LegacyGT.com

OK to Lug a 2.5 GT? Also, a dash /cubby question

I've driven diesels, VW boxers and V8s most of my life- common denominator with all of these is power from 1500rpm up so I'm wondering if driving in the style I'm used to is harming my 2.5GT (Stage 2). It doesn't buck like an older car would do so I wondered if I'm doing harm to the valves or otherwise by driving in the 1800rpm range. If I need to move the rpms up, what's a good compromise?

Secondly, before I rip the dash apart, is there anything below the dash around the area of the cubby? I'd like to put a center speaker (small, with about 3" depth) in that area but would like to see if the area below the dash above the cubby is jammed with "stuff" or has enough room to drop a speaker in there. Yes, I could rip things apart to see for myself but figured I'd ask first.

As long as you don't hear the drivetrain making any funny noises you shuld be fine driving at 1800rpm.

With my LWFW if I go below 40mph in 5th gear I the driveline let's me know it's not happy.

With the stock or single mass FW you can go slower in higher gears.

You also need to blow the carbon out every now and then.

I have no idea about the dash question, to me it's not worth the effort if it doesn't ad HP.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

As long as you don't hear the drivetrain making any funny noises you shuld be fine driving at 1800rpm.

Are 'funny noises' gear chatter, clutch chatter type noises? I have those somedays between 1800 - 2500 rpm, and somedays it isn't there.

For the dash question, I don't think there is room for a speaker behind/above the cubby. There is ducting and foam in there for your hvac

Are 'funny noises' gear chatter, clutch chatter type noises? I have those somedays between 1800 - 2500 rpm, and somedays it isn't there.

Mainly a vibration. the clutch chatter can be fixed by side stepping the clutch pedal with the tranny in neutral. Just push in the clutch and take you foot off the pedal as afast as you can, it will slam to the top and the chatter is gone for a while.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Lug away! I miss being able to do that. My LWFW and HD pressure plate make awful noises, vibrations and chatter below 2,000 RPM... I've also seen a drop in fuel economy now that I need to keep the revs up.

I haven't seen a drop in mpg, have you cleaned your MAF and IAT sensor lately ?

For the dash question, I don't think there is room for a speaker behind/above the cubby. There is ducting and foam in there for your hvac

I haven't heard any noises from the drivetrain nor has the engine lugged or bucked; figured I was just lucky or the beneficiary of modern engine management. I'll be sure to run a bottle of tech through the fuel tank before oil changes I guess to "blow out the carbon".

Bummer on the cubby; will have to yank it out and see if there's room at all.

I'll be sure to run a bottle of tech through the fuel tank before oil changes I guess to "blow out the carbon".

QUOTE]

Thats a can of motor flush in the oil fill tube and idle for 5 minutes then change the oil.

Not sure what your talking about, a bottle of tech ?

Also don't remember if you ever drive the car at normal highway speeds to get the oil hot enough to boil the water out of it. If not you better change your oil more often.

These things need to be driven, not babied.

Yeah- no babying here, just a lot of slow traffic.... Techron is an additive from Sunoco that you dump in your fuel just before an oil change and it helps keep things cleaned out or that's the promise. I think GM makes one you dump into the oil itself- is that what you're referring to? I only use the techron because it was popular in BMW circles.

I'll tell you the auto likes to keep the rpms around 2k if that helps any.

The hell you say.

My wifes LGT w/5EAT likes to cruise around town at ~1,500 all day long by making every attempt to get to the highest gear as fast as it can.

I could swear that it would even be happy around 1,200 but when I drive I keep it in sport/manual so I cannot be certain of the lowest RPM it would do.

Well now I have to try it out. :redface:

Archived