weekend mechanic task. Most machine shops will charge anywhere from $300 to $700 for a set of heads. This all is based on what needs to be done. Some heads will need all new valves, new seats, face resurfaced, came journals polished, etc.

If you were on the west coast I could give you a contact for my machine shop, he does very nice work and is currently building my new motor.

If you have any questions let me know. I am not trying to degrade your ability, just do not want you to try to take on a task you cannot do properly without the knowledge and tooling.

ok... now do i just remove and replace? because intake valves are 7.99 a peice and ill need 8. i got the spring compressor from adv auto. doesnt have the adaptor but i something that works, how do i remove the valve? hit it through with a hammer?

and @subikid, im not too car illiderate, this is just my first foreign car and ive never done cams before. i understand its risky but i believe i can do it. just need a good understanding. and the books not helping.

ok... now do i just remove and replace? because intake valves are 7.99 a peice and ill need 8. i got the spring compressor from adv auto. doesnt have the adaptor but i something that works, how do i remove the valve? hit it through with a hammer?

and @subikid, im not too car illiderate, this is just my first foreign car and ive never done cams before. i understand its risky but i believe i can do it. just need a good understanding. and the books not helping.

You should be able to just push the valves out once you remove the springs, most of the time they fall out.

Archived